Author Topic: Pyrus intercompatibility: Nashi (pyrifolia) badly dwarfed on Europear (communis)  (Read 1638 times)

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
According to http://fruitsandnuts.ucdavis.edu/dsadditions/_Asian_Pears/:
"Most Japanese pear varieties are dwarfed about 50% on P. communis rootstock"
and "[Nijisseiki/20th Century] should not be grown on P. Communis rootstock because it is badly dwarfed."

My question is whether there is a Nashi that is minimally affected by P. communis roostock. I want to graft onto a Josephine de Malines espalier. If that works, then the next year I guess I could do Nijisseiki on top of that, because the interstem should no longer dwarf it.
My last contingency would be to use a Chinese White Pear like Ya Li for an interstem, but they are bland from the description I've read.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Perhaps you should have tried Comice pear. It is one of the few pears considered to show good intercompatibility with quince rootstock, and is also the most delicious variety.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
Good thinking SoCal2warm... because that is exactly what I did. My tree is Doyenne du Comice on Quince A rootstock. I remember reading about this good compatibility and desirable dwarfing result. The thing is, with limited space, I wanted more cultivars and so the tree is espalier and every level is a different cultivar. Beaurre Superfine, Red Williams and Josephene were grafted on levels above the Comice.

I think I am going to try Hosui nashi as the next level and let everyone know how it goes. My tree is quite slow-growing but that is a side-effect of maintaining a semi-dwarf.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida