Author Topic: Hurricane Wind's Effect On Sri Lankan Weevils?  (Read 1901 times)

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Hurricane Wind's Effect On Sri Lankan Weevils?
« on: September 13, 2017, 04:17:15 PM »
Over the years I've noticed that Sri Lankan Weevils are easily shaken out of my lychee trees. Hurricane Irma passed right through here and my lychee trees survived just fine. I sorta wonder if the weevils did. Those trees, and everything else was really whipping around!  Do you think the weevils were blown away?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Wind's Effect On Sri Lankan Weevils?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »
The bad news is the larva feeds on the roots and will emerge as new weevils and the cycle will
start over. It's too bad all the damn weevils didn't get blown back to Sri Lanka :-[

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:37:13 PM »
I've been pruning mango trees and have seen many many of these over the past few days. Not much leaf damage at this point but plenty of weevils, despite Irma.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 08:53:09 PM »
Hey Jay
I thought I heard somewhere that mango leaves can be used as an organic pesticide?
I had some weevils on a mallika but they seem to be gone? I contacted this company yesterday
and they said one of their products will kill the weevil but will not kill the larva. I plan to try it this
winter?   http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/talstar-talstar-one-p-97.html.

Please let us know if the weevils infest the mangos or if they hopefully disappear. I would have to
come see you when you prune and beg you for your leaves if the mango leaves are effective. I saw
a you tube video that said sour milk controls the weevil.???

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »
I see Talstar isn't listed for food crops. The weevils seem to do mostly cosmetic damage, not too severe on mango and worse on Lychee/Longan. While I do see plenty of them around right now, not so much current damage. This thread mentions nematodes and mulch as helping.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17574.0

Be aware that most of the pesticides used on soils are non-selective which means they will kill practically all insects in your soil, not just the Weevil larvae. Consider if that is really a good idea......

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 12:40:18 PM »
I read Talstar is topical not systemic? Should only effect the bugs eating the leaves?
That is why I am hesitant to use Imidacloprid, and the fact that I used it and it didn't work.
I tried applying the steinernema nematode and nobody mulches more then I do. I added a
bunch of pine needles after the hurricane and hoped there would be an effect on the weevil.
After applying the steinernema I have the least fire ants ever in my yard.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 09:05:52 AM »
Well two of my potted mangos were covered in the damned things before the storm. I went out every day and picked them clean and crushed every one I saw. When I put them in my garage for the hurricane a checked every leaf and killed every one I found. I figured I had a few days so I put a spinosad powder in the pots and sprayed them for good measure. Two days after the storm I have put them back outside and knock on wood, haven't seen a new one yet.

Those snakehead caterpillars on the otherhand clear my white sapote of leaves every time I pick them off and new leaves grow. I am amazed its still alive and pushing at this point.