Author Topic: Are these Haden or Tommy Atkins?  (Read 5919 times)

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Are these Haden or Tommy Atkins?
« on: June 05, 2016, 08:07:44 PM »
I just purchased these with a PLU code of 4959 and they are from Mexico. They appear to be Haden but to be honest I am not sure as the Tommy's are similar in appearance. There average weight is 20-23 ounces. Can someone with more experience tell me for sure.

Was hoping to try to plant the seed and use it for root stock for lemon zest, sweet tart exct. I am currently using the Laverne Manila root stock but wanted to do a experiment and compare it to this fast grower if it is a Haden mango which I hope it is.

Thanks in advance

Johnny

Stan

Re: Are these Haden or Tommy Atkins?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 09:07:14 PM »
Google says its a Hayden. Hey,did you all know a Mango number that starts with "9" is organic? "4" means sprayed with pesticides. Huh.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 09:28:48 PM »
Tommies.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 10:32:44 PM »
Squam is the expert, I usually smell them or look for the stamp to find out what variety it is. I've used both Tommy Atkins and Haden as rootstock and they were very similar but Kent seedlings grew a bit faster so I mainly use Kent for my mono rootstocks.

It would be wonderful if you use different rootstocks so that we can compare the differences in growth between the different rootstocks in your yard vs in my yard. What works better in my soils may not necessarily work better in your yard. Please keep us updated.

Simon

Johnny Eat Fruit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 10:58:46 PM »
Thanks for the info squam and Simon. I was hoping these were Haden. Will try growing a few for root stock and see how it performs.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 12:42:00 AM »

Yup. Tommy Atkins, not Haden.
Alexi

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 03:37:44 AM »
They seem T. Atkins

Stan

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 02:35:36 PM »
Further reading: Tommy Atkens,Hayden and Kent all have the same number. Make of it what you will.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 04:46:13 PM »
Further reading: Tommy Atkens,Hayden and Kent all have the same number. Make of it what you will.

Tommy Atkins*
Haden*

Stan

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 06:00:42 PM »
That's right. What you meant. ;D

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 12:09:19 AM »
My Hadens tend to have a little more purple blush at the top. As soon as you cut into it, you'll know. You can hear the fibers with a serrated knife. Tommies are yellowish inside, Hadens are more orange in my experience. And if you still can't tell, the taste is a sure give away. Tommy doesn't taste very good.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 10:36:46 AM »
This picture I found on Google seems to be the opposite of Brev's Hadens...below shows more purple on the Tommies.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 10:49:50 AM »
Squam is the expert, I usually smell them or look for the stamp to find out what variety it is. I've used both Tommy Atkins and Haden as rootstock and they were very similar but Kent seedlings grew a bit faster so I mainly use Kent for my mono rootstocks.

It would be wonderful if you use different rootstocks so that we can compare the differences in growth between the different rootstocks in your yard vs in my yard. What works better in my soils may not necessarily work better in your yard. Please keep us updated.

Simon

FWIW  In my own backyard I saw Kent and Haden grow vigorously upright and maybe this translates into their seeds. I would give the Haden a 30% edge on this. The most vigorous tree I have seen is Fernandin. It grows by leaps and bounds like a good seedling mango tree. This might be good seed-rootstock for California. Can PM me on this.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »
I just picked up two Kent seedling trees for $25 each locally that appear to excellent candidates for my grafts. Will compare these to the Laverne Manilla stock I am also in the process of grafting. Hear in So.Cal we need all of the vigorous growth we can get due to the more mild Mediterranean  climate and lack of intense heat.

Stan

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 04:56:44 PM »
Exactly. My Baileys is in full flush and to my bay area eyes? -its making me giddy-lol. Its growing in a month and a half of about averaging 80f. Best we can do.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 08:47:23 PM »
Just picked these Mexican mangoes up from the shop and was hoping someone could tell me what type they are. Flavour not great, a bit watery with plenty of fibre. I didn't taste the brown one!

Johnny Eat Fruit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 09:53:54 PM »
Rannman,

They look like the ones I Purchased. Likely Tommy's.  Mine were fibrous but OK flavor if eaten at the right time otherwise if eaten over ripe they were of poor quality with a jelly seed. If under ripe they were hard and not good flavor. Best to avoid unless nothing else is available.

Johnny

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 12:22:14 AM »
This picture I found on Google seems to be the opposite of Brev's Hadens...below shows more purple on the Tommies.

Those look like Fairchild mango festival pics. Iv'e noticed that their mangos are very bright and colorful in general ( at least compared to mine). I believe it is what they feed them, just the straight potassium and very little nitrogen. I believe it is one of Dr. Campbell goals to achieve those nice colors on their mangos. I don't care as long as they taste good. In fact, i would prefer an ugly mango so as to deter people and animals going after your fruit!! :) :)
E.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 02:07:16 PM »

Hi Brev...I do believe it is a picture from Fairchild's  :)...I happen to agree with you, the prettier the mango is visually the more likely it will be stolen/taken  :'( 

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 05:17:16 PM »
Those look like Fairchild mango festival pics. Iv'e noticed that their mangos are very bright and colorful in general ( at least compared to mine). I believe it is what they feed them, just the straight potassium and very little nitrogen. I believe it is one of Dr. Campbell goals to achieve those nice colors on their mangos. I don't care as long as they taste good. In fact, i would prefer an ugly mango so as to deter people and animals going after your fruit!! :) :)
E.

I have seen youtube video of Dr. Campbell (of Fairchild) claiming his mangoes have more color due to the tree being fed straight potassium (the granular sulfate is the best)
But really, mangoes trees need a good 8-3-9 fertilizer or something close to it with minors and slow release nitrogen until they grow into decent fruit production. Then you can go with the straight potassium.
IOW young growing mango trees need nitrogen

Stan

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 07:08:43 PM »
Ranman,Google says Haden from Mexico.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 09:10:23 PM »
If I owned a mango plantation in Peru, Guatemala, Mexico what have you, and ran out of  Tommy Atkins mangoes to slap my PLU code 4959 labels onto, I would put them onto my Hadens and Kents.

If they taste good then be happy with this.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 11:59:08 PM »

Simon

FWIW  In my own backyard I saw Kent and Haden grow vigorously upright and maybe this translates into their seeds. I would give the Haden a 30% edge on this. The most vigorous tree I have seen is Fernandin. It grows by leaps and bounds like a good seedling mango tree. This might be good seed-rootstock for California. Can PM me on this.

Thanks for the information Zands! I've had great results from Kent, Haden, Keitt and Tommy seedlings. I like Kent a lot because the seed husk is already partially opened.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk