Author Topic: What's wrong with my fig tree?  (Read 2804 times)

jbear822

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
What's wrong with my fig tree?
« on: April 27, 2015, 12:59:48 PM »
My fig tree lost its leaves and hasn't grown them back yet. The ends of the branches (the buds) are brown and not green. However, the branches are not brittle and are a tad flexible.

It was replanted after this browning/de-leafing occurred into it's current container (has drainage), with organic potting mix and a tiny bit of organic fertilizer. When I replanted it, I don't know what nematodes on the roots would look like, but the root ball looked okay and the roots themselves normal.

It receives direct west exposure on our balcony for a few hours.

Why won't it come back? Suggestions?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong with my fig tree?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 01:14:11 PM »
this is te citrus forum...please post in temperate discussion forum, found on home page
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 01:47:18 AM »
Are you sure you haven't over-watered?
Fig trees are very tough but they can't stand water stagnation.
Check drainage!
Lorenzo

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 02:45:07 PM »
Figs will do this when over fertilized as well as when suffering root stress from breaks or rot.

I'd put in non fertilized mix, and inspect the root ball.  Make sure it is not broken (fallen from wind, etc), or rotting from too much water.

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:39:00 AM »
I saw this happen, in an orchard, when the roots were disturbed by a tractor, and on a patio, when roots growing through the bottom of a pot were severed.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a quick fix, right now, but other people might wait for dormancy, before transplanting.

Roots seem to feed different stems, on shrubbier forms, imho. I feel as though some stems suffered, but others did not.

I have tried to propagate figs, using only the nicest and most beautiful wood. It will always die, above the ground. But, several suckers will replace each stem, from underneath. If you have this disturbed plant, under ideal conditions, more sprouts may eventually find their way to the top, but I would expect the portions, which have gone into shock, will become brittle, if I think of this as one big fig cutting.