Author Topic: My trees look sad!  (Read 1328 times)

Gonzo65

• Hollywood, FL
    • View Profile
My trees look sad!
« on: March 19, 2020, 11:33:04 PM »
I planted these at my parents house (Hollywood, FL) and I’m not around enough to care for them. Their soil is pretty much sand. All I did was plant them in the native soil, added compost, and fertilizer. Any ideas what might be going on? Thanks!

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: My trees look sad!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 11:44:41 PM »
Looks like nitrogen burn.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 05:10:21 AM »
looks like rather than blending and mixing the compost  with the native soil it was used as a top dressing, Im assuming the trees are as happy as the soil they were put in. For a 3 gallon tree i try to amend at least a 3x3x2 area for the roots to grow out I do this by mixing compost with the native soil and adding organic fertilizers.
Trees should receive water everyday now as we are bone dry in Florida, and especially simce they are newly planted.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 03:30:20 PM »
Rainy season is a ways off but if the trees got water 3 times a week until
the rains come. I would quit fertilizing everything for now. My starfruit looks
similar and my atemoyas are just pushing new growth. Some of those trees
are still dormant. The days are getting longer and a little water would go a
long way. You can always get a soaker hose and a timer if no one can water them?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 05:29:07 PM »
Mulch and water!
Zone 10

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 04:04:18 PM »
Slow release fertilizers like osmocote plus would be easier to use & eliminate possible fertilizer burn etc. and probably worth it if trees are planted at a location that you do not monitor them almost daily.

A lot of variables already mentioned. Also hopefully you planted it in native soil without mixing in organic matter but rather putting the organic matter in the pictures only on top of the native sandy soil.

The more organic matter, the less watering needed. Too little or much of anything is bad.

Gonzo65

• Hollywood, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »
Slow release fertilizers like osmocote plus would be easier to use & eliminate possible fertilizer burn etc. and probably worth it if trees are planted at a location that you do not monitor them almost daily.

A lot of variables already mentioned. Also hopefully you planted it in native soil without mixing in organic matter but rather putting the organic matter in the pictures only on top of the native sandy soil.

The more organic matter, the less watering needed. Too little or much of anything is bad.

Yes I planted in native soil and just added the compost after. I added a slow release fertilizer. I really don’t know what it could be. Maybe they’re just not used to being in full sun...?

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 04:34:16 AM »
Looking at your photos again definitely looks like transplant shock.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:48:31 AM by FMfruitforest »

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 07:06:07 AM »
I’m not really sure why someone would add fertilizer with compost. Seems to be a fairly common malpractice of well meaning but unknowledgeable gardeners.  Compost and a good piss on and around your mango would have kickstarted the nutrient cycling.  Adding fertilizers will bypass the tree microorganism nutrient cycle and burn thru the soils organic matter which is needed for microbial life and for a healthy tree in a natural system.  I add biodynamic compost in small amounts to my entire soil living cover not the mango and I don’t water any mangos in Florida ever, they do great.  No disease, no issue with fruiting, no problems.  Soil health is key. 

Looks like 2 crops on our Zills Mangos this year.

It’s all about the cover. It’s how Mangos we’re developed. The science is there. Piss on your cover.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:40:47 AM by Frog Valley Farm »