Author Topic: My First Taste of Lisa Atemoya  (Read 3309 times)

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
My First Taste of Lisa Atemoya
« on: December 27, 2017, 11:58:01 AM »
I had my first try of Lisa Atemoya and it was good!  Just have to say it was not my fruit but it was backyard grown here in San Diego. From previous discussions on the forum, I was expecting a less than mediocre fruit.  The tree doesn't produce a lot of fruit and maybe this one fruit was small but it weighed in at 13 ounces. It may have been picked a little early but the skin between the areoles started to turn pink/light yellow, so I picked it and let it ripen on the counter for five days. The areoles and skin of the fruit just start to slightly soften and it felt like plastic.  I cut it open and ate half if it right away and put the other half in the fridge to eat later chilled. The first sensation I had when eating the fruit was it was sweet, then came the rather berry like-taste. I though the chilled half tasted even better and had the taste of strawberry yogurt with chunks of fruit in it. I agree with other reviewers that it is not as creamy as a Cherimoya and the carpels are somewhat chewy,but not overly so.  I would probably rate it a 3.5 out of 5 on taste, low seed count of 13 seeds was good.  Overall, it was an enjoyable fruit, creamy in between the areoles, and definately worthwhile eating!  ;D

Bob

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: My First Taste of Lisa Atemoya
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 12:17:56 PM »
I am full of envy!
I got my first taste of Lisa Atemoya last summer right before Irma leveled my tree.
I cut the tree way back and pulled a dozen unripe fruit off. The tree recovered so maybe
next year?

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »
Lisa is definitely one of my favorites and deserves a spot in my yard.  Another good variety to fill up the calendar year so you can have a longer season of Annona.

Beautiful fruit guayaba!

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »
I am full of envy!
I got my first taste of Lisa Atemoya last summer right before Irma leveled my tree.
I cut the tree way back and pulled a dozen unripe fruit off. The tree recovered so maybe
next year?
I know it isn't enough to say that at least the tree survived, but I hope you have an excellent year in 2018 and your Lisa recovers fully.  Maybe this radical pruning you had to do will invigorate the tree to produce more fruit for you next year?  I am sure you will be enjoying the fruit soon enough. My tree is small, so it will be another year or so before I get my own fruit.
Bob

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 01:23:29 PM »
Lisa is definitely one of my favorites and deserves a spot in my yard.  Another good variety to fill up the calendar year so you can have a longer season of Annona.

Beautiful fruit guayaba!

I totally agree! I know there are Annonas that are suppose to be more flavorful and have a bit of acid to them, but no Cherimoya has this particular taste.  It's nice to have a little variety in taste of the fruits we grow.
Bob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 09:20:18 AM »
Now what was it again that makes Birula a super-Lisa?  Size of fruit, bearing habit, flavor, texture?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:40:58 PM by johnb51 »
John

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
There's a local Asian Tropical Fruit vendor here in SJ that received a massive shipment of African Pride and an unknown red Atemoya.
Cannot say it's Lisa or Birula or anything I know since I've never had the honor of tasting any.

Cost is $16.99lb, cherimoya $9.99lb

The store owner told me they came from San Diego, fresh with loads of black scales all over the fruits lol

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 06:59:20 PM »
There's a local Asian Tropical Fruit vendor here in SJ that received a massive shipment of African Pride and an unknown red Atemoya.
Cannot say it's Lisa or Birula or anything I know since I've never had the honor of tasting any.

Cost is $16.99lb, cherimoya $9.99lb

The store owner told me they came from San Diego, fresh with loads of black scales all over the fruits lol
The black scale costs extra.  That's why they are charging $16.99 per pound!  ::)
Bob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk