Author Topic: Purple passionfruut comparison  (Read 2552 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Purple passionfruut comparison
« on: September 13, 2019, 07:05:47 PM »
Left to right purple possum, fredrick, red rover.

Flavor wise the purple possum and fredrick are both good and very similar.  Red rover has more of a unique flavor than them and tastes better to me and my wife. 

Fredrick has the thinnest shell and gets damaged easier from the sun after dropping off the plant.  Purple possum also damages from sunburn after falling off.  Red rover has the thickest shell and will take more sun before being damaged.

Overall red rover to me tastes better and also is able to sit on the ground for several hours before being damaged by the sun.  It seems like the best ones although they maybe have less edible flesh per fruit.

All 3 types grow like weeds and produce heavily. 

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:09:26 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Purple passionfruut comparison
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 10:06:51 PM »
Thanks for the description and comparisons. I need to get a few more fruit from you and then I’ll get my wife to make the Passionfruit Ricotta torte I was telling you about. I can’t believe how loaded your vines were last time I was over.

Simon

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 10:48:47 PM »
Thanks for the description and comparisons. I need to get a few more fruit from you and then I’ll get my wife to make the Passionfruit Ricotta torte I was telling you about. I can’t believe how loaded your vines were last time I was over.

Simon
or maybe a nice passion fruit pie

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 11:58:45 PM »
Is there an online source that lists/describes passionfruit varieties?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 09:05:09 PM »
The pulp on all these fruits seems to not have a very bright color. Is this an artifact of the camera settings?

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 07:47:34 PM »
kind of look all red.. perhaps just too much sunlight.  I've had plenty deep dark purple passionfruit before, and the taste was so much better than reds. 

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 07:53:49 PM »
In my experience this is an effect of the fruit ripening in the summer time.
My spring crops have been of darker/denser/stronger pulp color/more sweet/better acid balance.

My summer crops always looked like the ones posted.

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 11:36:44 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Brad.

My experience is the same as Oolie's, in terms of taste and color in summer passionfruit compared to other seasons.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 10:57:41 AM »
I cant tell much difference between the summer and winter fruits.  But Im probably watering and fertilizing harder than most people.  I put the hose on my vines and let it run for a day at a time. I notice the plants will drop fruit a little early in summer if they havent been well watered.  Then they are extra sour.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:45:10 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 11:01:00 AM »
The pulp on all these fruits seems to not have a very bright color. Is this an artifact of the camera settings?

Thats just how these ones look.  They dont have bright pulp.  When the juice is squeezed it looks like OJ.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:03:41 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 12:45:00 PM »
Heres a pic of the color in different lighting

Brad Spaugh

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 01:47:03 PM »
My Fredericks finally start dropping.  They drop green/yellowish/white. After a few days on the counter, they change to a light purple, and start to shrivel up.  My possum probably won't fruit till next year. 

When are you going to prune your vines?  I pruned mines about 3 weeks ago, and now it grew back like before.  I might have to prune them again before they climb over to the neighbor's house.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 04:03:53 PM »
I dont do a lot of pruning, probably should.  Its got about 3 layers of growth now.  What I usually do is just take a weed eater and run along the bottom of the fence to cut the vines off the ground so its not such a mess. 
Brad Spaugh

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 04:36:25 PM »
I dont do a lot of pruning, probably should.  Its got about 3 layers of growth now.  What I usually do is just take a weed eater and run along the bottom of the fence to cut the vines off the ground so its not such a mess.

I have issues with them on the ground yet. More about climbing over to the neighbors.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 12:07:25 AM »
There has been a lot of breeding of the purples in Australia over a long period to get the better varieties with less sourness and more flavour.It would be interesting to compare the American and Australian types. The flavicarpas seem so much better in terms of flavour, size and with the best types almost no acid.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 12:30:56 AM »
There has been a lot of breeding of the purples in Australia over a long period to get the better varieties with less sourness and more flavour.It would be interesting to compare the American and Australian types. The flavicarpas seem so much better in terms of flavour, size and with the best types almost no acid.

Would love to try those Mike.  I have a flavicarpa grown from seed brought back from costa rica starting to flower for the first time.  Hopefully its a good one.  It seems more cold tolerant and is blooming more than my "lilikoi".  Someone posted an article here recwntly that said most yellow types are not self fertile.  Thats a problem unless you just have nothing better to do with your time than pollinate flowers.

Ive got a couple new purples called "panama red" and "nancy garrison" growing that havent been taste tested yet.  We'll see if they are any good soon.  If there is some way to measure acid levels I am happy to do it to compare.  Maybe some kind of PH test?
Brad Spaugh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 12:41:53 AM »
Panama purple is an excellent sweet Queensland bred variety with some edulis bred in hence the colour. I have a few seedlings that have terrific sweet fruit.Its parent is panama yellow which is also a commercial Queensland variety. Lilikoi are more sour as are African and Asian grown fklavicarpas on the whole. Anyway
some really great varieties have been bred from panama purple and red in recent times with Pandora coming in to prominence. I recently tried the best passionfruit I have ever tasted and its a select of Enny I think the name is and it is almost 3 sided grey and the taste is exquisite.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 12:44:27 AM »
Panama purple descendants pandora and Enny.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 12:51:48 AM »
I just planted a gold to have fruit through summer and autumn as well and will plant an Enny.My Panama purples are just finishing after pumping out fruit for 4 months.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 01:01:44 AM »
https://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%20pages/passionfruit.htm
Here are just a few common ones from a nursery.