Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283561 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #350 on: July 15, 2014, 08:08:07 PM »
Devoured my first Seacrest, which was supplied by Rob over the weekend. No pictures, but nicely ripened to a full yellow color. Very Citrusy undertones with the flavor, somewhat more understated than lemon zest. Gotta say, I'm digging the citrusy mangoes that I have tried this year. Very pleasing flavor. Super juicy and delicious.

Seacrest is definitely a top tier mango, up there with the best. Of the ones I tasted this year, I most enjoyed the Seacrest, Coconut Cream, Val Carrie and the Guava mango. Another variety that made it to the "best of" list for me was the Peach mango. It is small but incredibly delicious.
Funny, these were my four favorite of the year too...
#1--Coconut Cream really knocked my socks off...much better than I had last year..I can now see why this was patented...I even sent some guys from the fire dept over to Walters and they are planting this now at their houses
The
#2--Seacrest---citrusy, sweet..excellent. My girls say it's their favorite now.. I would plant this if given the opportunity..
#3--Guava--excellent, complex, with slight guava flavor
#4--Valcarrie--another top mango with great flavor

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 16, 2014, 08:04:49 AM »
Devoured my first Seacrest, which was supplied by Rob over the weekend. No pictures, but nicely ripened to a full yellow color. Very Citrusy undertones with the flavor, somewhat more understated than lemon zest. Gotta say, I'm digging the citrusy mangoes that I have tried this year. Very pleasing flavor. Super juicy and delicious.

Seacrest is definitely a top tier mango, up there with the best. Of the ones I tasted this year, I most enjoyed the Seacrest, Coconut Cream, Val Carrie and the Guava mango. Another variety that made it to the "best of" list for me was the Peach mango. It is small but incredibly delicious.
Funny, these were my four favorite of the year too...
#1--Coconut Cream really knocked my socks off...much better than I had last year..I can now see why this was patented...I even sent some guys from the fire dept over to Walters and they are planting this now at their houses
The
#2--Seacrest---citrusy, sweet..excellent. My girls say it's their favorite now.. I would plant this if given the opportunity..
#3--Guava--excellent, complex, with slight guava flavor
#4--Valcarrie--another top mango with great flavor

And where did you guys get these from?  Walter Zill in east Boynton?
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 16, 2014, 08:11:43 AM »
Yes, they are from Walter's and Verna's.  Unfortunately they are done for the season.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 16, 2014, 11:56:41 AM »
Rob, is it a Top-Five mango, a Top-Ten, or neither?  In your opinion, of course.
Kent is Top five due to when it comes in, after the mid July South Florida mango glut, mango peak. So it will not beat prime July mangoes, and the new Zill mangoes, but those are eaten and gone when Kent rolls in

Thanks, zands.  Rob, what do you think?

Top 5 in general?  No, its not that good but rating a mango when compared to thers is very variable.  It might perform better if the Kent was picked and ripened optimally and it was up against/compared to some of the other late season varieties or it was tasted along side of a possible better variety that was not ripened properly or just a bad specmen.

I do think, when at its best, is easily better than Keitt, Gold Nuggett or a poor Neelam however a properly ripened Beverly or Neelam will be tough to beat.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 16, 2014, 12:18:44 PM »
Yes, they are from Walter's and Verna's.  Unfortunately they are done for the season.

Then we'll try them next year.  What do the Zills still have available or coming up?  Does anyone sell Mahachanok mangos?  Maybe Truly Tropical?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:23:48 PM by johnb51 »
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 16, 2014, 03:23:48 PM »

Then we'll try them next year.  What do the Zills still have available or coming up?  Does anyone sell Mahachanok mangos?  Maybe Truly Tropical?

Check the "buy/sell" section for what is currently available.  I see they updated it today.  I know they will also have Keitt available soon.  I also suggest just stopping by, other than what they list, you never know what odds and ends may be available.
- Rob

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 17, 2014, 11:44:23 PM »
Here is an Elephant Tusk mango I picked up from Truly Tropical

This was my first time trying this mango, definitely interesting shape and name, though to me looks more like a rhino horn than elephant tusk ; ) This mango was a nice size weighing in at ~1.4lbs and 6.5in in length. The outside color was a yellowing green which felt soft and ready to eat despite the green patches. Upon cutting open the mango I noticed it had jelly seed surrounded by bright yellow flesh. This jelly seed was not pleasing and I still ate the fiberless flesh around the long slender seed. Out of all the mangos I have ever eaten, this mango tasted the most like banana, and to be more specific a green banana.... Unfortunately, I am not a fan of green bananas and likewise didn't really enjoy this mango, but it very well could have been I needed a better specimen to sample. All subjective taste aside, above are the pics.

-joep450

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 24, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »
Simmonds

The flesh was dark orange, fiberless and reminded me of the texture of canned peaches in syrup. It left a fair amount of juice on the cutting board and fingers.  It has a moderately sweet, citrusy taste that I found mellow and agreeable... like Sunny Delight beverage. As the flesh melted in my mouth, I got a distinct hit of the "cola syrup" flavor pattern found in the ZINC and Sweet Tart.. and then, finally, a sub-resinous & faintly "clean" taste. To me it tasted like an Edward X ZINC cross - less sweet than the Edward, less chalky & cola-y than the ZINC.  Smooth, no spicy or sour. A vintage mango cultivar of good eating quality.

Source: Squam256's mango stand at 1010 Camelita Rd, WPB, FL

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 24, 2014, 11:52:34 PM »
Great review (and pictures) of the 'Simmonds' mango fruit, thank you Brett.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 28, 2014, 08:20:15 AM »
Valencia Pride

Originally a Haden seedling. This one is believed to come from a S. Florida commercial production crop. Flesh is yellow and has a little more subtle fiber (let's call it 'texture') than the smooth, creamy Edwards-type mangos. Moderately sweet, suave and delicious "tropical" taste. Flavor notes of: tangerine, plant-ripened pineapple, longan and coconut water. Almost no resin flavors, pleasant orange juice aftertaste.

Source: Don Victorio's Produce Market - 7504 S Dixie Hwy, West Palm Beach, FL 33405. A good source for for seasonal tropical fruit, local and imported.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: July 28, 2014, 02:01:34 PM »
That VP in the picture does not even look like its fully ripe. they are really good tasting, your description is spot on though.  bit of pineapple coconut thing  going on for sure.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 28, 2014, 05:11:44 PM »
The VP in Brett's picture looks pretty ripe to members. Dirty but ripe.  His description is pretty spot on except I cannot say I have ever detected any coconut or Longman taste. The citrus with a hint of pineapple acidity seems to dominate and be the basic overall flavor. If I had to guess, if there was any taste of longan I would say it may have been a touch overripe.
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 28, 2014, 08:45:21 PM »
Here is a San Felipe mango, next to an LZ for perspective. It is large, colorful, not at all unpleasant.

This particular fruit was plucked from a young tree; I suspect in later years the fruit will have a richer flavor.

For more info: http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/san-felipe-mango.shtml

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:14:11 PM by mangomandan »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 28, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
Dan - was that overripe or did it have some jelly seed issues?
- Rob

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 28, 2014, 09:05:24 PM »
Rob, I don't think there was jelly seed. Flesh was firm, even by seed, no off flavors or translucent ick.

It may well have been past its peak ripeness.  It is the only one I have tasted in 2 or 3 years, so I don't have anything to go on.    I suspect I was ill-advised to try it on the same day I consumed a Sweet Tart and an LZ.

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 28, 2014, 09:10:48 PM »
No actual reviews to share; just several Zill cultivars that I have enjoyed recently.

(Seacrest revealed)

If Gary came up with some awful mangos during his trials, he doesn't seem to be selling the fruit from them.   :)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 28, 2014, 09:26:25 PM »
There were some bad ones in Gary's trials, real bad ones...they have long gotten the axe and no longer exist.
- Rob

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 29, 2014, 02:22:48 PM »
So Dan - not even one favorite or knocked-my-socks-off
mango from these 5 fruities????

Gari

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 03, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »
Gary, they were all delicious, and no one stood out for me.

The ones that especially impressed me this year are Fruit Punch, Zinc*, and Taralay.   

I had tasted all of these a year or two ago. But for whatever reason they seemed especially rich and wonderful this year.

*Please forgive me for not capitalizing all 4 letters. Even though the name is an acronym, it still feels like SHOUTING.     

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 05, 2014, 06:40:44 PM »
So,  after 3 weeks of having numerous FL mangoes everyday, 100+ lb consumed its time for some reviews.
First some bad and good news. There is much excitement about some newer Zill varieties, including many ahh's and wows. So, I expected to have almost divine experience, even had an open mind of mangoes possibly challenging durian as my favorite fruit. Well, it did't really happen that way. Premier mangoes did not challenge premier durians. Sorry to say on this sacred thread to mango fans. Good news, my respect and appreciation for mangoes increased dramatically. Actually its battling few other fruits for my Nr. 2 favorite fruit of all time. Perhaps one variety is even wining the battle for entire mango family. While most varieties I think fall anywhere between just ok to very good, I only want to review excellent mangoes. Only varieties I would be glad to have everyday for the rest of my life, and what makes them so special.

Maha Chanok: Its probably the hardest mango to put any flavor description on it. Its not a typical mango flavor, not orange or guava. Pleasingly unique and very nice. Actually I can understand why some call it crazy complex and some bland mango. I feel like whether you like it or not, it has a lot to do with every individual and his taste perception.

NDM: Love flavor of this mango. It is also one of the sweetest mangoes I tried. Major factor is silky smooth, almost gelatinous texture, making overall experience very enjoyable.  I come across couple NDM specimens that also had few floral tones mixed in, making it rather complex mango. Floral tones are exception and you won't find them in every NDM.

Carrie: Finally a break from all those mild tasting FL varieties!! Strong flavor plus piney taste made of of my favorites. Supposedly has very short window for perfection. I tried 5 Carries in various stages, and they were all excellent mangoes. Failed to see all that fuss about window of perfection and hate relationship some people have to this variety. Also refrigerated Carries are simply awesome. Refrigeration actually increases overall appeal with Carrie. It isn't necessarily true with other varieties.

COC: First of all many thanks to very kind forum member for giving me last fruit hanging on his tree. Very underrated mango. I think only 2-3 forum members are growing it, so its one of the reason you never hear anything about this mango.
I find COC similiar to Lemon Zest in many ways as I had them one after another. Strong citrusy taste/acidity with plenty of sweetness. Actually both sweetness and citrusy acidity are even stronger on this mango than on LZ. However, its just not as balanced overall as LZ, therefore I put it just a half step behind LZ. Also fruit was very clean and good size.  A must try IMHO. One day after I tasted, bsbullie and Cookie Man posted how much they like this mango. I guess my experience wasn't a fluke than.

Duncan: Most people consider this anywhere from good to excellent. I had the same opinion. I changed my mind when Alex (squam256) picked the most perfect fruits out of big pile of Duncans. I peeled them like potatoes (this method eliminates any chances of bitter skin), cut off the slice and wow! The most perfect Duncan of my life. I felt like it was right up there with all premier varieties. Something irresistible about that mellow delicate taste working with few tones in the background.  And I'm not even a fan of mild tasting mangoes mind you! I felt like a fool for never requesting Duncan budwood. Another factor to overall appeal is silky smooth texture. Different from all mangoes. Even some gelatinous tones, although not the same gelatinous as NDM.  Again fruit must be perfect and almost overripe for me in order to compete with other premier varieties.

Keshar: I'm cheating here, because fruits were actually imported from India. I tried four Indian varieties in grown in FL, and none of them were as good as Keshar. Flavor can be described as very concentrated mango flavor, a mango flavor on steroids. Not comparable to any other mango.

Coconut Cream: I had very high expectations from this mango, and probably its the reason for my disappointment. Not as buttery as I expected and coconut flavor not as strong as in Bounty candy bar.  Nevertheless its one of the very best and absolutely deserves premier mango status.

Lemon Zest: Everything has already been said about this mango. Tuned almost to a perfection. My firs LZ tasted like lemon and orange fused together, and than this new variety of citrus fused with mango one more time. Second LZ tasted a lot more "lemony", and think it was the only fruit deserved its LZ name. After that every LZ tasted somewhat the same. "Lemony", "orangey" tones with mango fusion. I want to mention that I find Brett Borders as the most accurate mango reviewer. I think he correctly argued people calling it crazy complex. I agree with his description. LZ isn't much complex, rather simply pure and sublime.

Sweet Tart:  You bite few times, and than you stop and think. What's going on here? There is explosions of sweet, acid, and tart. Tart being most prominent flavor. Sometimes I think I don't like this mango. Too much tart. But than I would change my mind one minute later, and think this is an awesome mango! I guess its just one of the tricks this mango plays with your mind. Some people never get used to strong tart component, so you have to try for yourself. If you like it, than you really going to like this mango. Also its the only mango you taste long after last bite. For this reason at one point I made a habit to finish every mango meal with ST.

Orange Sherbet! The King of Florida mangoes! More "orangey" than LZ, sweeter than LZ or NDM, more creamy and buttery than CC or any other mango for that matter. Sweet and sublime orange flavor ice cream in mango form!  I guess OS will always be compared to LZ. I had 12 LZ total from five different sources and six OS. Two times I had OS right after LZ. So think I got pretty good grip on comparing these mangoes.  Every time I found everything about OS better than LZ (except size). Couple pictures here. LZ and OS for comparison, and few OS one day before being ripe. Absolutely the most anthracnose free post harvest mango variety I encountered in FL.  Always very clean, and Walter Zill never sprays. As I finish my last OS,  frustration and even anger sets in for not having this mango available to public. So sad, OS I will miss you dearly!

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #370 on: August 05, 2014, 07:02:15 PM »
Like! Ha ha! I agree with you about the Orange Sherbert! I also like the fruit size! Just enough to really enjoy!

Ed

So,  after 3 weeks of having numerous FL mangoes everyday, 100+ lb consumed its time for some reviews.
First some bad and good news. There is much excitement about some newer Zill varieties, including many ahh's and wows. So, I expected to have almost divine experience, even had an open mind of mangoes possibly challenging durian as my favorite fruit. Well, it did't really happen that way. Premier mangoes did not challenge premier durians. Sorry to say on this sacred thread to mango fans. Good news, my respect and appreciation for mangoes increased dramatically. Actually its battling few other fruits for my Nr. 2 favorite fruit of all time. Perhaps one variety is even wining the battle for entire mango family. While most varieties I think fall anywhere between just ok to very good, I only want to review excellent mangoes. Only varieties I would be glad to have everyday for the rest of my life, and what makes them so special.

Maha Chanok: Its probably the hardest mango to put any flavor description on it. Its not a typical mango flavor, not orange or guava. Pleasingly unique and very nice. Actually I can understand why some call it crazy complex and some bland mango. I feel like whether you like it or not, it has a lot to do with every individual and his taste perception.

NDM: Love flavor of this mango. It is also one of the sweetest mangoes I tried. Major factor is silky smooth, almost gelatinous texture, making overall experience very enjoyable.  I come across couple NDM specimens that also had few floral tones mixed in, making it rather complex mango. Floral tones are exception and you won't find them in every NDM.

Carrie: Finally a break from all those mild tasting FL varieties!! Strong flavor plus piney taste made of of my favorites. Supposedly has very short window for perfection. I tried 5 Carries in various stages, and they were all excellent mangoes. Failed to see all that fuss about window of perfection and hate relationship some people have to this variety. Also refrigerated Carries are simply awesome. Refrigeration actually increases overall appeal with Carrie. It isn't necessarily true with other varieties.

COC: First of all many thanks to very kind forum member for giving me last fruit hanging on his tree. Very underrated mango. I think only 2-3 forum members are growing it, so its one of the reason you never hear anything about this mango.
I find COC similiar to Lemon Zest in many ways as I had them one after another. Strong citrusy taste/acidity with plenty of sweetness. Actually both sweetness and citrusy acidity are even stronger on this mango than on LZ. However, its just not as balanced overall as LZ, therefore I put it just a half step behind LZ. Also fruit was very clean and good size.  A must try IMHO. One day after I tasted, bsbullie and Cookie Man posted how much they like this mango. I guess my experience wasn't a fluke than.

Duncan: Most people consider this anywhere from good to excellent. I had the same opinion. I changed my mind when Alex (squam256) picked the most perfect fruits out of big pile of Duncans. I peeled them like potatoes (this method eliminates any chances of bitter skin), cut off the slice and wow! The most perfect Duncan of my life. I felt like it was right up there with all premier varieties. Something irresistible about that mellow delicate taste working with few tones in the background.  And I'm not even a fan of mild tasting mangoes mind you! I felt like a fool for never requesting Duncan budwood. Another factor to overall appeal is silky smooth texture. Different from all mangoes. Even some gelatinous tones, although not the same gelatinous as NDM.  Again fruit must be perfect and almost overripe for me in order to compete with other premier varieties.

Keshar: I'm cheating here, because fruits were actually imported from India. I tried four Indian varieties in grown in FL, and none of them were as good as Keshar. Flavor can be described as very concentrated mango flavor, a mango flavor on steroids. Not comparable to any other mango.

Coconut Cream: I had very high expectations from this mango, and probably its the reason for my disappointment. Not as buttery as I expected and coconut flavor not as strong as in Bounty candy bar.  Nevertheless its one of the very best and absolutely deserves premier mango status.

Lemon Zest: Everything has already been said about this mango. Tuned almost to a perfection. My firs LZ tasted like lemon and orange fused together, and than this new variety of citrus fused with mango one more time. Second LZ tasted a lot more "lemony", and think it was the only fruit deserved its LZ name. After that every LZ tasted somewhat the same. "Lemony", "orangey" tones with mango fusion. I want to mention that I find Brett Borders as the most accurate mango reviewer. I think he correctly argued people calling it crazy complex. I agree with his description. LZ isn't much complex, rather simply pure and sublime.

Sweet Tart:  You bite few times, and than you stop and think. What's going on here? There is explosions of sweet, acid, and tart. Tart being most prominent flavor. Sometimes I think I don't like this mango. Too much tart. But than I would change my mind one minute later, and think this is an awesome mango! I guess its just one of the tricks this mango plays with your mind. Some people never get used to strong tart component, so you have to try for yourself. If you like it, than you really going to like this mango. Also its the only mango you taste long after last bite. For this reason at one point I made a habit to finish every mango meal with ST.

Orange Sherbet! The King of Florida mangoes! More "orangey" than LZ, sweeter than LZ or NDM, more creamy and buttery than CC or any other mango for that matter. Sweet and sublime orange flavor ice cream in mango form!  I guess OS will always be compared to LZ. I had 12 LZ total from five different sources and six OS. Two times I had OS right after LZ. So think I got pretty good grip on comparing these mangoes.  Every time I found everything about OS better than LZ (except size). Couple pictures here. LZ and OS for comparison, and few OS one day before being ripe. Absolutely the most anthracnose free post harvest mango variety I encountered in FL.  Always very clean, and Walter Zill never sprays. As I finish my last OS,  frustration and even anger sets in for not having this mango available to public. So sad, OS I will miss you dearly!

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 05, 2014, 07:11:39 PM »
Wow. Awesome reviews. Mabye, just mabye, OS will be propagated to satisfy some prelimanary demand (just like Dupuis Saigon). I kind of agreee with you on Maha Chanok on being a pretty bland mango. Don't know if you detected it in your samples, but the ones I've had had a pleasant, perfumious, turpentiney taste about it. And a prestine exterior with a unique shape. Is Keshar = Kesar ?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 05, 2014, 07:32:47 PM »
Wow. Awesome reviews. Mabye, just mabye, OS will be propagated to satisfy some prelimanary demand (just like Dupuis Saigon). I kind of agreee with you on Maha Chanok on being a pretty bland mango. Don't know if you detected it in your samples, but the ones I've had had a pleasant, perfumious, turpentiney taste about it. And a prestine exterior with a unique shape. Is Keshar = Kesar ?

Read review over again.  He actually really liked Mahachanok.
John

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 05, 2014, 07:44:07 PM »
DurianLover did say, "Actually I can understand why some call it crazy complex and some bland mango"- that's where I'm agreeing with him on. The bland part.  ;)
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Obet

• Manila,Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 05, 2014, 08:14:40 PM »
very nice reviews and great pics! Love the pics of that Orange Sherbet. Finally seen one beside a Lemon Zest.Based on your taste review on OS, disease resistance, skin coloration and appearance,descent size, definitely it belongs to one of the top notch mangoes.
Robert
Las Pinas City
Philippines