Author Topic: Nishikawa Avocado - Aloha & Mahalo  (Read 41508 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Nishikawa Avocado - Aloha & Mahalo
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 12:37:56 AM »
You rate Linda highly?
Good to know as I have seen the plants very rarely offered here. I have seen the quite large fruits at one fruit stall here, but have baulked at the price, when I can get a bucket of Reeds for about the same as one Linda, so have not tried them as yet...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 12:55:04 AM »
You rate Linda highly?
Good to know as I have seen the plants very rarely offered here. I have seen the quite large fruits at one fruit stall here, but have baulked at the price, when I can get a bucket of Reeds for about the same as one Linda, so have not tried them as yet...

Those were the chef taste test ratings, not mine. Yes i also would rate the Linda highly, not #3 but maybe in top 20 available here. Keep in mind that Linda is not a Hawaiian selection. I think it's originally from California. Also keep in mind that the chef taste test was only from a small pool of cultivars, so there are many other good ones here they didn't taste or rate.
Oscar

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 08:27:13 AM »
Finally my second Nishikawa was ready. Fortunately it was my birthday yesterday and I had lots of family home. So I was able to do a tasting. 
One of my daughters that likes avocados said it was the best avocado ever, so did her husband. My 15 year old grandson on that side of the family is an authority "eating" avocados. He can eat a two pounder all by himself, he said it was excellent. 

The other daughter, they don't eat anything with fat in it. Said she prefers the regular less intense flavor fruit.

My own opinion is that is was creamy, tasty. One of my son-in-law said it reminded him of egg salad. To some extend I can see mashing the avocado, adding the ingredients of egg salad and eating it in a sandwich.

Like every thing is a matter of taste, some will like it, others will prefer what they are familiar with. I will be incline to say that if you like avocados you will like the Nishikawa.

On the issue of peeling: This was easy to peel is just that the skin is thicker than what we are familiar with. As result these are ready to eat I think just when they begin to get soft to the touch.

These are the Hawaiian avocados I'm experimenting with: http://www.myavocadotrees.com/hawaiian.html

By The beginning of next year I will have a top worked tree with each of these varieties. The Nishikawa is ahead of the game because I top worked it about 10 months ago and the San Miguel was top worked in the summer and is growing nicely. The rest will be done as the bud wood from my potted trees will be ready

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 12:10:42 PM »
Carlos, 
Happy Birthday, Feliz Cumpleanos! Feliz Aniversario!

Excellent!  I am glad to read your comments!  Thank you.

Just I small note.  Some of us are "experimenting" with Hawaiian avocados.  The result of those experiments will vary from place to place.  A variety may do better in Florida than in Hawaii or it may not adapt to ones location in Florida, at all. 
Here in SW Florida, Nishikawa fruits were much bigger than in Hawaii. There are too many variables that will determine the outcome of the fruit characteristics, including size, fat content, and so on.
Here is an interesting link about some Hawaiian varieties.
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/EI-15.pdf
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:14:02 PM by Berto »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 09:12:39 PM »
I'm starting to think that instead of Miguel and Oro Negro, I should have planted Day (or Dupuis) and Nishikawa.  My third avo tree is Florida Hass. :-\ Oh well, I can always replace any of 'em! :)
John

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 10:55:23 PM »
John,
You can always topwork an avocado tree and graft a variety of your choice. 
I have tasted Florida Hass, and with all respect for Florida Hass, Nishikawa is a much better fruit, in my opinion.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »
John,
You can always topwork an avocado tree and graft a variety of your choice. 
I have tasted Florida Hass, and with all respect for Florida Hass, Nishikawa is a much better fruit, in my opinion.

Now you're really making me feel bad. :'(
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 12:15:58 AM »
Don't feel bad. Fl Hass is a summer fruit, Nishikawa is late season. The Miquel.....................another story, but is a bit earlier than FL Hass but mine hang in the tree for a while, Late summer.  If you are going to top work anything top work the Miguel with Dupuis or Simonds.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 12:41:39 AM »
Don't feel bad. Fl Hass is a summer fruit, Nishikawa is late season. The Miquel.....................another story, but is a bit earlier than FL Hass but mine hang in the tree for a while, Late summer.  If you are going to top work anything top work the Miguel with Dupuis or Simonds.

Damn that Pine Island Nursery!  Why did they give Miguel a 5? >:(  I guess I should wait a few years and try the fruit.  It might taste better grown here in my yard in Deerfield Beach than down in Carlos's grove in Homestead.
John

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 02:54:29 AM »
Is Berto and I the only ones growing Nishikawa??  There has to be other out there.

I have a three gallon I bought from top trop a few months ago but it will not go in the ground until feb or so.  I hope it handles he heat and trade winds ok.  Dave

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 07:19:18 AM »
Florida Hass is a summer fruit?  The fruit on the trees around here are nowhere near ready in summer time.  There is also a local farmer's market that is selling both Cali Hass AND Florida Hass (Florida grown) right now.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 09:25:31 AM »
I'm just hoping the Miguel is earlier than the Florida Hass and the Oro Negro is late.  I think that's the case.
John

Fiddlewood

• Zone 10a - Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 10:08:07 AM »
Is Berto and I the only ones growing Nishikawa??  There has to be other out there.

I bought about a 4 gallon and put it in the ground 4 or 5 months ago. It has only put out new growth once, but looks happy and healthy. I would love to get fruit next summer but that may be too optimistic.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »
I'm just hoping the Miguel is earlier than the Florida Hass and the Oro Negro is late.  I think that's the case.
Not sure how FL Hass would work in your area.  In Miami someone was picking in September http://www.myavocadotrees.com/tims-review-of-florida-hass.html]see this report.[url]http://www.myavocadotrees.com/tims-review-of-florida-hass.html [/url] 
Yes Miquel should be earlier is is a Mid summer fruit.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »
I just bought a 3 gal size Nishikawa tree, think I'll keep it in the pot for a while then graft it onto my soon to be top-worked Russell tree.   

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 04:20:02 PM »
Good idea I have two Russell that I may do the same.  Is you Nishikawa big enough to get 4-5 pcs pf bud wood?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »
Good idea I have two Russell that I may do the same.  Is you Nishikawa big enough to get 4-5 pcs pf bud wood?

I don't know yet. I threw the dice and ordered one from Top Tropicals...If it is large enough your welcome to graft wood. 

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 08:26:17 PM »
SW RancherI have a good supply my tree is large, Thanks.
I think you mentioned that you were going to top work your Russell.  I like to do 4-5 grafts per tree.  If you need some send me a PM.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 08:43:20 PM »
SW RancherI have a good supply my tree is large, Thanks.
I think you mentioned that you were going to top work your Russell.  I like to do 4-5 grafts per tree.  If you need some send me a PM.

Thanks Carlos, I appreciate the offer.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 09:48:14 PM »

I don't know yet. I threw the dice and ordered one from Top Tropicals...If it is large enough your welcome to graft wood.

I am thinking about grabbing one from there too. Great price, just a little nervous about getting a true nishikawa.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 08:34:26 PM »
Ate my first Nishikawa today. Very rich and creamy. I only have room for one avocado and this will probably be it. The flavor is very rich and will make a great 'meaty' type of fruit. Just a little salt and lime was all I added...

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 09:11:20 PM »
Mike do you have more fruit hanging on the tree? How old is your tree?
It is sure looking like a new great cultivar for So Florida
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
Mike,
After eating nishikawas I ate a choquette! Nishikawa beats choquette ten (10) to one (1). Before it was 10 to 3 or 4, now is 10 to 1. I will bet that next year my tree  will hold fruits until January. I may plant another nishikawa soon. I am thinking about topworking my choquette in the future.  Maybe I will topwork it with a nishikawa, kahaluu, or another great hawaiian avocado.  I hope  kahaluu and fujikawa will perform as well as nishikawa here in south Florida.   Hawaiian avocadoes are really exceptional fruits!!!  Aloha and mahalo!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:49:56 PM by Berto »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 09:38:55 PM »
Mike

nice looking avocado....I would love to grow this variety here.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 09:55:22 PM »
I brought a grafted Nishikawa back from Hawaii a few years ago, it has grown real slow. I don't know what root stock "Frankies" uses, but the tree has handled our cold here, just real slow grower. I think the Malama is one of the top tasting.

Mark in San Diego