Author Topic: Wax Jambu Dying?  (Read 3094 times)

fruity

• Southern California
    • View Profile
Wax Jambu Dying?
« on: July 25, 2013, 11:14:16 PM »
So I decided to keep my Wax Jambu potted while it was flowering.   I think the majority of the flowers were pollinated as only a few have fallen off since over a week ago.  What caused my concern was that though the flowers haven't dropped, I see no progress in fruit development.  Also,  the leaves are starting to turn yellow.    I picked up my tree today out of the pot and the roots don't look too healthy (see pic).   I touched the black plastic pot the tree is sitting in this afternoon and it's awfully hot from direct sunlight and I think this is the cause of my tree's ailments.  I'm thinking of just planting it tomorrow.  Suggestions anyone?  Thanks!

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
Re: Wax Jambu Dying?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:19:11 PM »
Have you been watering it? Also the leaves some time drop because of the lack of nutrients, the nutrients are going towards the fruit instead.

fruity

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:22:14 PM »
Have you been watering it? Also the leaves some time drop because of the lack of nutrients, the nutrients are going towards the fruit instead.

Yes, every other day as the nursery suggested.  I drown it until i see water coming out of the drain holes.

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 12:02:16 AM »
It could be since its flowering, like I said the energy is going to the flowers not leaves so the tree will lose some of the leaves. This happens with my avocados, mangos, and sometimes lychee.

fruity

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 12:24:45 AM »
Okay, good to know.  I'll put off my worrying for now.  Thanks.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 06:39:24 AM »
Keep in mind that a container with a heavy concentration of roots is difficult to water all the way thru.  Lots of times the water seems to soak in but slips off to the sides of the container and run down and out.  Put a slow drip on the plant and make sure the center mass is getting water.  I've noticed when my wax jambus have flowered/fruit, the water intake went up.

fruity

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »
Thanks for the tip ohiojay.   Not sure where I want to permanently plant the tree yet so I don't want to set up any kind of irrigation system.  But I'll try watering more slowly and frequently to see what happens. 

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »
I meant that you could adjust your hose to a drip and just sit it in the container.

fruity

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 08:18:53 AM »
Duh! Of course  :-[  I've been using a watering can.  Forgot that using a hose was an option.

fruity

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 08:55:26 PM »
Just wanted to share an update.  I planted the tree and fertilized it with Alaska fish fertilizer.   Within a week a noticed some new growth, the existing leaves greened and the fruits are starting to swell! See photos below.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 07:15:11 AM »
Great job!  I hope the fruit is tasty.  My fruit on the grafted branch dropped a little early so could have tasted a little sweeter.  These were white.  The fruit on the seedling branch are red and two dropped early as well.  Not a bad flavor.  One fruit left holding on so we'll see if the flavor improves any.  Was pretty cool seeing both the white and red developing side by side though.  First fruiting...I'll give the tree another chance.  But just one.