Author Topic: Worm compost tea  (Read 3416 times)

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Worm compost tea
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:38:31 AM »
I had a question.  I've read that unsulfured molasses is used to feed the growing bacteria.  Can I use maple syrup instead?  I thought honey might work, except I think honey is antibacterial, which is detrimental.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Worm compost tea
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:49:26 AM »
I have read you can use maple syrup, or just plain old brown sugar also,   do not over do it with the carbs, if you over populate the brew, they die quicker once you remove the aeration because of the lack of oxygen,
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 06:45:13 AM »
Yes, I've read of several people reporting that you could use any natural source of sugar as long as it doesn't have ingredients which are harmful to bacteria you're trying to help multiply. Those that are less processed and retain most of their natural minerals are best. I'm no pro, though...

Actually, I'm trying a different approach with these teas. I mix a couple of cups of fertile forest soil, about 2 gallons of aquarium water, a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar or molasses, some fish fertilizer and mix it all up, then drench whatever I want to help out in the yard.

Why would I mess up a good thing? Well, I don't want to risk my tea going "bad" due to over brewing it or risk having a lack of oxygen ruining the batch and then making my plants sick. Sooooo I just pour it into the soil right after I mix it. The bacteria has lots of oxygen and will never go bad because of a lack of oxygen in the solution. Nature is free to do as she pleases with this sudden dose of beneficial forest soil bacteria, sugars, fish emultion, etc... I also dump kitchen scraps when I have them, in order to prolong the beneficial cycle. There are many risks associated with using tea like this, but I do see good results under my conditions. I cannot speak for others.

I've never had anything go bad yet and I see wonderful results with my plants. The earthworms have come back in disgusting levels. I tried this out after I had a batch of tea go bad- probably due to lack of oxygen and over brewing, where I suspect the levels of good bacteria peaked, then crashed because of exhausted sugar reserves and oxygen. I didn't know it went bad and after I poured it into several select plants, they started to look distressed. This is, of course, all IMHO. :)
✌🏽

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »
Yes, I've read of several people reporting that you could use any natural source of sugar as long as it doesn't have ingredients which are harmful to bacteria you're trying to help multiply. Those that are less processed and retain most of their natural minerals are best. I'm no pro, though...

Actually, I'm trying a different approach with these teas. I mix a couple of cups of fertile forest soil, about 2 gallons of aquarium water, a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar or molasses, some fish fertilizer and mix it all up, then drench whatever I want to help out in the yard.

Why would I mess up a good thing? Well, I don't want to risk my tea going "bad" due to over brewing it or risk having a lack of oxygen ruining the batch and then making my plants sick. Sooooo I just pour it into the soil right after I mix it. The bacteria has lots of oxygen and will never go bad because of a lack of oxygen in the solution. Nature is free to do as she pleases with this sudden dose of beneficial forest soil bacteria, sugars, fish emultion, etc... I also dump kitchen scraps when I have them, in order to prolong the beneficial cycle. There are many risks associated with using tea like this, but I do see good results under my conditions. I cannot speak for others.

I've never had anything go bad yet and I see wonderful results with my plants. The earthworms have come back in disgusting levels. I tried this out after I had a batch of tea go bad- probably due to lack of oxygen and over brewing, where I suspect the levels of good bacteria peaked, then crashed because of exhausted sugar reserves and oxygen. I didn't know it went bad and after I poured it into several select plants, they started to look distressed. This is, of course, all IMHO. :)

That's the traditional way to inoculate plants, , collect up some dirt from around the roots of a healthy plant of same or similar species , then add that to the transplant hole, of the new plant. this way you transfer healthy bacteria, and rhizomes etc.

So yeah if your plants are all healthy, its safe to assume that your soil is alive with good bio-organisms, that can be collected and spread. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 01:04:41 PM »
Any sugar is antibacterial while the sugar is still concentrated, as it causes reverse osmosis through the cell membranes, dehydrating the bacteria.  All sugars, including honey, lose their antibacterial quality as soon as they are hydrated with plenty of water.
Har

RodneyS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 07:39:46 PM »
Thanks.  I have an old bottle of corn syrup that I think I'm going to use. 

RodneyS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:54:50 PM »

1 day aerated water
1 tbs corn syrup
1 tbs unsulfured molasses

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 08:22:18 PM »
Looking good, keep us updated how it turns out.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk