Author Topic: 2016 Wild Pawpaw Watch thread  (Read 10385 times)

googer

• 7a - Kentucky
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Wild Pawpaw Watch thread
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 03:58:52 PM »
I am pleased to report that pawpaw season is in full swing here in Kentucky. Looking for fruiting trees all spring and summer has paid off, because now I know exactly where to find fruits. I've been keeping notes on which trees produce the best tasting and highest quality fruit. It's surprising just how much variety there is. I've already eaten about 10 or so pawpaws this year - by far the most I've ever had in one season - and I am really surprised by how variable the flavor can be. Even among trees a few yards apart, there is often significant difference in taste. I've had some really delicious fruits and a handful of really inferior fruits as well. No matter to me - it's all just more seeds for me. I've probably collected about 100 so far and I'm hoping to get at least twice that many. I'm hoping to get enough seeds this year to give a few out to anyone wanting to try their hand at cultivating them.

Also worth noting is the fact that a coworker offered to send me the coordinates of holler in Eastern KY where he claims you can harvest pawpaws by the truckload. It'd be a hike out there, but I'm really thinking about taking an expedition out there to find the motherlode.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2016, 04:11:31 PM »
Wow - the motherlode! Sounds awesome. I will let u try it first and then if the legend proves true, maybe I can join you the next time   ;D

You are dead-on regarding flavor variability. Even named cultivars, in my limited experience, exhibit this.
I've heard pros qualify their comments with phrases like "THIS year the fruits taste like ...."

To me it's part of the allure of the pawpaw.

So what are your plans for all the seeds you're collecting?

googer

• 7a - Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2016, 08:27:28 AM »

The ones I keep are going to spend the next 100 days in a big bag of moist peat moss in the fridge like I did with last year's. The first batches will be ready for sowing by mid-December. If last year's pattern holds, I should get the first sprouts sometime in February. Last year's seedlings didn't fare so well because I was out of town so long and I couldn't take care of them. An earlier start and better planning should alleviate this.

The rest I'm going to send off to other people who want to try growing them. I might also use them to trade for some rare seeds, as pawpaw seeds seem to be highly sought-after on this site.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2016, 08:45:20 AM »

The ones I keep are going to spend the next 100 days in a big bag of moist peat moss in the fridge like I did with last year's. The first batches will be ready for sowing by mid-December. If last year's pattern holds, I should get the first sprouts sometime in February. Last year's seedlings didn't fare so well because I was out of town so long and I couldn't take care of them. An earlier start and better planning should alleviate this.

The rest I'm going to send off to other people who want to try growing them. I might also use them to trade for some rare seeds, as pawpaw seeds seem to be highly sought-after on this site.

The ones you sprout, are you planting on your property in an orchard setup? No real reason to ask, just curious.
Oh, and also for my benefit, how are you sprouting/germinating your seeds (medium, light, temp, etc)?
Cheers!

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »
a coworker offered to send me the coordinates of holler in Eastern KY where he claims you can harvest pawpaws by the truckload. It'd be a hike out there, but I'm really thinking about taking an expedition out there to find the motherlode.

Googs - did this pan out?

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2016, 07:18:29 PM »
Would love any recent observations on Asimina parviflora as well.
Shane

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2016, 07:18:49 PM »
You folks can even look for wild mushrooms in the same trip. I'm not sure what's available over there. Here in CA, it's mainly in anthem winter wet season.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2016, 03:36:32 PM »
You folks can even look for wild mushrooms in the same trip. I'm not sure what's available over there. Here in CA, it's mainly in anthem winter wet season.
I need to learn more about shrooms, but i did recently collect and eat some Chicken of the Woods and it was FABULOUS....so good I would try to grow it if I had the time.