Author Topic: Pineapple Seedlings  (Read 3244 times)

kevin8715

• CA Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Pineapple Seedlings
« on: September 19, 2014, 01:32:30 AM »
Currently have 4 growing in cups. I know about the not to type thing, but I expect that in all my landrace crops. Variation allows selection for adaptation. Clones rarely have mutations, so can't be relied on. The seedlings are so cute, and hopefully they fruit in a few years. Will post progress here with maybe a picture.
Sunset Zone 21 Hotttttt

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 02:55:57 AM »
Maybe something like 5 years? I know pineapple tops take 3 years here. I'm trying to get mine to fruit although this is probably not a good weather for it.
Was the mother fruit tasty?

I'm not sure how large the variations are but Tim Thompson who did mango selection went through 4-5,000 seedlings to select 10. I'm just saying the professionals grow much more, not that it's not fun to try your luck and grow from seed. Please document your progress here. :)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 06:45:23 AM »
I grew a few pineapple plants from seeds a couple of years ago. I gave away all of my pineapple plants so im not sure if they've fruited or not yet. Based on their age, they likely have. I'll see if I can find out how they're doing and I'll post it here.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 12:11:17 PM »
How fast will seedlings grow? Will they reach pineapple top size in a year or two?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »
Under good conditions, with feeding, I think pine seedlings could fruit in 3-4 years.  I would also expect those fruits to be full of seeds if the plants are allowed to flower together.
Peter

kevin8715

• CA Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 02:21:55 AM »
Maybe something like 5 years? I know pineapple tops take 3 years here. I'm trying to get mine to fruit although this is probably not a good weather for it.
Was the mother fruit tasty?

I'm not sure how large the variations are but Tim Thompson who did mango selection went through 4-5,000 seedlings to select 10. I'm just saying the professionals grow much more, not that it's not fun to try your luck and grow from seed. Please document your progress here. :)

The mother was tasty. I believe that the seedlings will tend to resemble their parent. A person here grew a mango tree seedling from a superb mango (what I heard). Now that mango tree is producing awesome mangos, and I have a seedling which according to him will fruit in 4 years or something like that. I plan on crossing them to white jade later and select.
Sunset Zone 21 Hotttttt

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 12:00:02 PM »
pineapples are bromeliads, and absorb nutrients through their leaves as well as their roots.  i give my pineapples a foliar feeding about once a month.  nitrogen, and potassium.  saltpetere is potassium nitrate (KNO3.)  i use "hi yield stump remover"  which is 95-99% KNO3, approx 1/2%solution - a teaspoon to a quart of water, from a spray bottle. 

here's the msds:

http://www.fertilome.com/ProductFiles/HY%20Stump%20Remover%20MSDS%202012.pdf
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:08:52 PM by treefrog »
treefrog land and cattle company

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »
it take about 10 years to make a new variety of pineapple. and they definitely will respond well to foliar feeds

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk