Author Topic: Big Eyes Sugar apple strain B  (Read 9068 times)

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
Big Eyes Sugar apple strain B
« on: June 06, 2016, 01:35:07 PM »
Ok Big Eyes Sugar apple I have Strain A (AKa Rock/MikeT). And Strain B ( Annona Mafias).

I went over to Frank to see how my trialing coming along after looking at my Disappointment of Strain A underperforming here in Florida. A is the smaller pot.

I planted around 200 strain akl over the place at many place beside Frank.

To my shock one tree three feet tall have nine well developed ping pong fruits!  Considering that my place is a rich soil paradise and frant is a sandy dry wind blown desert and Frank candid laissez affaires in fertilizing or orividing any hydro therapy to our field trial test subject; it is a miracles since I have nearly written them iff for Florida.  We will see hiw this ine taste, I had 30 strain b at twi feet flowering so I quickly stuck in ground and hopefully we will develop the Florida version of Big Eyes; We will tentavely call Black Eyes Snob if it cime to epicurean fruitation, Big Eye sugar apple Ice cream is a treat!👍😃

The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Big Eyes Sugar apple strain B
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 04:45:30 PM »
Big Eye SA doesn't do well where I live in So Cal either. I have started a new batch using new soil type and watch it more closely, we'll see how that goes.

From your fruit pix, Jack, I'm glad that the seeds are true to type.
Thera

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 07:32:56 PM »
Remind Nullzero is visting me in Florida in August remind me to send you a yearling that is flowering and fruiting, remind me to throw in Strain A& B.  And if we harvest seeds from Strain B fruiting in pictures, remind to give you them.  I beleive these annona are more drought resistant than any of the Taiwanese.😆

Shit who else I have forgotten to send seeds,??? Annona Alzhaimer kicks in again! You got a big back yard you can fit all that stuff,?any wallfish in your back yard escargot homies?🐌

Wife cousin just got married and move out in Walnut California, they told me nothing out there but wildfire and coyotes in LA.  Too dry to plant anything in those foothill mansion but nasty cactus not meritting a visit.  Amazing the huge Micro climate you have, a coyotes attack one of there poodle in the hood, wonder how the coyotes barbecue taste?  The foxes here that try to bite my Maltese girls were to gamy, I made it into a nice fox hat for a nephew!

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 07:57:46 PM »
Coconut, can I get a few seeds too?  I have some rollina seeds that I can trade with you.

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 08:57:37 PM »
Remind Nullzero is visting me in Florida in August remind me to send you a yearling that is flowering and fruiting, remind me to throw in Strain A& B.  And if we harvest seeds from Strain B fruiting in pictures, remind to give you them.  I beleive these annona are more drought resistant than any of the Taiwanese.😆

Shit who else I have forgotten to send seeds,??? Annona Alzhaimer kicks in again! You got a big back yard you can fit all that stuff,?any wallfish in your back yard escargot homies?🐌

Wife cousin just got married and move out in Walnut California, they told me nothing out there but wildfire and coyotes in LA.  Too dry to plant anything in those foothill mansion but nasty cactus not meritting a visit.  Amazing the huge Micro climate you have, a coyotes attack one of there poodle in the hood, wonder how the coyotes barbecue taste?  The foxes here that try to bite my Maltese girls were to gamy, I made it into a nice fox hat for a nephew!

I'll try to remind Nullzy, he has probably moved into his new place by now. The flowering yearling is interesting. What I'm trying now are seeds from store bought fruits from 2 years ago (!). They germinated fine and are doing great so far. From past experience, the problems would come after 6 months. No growth and extreme susceptibility to fungal attacks. And probably they require optimum level of micro nutrients or else they'd turn yellow, become weak and therefore susceptible to diseases and nematodes attacks. In this regard, Big Eyes variety is not as forgiving as others. At least not here at my place.

The fruit photo on my avatar is from a tree in Walnut, CA. The grower is a Pinoy and calls it Giant Atis. Tropical fruit trees grow extremely well at his place. Your wife's cousin is probably just not into growing plants. :)
Thera

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 09:21:32 PM »
Looking good Coconut, just remind me for kh0110 stuff.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:35:38 PM »

You were going to send some seeds to Micah & me last year but I think it slipped through the cracks.  If you could shoot a few our way, we would be very grateful.

John

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 11:10:26 PM »
John & Micah, yeah I was wondering what a bunch of seeds doing on my gun stand now I remember!😃👍👍I glad some of us have lost their mind!😃👍👍Pm address please,  my wife leaving for Hong Kong for a month so I am home babysitting my six maltese girls and shooting squirrels for a month so make sure I send it to you guys!😃😆🌊

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 10:01:35 PM »

Cocopuff
Here is a clear pix of Walnut CA Giant Atis and a few other Socal powerhouse atemoyas

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 02:02:41 AM »
Is there really more than 1 big eyes sugar apple? It isn't straining things to think Taiwan has 2 of the same name? JF those giant atis look to have a dash of atemoya blood (sap). A variety of sugar apple here that occasionally nudges 1kg has very small eyes and looks like a classic sugar apple.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 08:43:40 AM »
Big Eye seedlings are alive and well en la Isla Nena. They have been flowering profusely and one set but it was removed so that the plant can gain size. They have handled intense wet and dry conditions without an issue. Thank you Mike T and Thera for the opportunity to grow these🙇
Life is good

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 06:04:11 PM »
I have one in Bermuda thanks to Coconut. No flowers just yet but this post looks promising.  If there is a strain b, for sure I would host it.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 02:18:49 AM »
I have one in Bermuda thanks to Coconut. No flowers just yet but this post looks promising.  If there is a strain b, for sure I would host it.

Mike T send Rock Selection to a bunch of people last year or year before or so I am told and it was a flop (they did not germinate well); I was told by many people who received it.  Than he  resend some out again that was better I guess cause Raul in Mexico send me some with a rare strain late season bearing variety of Mexican Mangosteen last year; Raul is the man.  For shit and giggles I threw in a pot with the MikeT (Rock seeds I presumed) and I called it strain A for the purpose of this thread.  You can buy Aaa and BBB grade fruits all over Taiwan, Southern China, Vietnam when they are in season and call whatever strains you like for the purposes of your own breeding management. 

The Taitung Annona Mafias's whom have around 3,000 hectares in Big Eyes and Buddha Belly on Formosa send me their best 1,000 seeds about three years ago from selections from Grade AAA fruits sold exclusively to the Japanese and Northern China high end market which for the purpose of this Thread Strain B for the 1,000 seeds; these Strain B for the purposes of this Thread however came from their private 1,000 hectares reserve in Hainan, China.

These seeds from The Taiwanese Annona Mafias Syndicate I field trial in west Palm Beach, Loxahatchee, Choctawhatchee, The Fruity Acres Areas on 150 acres not far from a Nudists colony!😝  Also field trial at my aquaponic farm in Clewiston and in Parkland as Well as the Taitung Billionares homes in Malapan, Jupiter Island, Fisher Island and Singer Island.  And of course at thirty friends' homes in Boca Raton. I hadn't had a chance to run up to their castles to check on trees planted three years ago. 

Many of you have not heard from me cause I have been so bog down with volunteering for a national political candidate and finish building my Six Intercoastal Mansions in Boca Raton & Las Olas and putting them on the Market as fast as I can before the real estate market here burst.  Wife Just landed in Hong Kong Now and she is spending a month snapping up the real estate bubble burst in Hong Kong.  So I have been derelict in my fancy Sith breeding hobbies and it was by chance that I stop over Frank's place and saw that little twig with nine ping pong fruits developing nicely, normally I would strip them off on a three feet tree, but hey this is Frank's castle he can do whatever he dam please with my plants as long as he gives me the stastical abstracts.

Here is what I have noticed so far, South Florida weather here give the Big Eyes SA apple a black eye hard time. The seeds are 95% viable even after 3 years sitting in my gun safe with highly toxic sniper rounds, depleted uranium. 1,000 seeds end with 753 sickly looking seedlings with various year class, I had my nephew germinated three tranches a year for last three years but he will be starting Yale this fall so I have to promote some one to start culling the trial.  If you have received seeds from me or seedlings, than it would be Strain B 100 seedlings I gave out for field testing other than my own and some seeds went to Senegal and other part of Africa.

The pot of Strain A  I will send some to Thera and a few serious breeders in Houston and New Orlean as well to Choctaw Elders of my Tribe in the Panhandle.  We hopefully can see a selection for the southeast.  My favorite Ice cream from Formosa is Big Eye SA, its so nice and creamy on the Taitung Yacht almost rival Macupuno Ice Cream.

I have trouble growing it on rich black high organic coquina soil.  But seem to thrives in sandy nutrient poor soil were Frank is closer to the beach.  So high and dry it seem to like.  Heavily attack by white scales and its the most ugliest unhealthy looking Sugar Apple in my breeding collections.

Nice to see five seedlings are heavy bearings self-fertile for their age and twig diameter.  Compare Big Eyes to Boca Giant Chewy Sugar Apple Lines, I would rate Big Eyes as the Bonsai type were any of my bred SA are super giant forty feet plus if you let em go wild.  Now don't get excited about the size of the tree, it's how many grade AAA fruit can it produces per hectare for the High End Manchurian/Joseon Market and as always the Japanese Market.  So we will keep an eye on the start of the culling trials.  I hope to kill perhaps all 753 tree in 18 months with ten trees left as the based to developed the Black Eye SA; A decade from now we should see some improvements and forget the last three years even occur.😝

Thank JF I will fly out to Visit My Wife Cousin in Walnut California to help those kids with planting advices. Last time in LA was in 1986 And the SMOG kill me😷.  Those are very nice looking Atemoya/Atis, in a Zombie Apocalypse I know now all the best spot in LA to pick fruits👍🏻🙏🏾!  Shit Now Looking at my Larue OBR stand is another envelope of seeds; I wonder who did I forget to send?💩

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »
Coco, you are welcome to stop by if you are in the area. I might have some yocatan grande & uman morada seeds for you straight from the jungle.

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 01:28:53 PM »
The smog has gotten slightly more tolerable since 86.  I"m still learning how to grow stuff here, it's gets windy every day, things seem to do well with irrigation every other day, but that goes against what everyone on the forum says, so then I back it off, and things stop growing.    Soon I'll get a well, then stop caring about water conservation.   

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 04:50:17 PM »
Coco thanks for the info and gales of your exploits. I might just add that Thera has agricultural department contacts who are academics in fruit development and was selective about sources. The germination rates of those seeds from the 2 batches I distributed was indeed low. Oddly enough I separated floating and sinking seeds and both lots had similar germination rates.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 09:34:57 PM »
Hi Jack,

I sent you a PM before I left for vacation (back on June 7) with my address. Just checking to be sure you got it.

Thanks,
John

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 12:07:59 AM »

My big eyes sugar apple is nearly 4 feet high and each of its first 3 fruit look to be over 1kg.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 12:56:02 AM »

My big eyes sugar apple is nearly 4 feet high and each of its first 3 fruit look to be over 1kg.

very nice it looks like my giant atis

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 08:47:08 PM »
My concern was that it would 'throw back' to the standard and have standard sized fruit. I am very pleased that even the first fruit on this 2.5 year old tree are bigger than the usual sugar apple.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 12:02:00 AM »
That's impressive for a 2 year old tree. Is this a seedling? I had a 3 year old Big Red with 12 fruits last year but only 3 fruits near a kilo.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 02:05:02 AM »

The first fruit off my 4 ft tall tree was only 780g not 1kg as I expected.

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 03:07:23 AM »
That is still a whopping sugar apple, Mike. Congrats!!!
Let us know how it tastes.
Thera

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 03:21:10 AM »
Excellent taste and small seeds. Hardly any grit around the skin, so a real winner. There would be 5lbs of tree that had 5 or 6lbs of fruit.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 10:04:21 AM »
Excellent taste and small seeds. Hardly any grit around the skin, so a real winner. There would be 5lbs of tree that had 5 or 6lbs of fruit.
That is good news Mike, mine is about two feet right now, started flowering since almost one feet, I just pugged to develop a strong frame, by the way I'm going to receive if everything works out fine seeds of the best commercial A.Squamosa from Taiwan which is call "Taitung 1" among big size has high brix and prolonged shelves life, some of them will be flying to Australia 🌏....
El verde es vida!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk