Author Topic: Looking to get Pickering and Cogshall mango for container growing  (Read 1379 times)

scashaggy

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
I have been reading for some time about possible container mangos.  Now that I feel that I am about ready, the final candidates are Pickering and Cogshall. 

I don't want to put the tree in the ground and want to maintain it at a smaller size.  A lot I have been reading about these mangos seem to fit that mold. 

I have contacted PIN, they have Cogshall in stock but not Pickering.  So I may have to wait.

Are there any suggestions or recommendations on growing these in containers?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to get Pickering and Cogshall mango for container growing
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 06:17:20 PM »
I plan to grow cogshall, pickering and ice cream in 65 gallon pots, all bought from plantogram.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 06:22:40 PM »
I found cogshall too vigorous to maintain at 6' tall or less. Mine is in ground, and really would rather be 8-10' tall. I top worked it replacing with Fairchild which I hope will be easier to control. Not sure how much being in a pot restricts vigor, would be interesting to hear from someone growing cogshall in a container. Pickering is a great choice, mine is in ground but will be easy to keep at less than 6 feet, is currently only 4' tall and has been producing for 3 years.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 07:51:32 PM »
Are there any suggestions or recommendations on growing these in containers?

I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but I had zero luck with Pickering in a pot. I tried for a couple years and generally pampered it, but it was always sickly and never grew more than a few inches. Never fruited. I thought it was a goner for sure, but put it in ground around 4 years ago and it immediately took off and quickly became one of the healthiest trees in my yard. It's incredibly easy to maintain (so far) and is very reliable with flowering/fruiting. I don't love the fruit, but it's hard to argue with the benefits of the tree. I just never had any success with it in a pot.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 08:38:31 PM »

Pickering and Honey Kiss stay small and produce well. Good taste as well.