Author Topic: Robbie's final mango twee  (Read 16109 times)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Robbie's final mango twee
« on: September 01, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »
Unless...God forbid a tree or trees dies or I'm not pleased with the fruit.
But as of now, my yard is at critical capacity- including 3x 20gal containers.
After much research on TFF and GW forums for late season mangoes I didn't have, 3 names came up:- Beverly, Gold Nugget and Neelam.
PM'd Zands (thx for answering my questions :) ) about his Gold Nugget tree and I was set on getting one after such favorable feedback.
Then...I saw a pic of Zands 7gal Neelam he got from Jeff that was planted out last year.
Looked barely 4 ft tall and holding lots o' mature mangoes.  :o :o
Thats what I want. Highly favorable reviews from some forum "mango heavy weights" saying it was an excellent mango ;D sealed the deal.

My 7 gal Neelam (looks 15gal tho) sourced by Pepesplants for me. Love this little tree.

Some buds are full and it looks as if it is going to push out new growth this month (tho I've read Neelam's growth is slow).

Latest happenings this month

Maha! 3rd flush since mid May 2012 pug.

Mallika. Lightly tipped. 3rd flush this summer. Fruit next yr I hope.

Okrung. Still growing madly. Quite bushy.

Cushman. Definetly vigorous. 3rd flush since mid May 2012 pug.

To recap, including those above, I have:
Lancetilla (never tasted it (nti))
Pickering
2x Julie (contanerizing the youngest makes possible a space for one more tree :D :D )
Dot
Pim Saen Mun (nti)
Carrie (nti)
and finally a Rosigold (nti).

Other mangoes I would have liked to plant out based on TFF and GW feedback are Cogshall, Gold Nugget, Beverly, Fairchild, Bailey's Marvel, Duncan, Spirit of 76, Alampur Baneshan, PPK, LZ, and CC. I'll save these for another plot of land  ;) .
If I had to do it over, I think I would have only planted all the FL avaliable SE Asian mango varieties. A green ripe yet firm NDM I had multiple times this season is just heavenly for me. Sweet, firm, juicy and allot to consume. And if having tasted 2 Mankunsri mangoes this summer was just a preview to SE Asian mangoes, SE Asian mangoes are excellent.

Now...where to plant this Neelam so the GF won't see it- immediately  ;D .
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:06:41 PM by TnTrobbie »
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Robbie's final mango twee
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 05:28:30 PM »

Other mangoes I would have liked to plant out based on TFF and GW feedback are Cogshall, Gold Nugget, Beverly, Fairchild, Bailey's Marvel, Duncan, Spirit of 76, Alampur Baneshan, PPK, LZ, and CC. I'll save these for another plot of land  ;) .

You should lose the Lancetilla and plant any one of these instead. Or top work it into something else.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 06:08:23 PM by Squam256 »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »
Nice mango trees!  :)
Alexi

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 10:18:45 PM »
In all of the posts I've read involving Lancetilla mango, I can only recollect 2 ppl liking it. But damn, the possibility of getting a 5lb mango...I have to experience that once. If I don't like it, I'll try my hand at making a cocktail mango tree with 2-3 varieties or replace it with something rare around here like Alampur Baneshan.

Tropicalgrower89, Thanks :) . All the best with your Pantin Mamey and Tikal Sapodilla. My Alano has one lone lychee sized sapo on it. "November to May" is the season, so hopefully I'll get a taste of my first Alano off my tree.
F*ck squirrels and deers

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:38:20 PM »
Very nice Neelam,  that's another one I want to get., but as others here have suggested  I will probably top work it onto my Lancetilla.  which I am thinking of making into a cocktail tree someday. I do not think i will eliminate the Lancetilla all together, probably leave one limb.

Seems you have a full seasons spread with your collection..
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 12:21:10 AM »
@TnTrobbie
Extend the season is the name of the game. Here it is September 1st and I have been distributing Keitt mangoes from a neighbors tree, I'll try and post a photo of it tomorrow. I have a Keitt that went on strike this year but last year extended into September.
Thanks for the kind mentions!
My Neelam held so many fruits, but in retrospect I should have thinned them out. The flavor suffered on such a young tree so I threw some immature ones out. Your Neelam looks great. Pepe had a very nice specimen for you and at this exact moment yours in the pot is more leafy and branched out than my planted Neelam but only because (I allowed) my Neelam resources went into fruiting instead of branching and leafing out.

Lousy fruit can happen on young mango trees. I have two other 2012 culprits my Pim Seng Mun and my Van Dyke. My winner mango this year is Fairchild with its small fruits kind of piney and spicy but they come in during the mango rush hour (when most mangoes ripen being June-July) while your (Robble) goal is to extend the season
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:52:55 AM by zands »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 12:44:57 AM »
In all of the posts I've read involving Lancetilla mango, I can only recollect 2 ppl liking it. But damn, the possibility of getting a 5lb mango...I have to experience that once. If I don't like it, I'll try my hand at making a cocktail mango tree with 2-3 varieties or replace it with something rare around here like Alampur Baneshan.

Tropicalgrower89, Thanks :) . All the best with your Pantin Mamey and Tikal Sapodilla. My Alano has one lone lychee sized sapo on it. "November to May" is the season, so hopefully I'll get a taste of my first Alano off my tree.

You're welcome and thanks.  :)
Cool. Is that the first bloom/fruit your alano produced?  Like you've mentioned, hopefully you'll be able to taste the fruit from the alano this season.
Alexi

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 12:53:11 AM »
Unless...God forbid a tree or trees dies or I'm not pleased with the fruit.
But as of now, my yard is at critical capacity- including 3x 20gal containers.
After much research on TFF and GW forums for late season mangoes I didn't have, 3 names came up:- Beverly, Gold Nugget and Neelam.
PM'd Zands (thx for answering my questions :) ) about his Gold Nugget tree and I was set on getting one after such favorable feedback.
Then...I saw a pic of Zands 7gal Neelam he got from Jeff that was planted out last year.
Looked barely 4 ft tall and holding lots o' mature mangoes.  :o :o
Thats what I want. Highly favorable reviews from some forum "mango heavy weights" saying it was an excellent mango ;D sealed the deal.

My 7 gal Neelam (looks 15gal tho) sourced by Pepesplants for me. Love this little tree.

Some buds are full and it looks as if it is going to push out new growth this month (tho I've read Neelam's growth is slow).

Latest happenings this month

Maha! 3rd flush since mid May 2012 pug.

Mallika. Lightly tipped. 3rd flush this summer. Fruit next yr I hope.

Okrung. Still growing madly. Quite bushy.

Cushman. Definetly vigorous. 3rd flush since mid May 2012 pug.

To recap, including those above, I have:
Lancetilla (never tasted it (nti))
Pickering
2x Julie (contanerizing the youngest makes possible a space for one more tree :D :D )
Dot
Pim Saen Mun (nti)
Carrie (nti)
and finally a Rosigold (nti).

If I had to do it over, I think I would have only planted all the FL avaliable SE Asian mango varieties. A green ripe yet firm NDM I had multiple times this season is just heavenly for me. Sweet, firm, juicy and allot to consume. And if having tasted 2 Mankunsri mangoes this summer was just a preview to SE Asian mangoes, SE Asian mangoes are excellent.

Now...where to plant this Neelam so the GF won't see it- immediately  ;D .

Hi Robbie

awesome trees!

Your Maha has really taken off. Mine has flushed only one time since I bought it (June). I have been fortunate this year and have had the opportunity to try all of those mangos, except for the Neelam , and from your wish list I would only select 3 in this order: , LZ , CC and Bailey's Marvel. These are excellent mangos I would rate them 8 out of 10. Since you are a big Julie fan I would also recommend a Bombay or a Graham they both seem to have that spicy and intense flavor that I love. BTW, have you tried the Julliet? I thought it was more consistent than the Julie.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 10:39:33 AM »
Very nice Neelam,  that's another one I want to get., but as others here have suggested  I will probably top work it onto my Lancetilla.  which I am thinking of making into a cocktail tree someday. I do not think i will eliminate the Lancetilla all together, probably leave one limb.

Seems you have a full seasons spread with your collection..

Thanks. We'll see if the season discriptions hold in my area/conditions for the Rosigold, Lance and Neelam. Hope the south florida weather is favorable leading up to my 2013 mango season.
F*ck squirrels and deers

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »
Congrats on those 3 flushes from Maha!  You are definitely doing something right.

As Harry said, it's hard to say that one mango is like another in flavor.  I think I would add Beverly to the list of mangos that are similar in some respects.   Other than trial and error, I don't know how you would determine which mangos that do well in Florida, for example, would also do well in San Diego.

I would also second the suggestion of adding Keitt to your collection.  It's productive, easily shipped, and not (in my own opinion) "light in flavor."

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »
@ Zands
I'll definetly thin out the fruit on newly flowered trees (mallika, lance, carrie, maha (hoping), PSM etc). The Keitts I've been enjoying this past two weeks I buy from the grocery (Food Town). Though not ideal, I buy em full and firm and allow em to ripen at home. Pretty decent with some tart but any non-watery mango I'll enjoy when my trees are barren  ;D . I considered the Fairchild and Cogshall (container) but I have enough June-July mangoes. I certainly lapsed this year to tryout the cultivars that interest me. But yeah, in the end, your Neelam that did, sealed the deal.  ;)

@Tropicalgrower89
Yep. First time flowering since in ground mid October 2011. Saw 2 more sapo being developed on the tree. When they get a lil bigger, gonna make a spherical cage to protect em from the squirrels. My Oxkutzcab sapo is not flowering so hopefully next year or two.

@JF
All the way from CA and you tasted em before me :D . Maha was inground mid october and push out it's first growth flush early Dec (pre-pugging). LZ interests me as well (Jeff raves about it). Beverly and Duncan. CC, I'd have to taste my self for the "coconut" flavor. Bailey's Marvel looks delicious. How was Alampur Baneshan? And what would be # 4 and #5 to complete your top 5 list?
I'm from Trinidad and based on the looks of it, I don't think I've tasted a Graham ;D . The only mangoes other than Julie to impress me were Starch and Calabash (what I call spicy). Similair to Buxton Spice mango but bigger, less fiber and not watery. I'd try any mango I havent tasted :D. Even a Tommy Atkins or Tebow (Young mango) :D .
F*ck squirrels and deers

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »
The first fruits picked off heavily laden 'Keitt' trees each season, especially if they are picked already in July, do tend to be "light on flavor."  But the last half or two-thirds of the crop, picked well into August or September, will be fully sweet--- plenty rich enough.
Har

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »
I think I would add Beverly to the list of mangos that are similar in some respects.   

I second that thought.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »
I think I would taste some of these varieties before going any further..ME personally, would never consider planting a Keitt, Beverly, Lancetilla, Spirit of 76, Golden Nugget (sorry Zands) or Graham (sorry Noel, just my opinion).  If you eat a lot of early and mid season mangoes, you will wind up with mango burnout come to late season fruit.  I would consider the Coco Cream, LZ, Southern Blush, Angie, Dot, Harvest Moon, and I am sure I could come up with others.  I would also be on the lookout for some possible new Zill varieties that would fall into late season (don't know if they will produce them or not but they are fantastic), their "experimental" IDs being K3, M4 and O2.  I have tried Juliette and while the trees I have seen MIGHT be more healthy the fruit I have tasted (and I tried many) was nothing to write home about.  If you like Julie, I agree on Bombay and possibly even Jakarta and Carrie (which I personally do not like but I find a lot of people who like Julie and Bombay also like Carrie)...Excalibur has a REALLY AWESOME Carrie on dwarfing rootstock (done by Zill) in a 25 gallon.  The shape and growth habit would make any backyard grower want it just for these reasons alone.
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 06:12:20 PM »
I've read about E-4. Could be the CC killer. One thing I've learn't from this hobby (vice?) especially on the boards is that while taste is the pinnacle, it isn't the only thing. Disease resistance and production must be considered. From the LZ's I've seen, there seems to be a serious sooty mold problem. I'll next add when I'm completely bowled over by a cultivar that makes me exclaim on first taste "DAMN!...MUST HAVE. But how is the resistance and production" . lol. But from what I have, I hope I like Carrie. And that Lancetilla dosen't disappoint me (either not sweet or watery).
F*ck squirrels and deers

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 07:24:03 PM »
I've read about E-4. Could be the CC killer. One thing I've learn't from this hobby (vice?) especially on the boards is that while taste is the pinnacle, it isn't the only thing. Disease resistance and production must be considered. From the LZ's I've seen, there seems to be a serious sooty mold problem. I'll next add when I'm completely bowled over by a cultivar that makes me exclaim on first taste "DAMN!...MUST HAVE. But how is the resistance and production" . lol. But from what I have, I hope I like Carrie. And that Lancetilla dosen't disappoint me (either not sweet or watery).

Sooty mold is not usually the trees fault but it's a result of the excess honeydew produced by sucking insects. I wouldn't blame the LZ on the sooty mold if you've seen a few trees with it.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »
  I would also be on the lookout for some possible new Zill varieties that would fall into late season (don't know if they will produce them or not but they are fantastic), their "experimental" IDs being K3, M4 and O2.

How late would you say these three new varieties are?  Or is it too soon to tell?

My Neelams are gone for the season, and I'm wishing I had replanted Keitt years ago, as I enjoy it a lot.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 09:48:23 PM »
From the LZ's I've seen, there seems to be a serious sooty mold problem.

Probably just had scale; which any mangoes can get.

The 'problem' LZ could have is a production problem.

ekimllabmik

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 11:26:34 PM »

NEW TO THE SITE AND TRYING TO NAVIGATE MY WAY AROUND.  SOME NICE LOOKING MANGO TREES IN THE PICS.  i HAVE SOME ISSUES WITH MY TREES AND WILL POST SOME PICS TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS SOME ADVICE.

ekimllabmik

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 11:41:27 PM »

NDM #4
CURRENTLY i HAVE NDM,MALLIKA,CARRIE,ICE CREAM, EDWARD, HADEN, VALENCIA PRIDE, PO PYU KALAY, GLENN, FLORIGON, ORANGE SHERBERT, QUIDNOW, HIMSAGER MANGOS AND
BREWSTER, HAK IP AND MAURITIUS LYCHEES,
ORO NEGRO, DAY, FLA HAAS, AND MIGUEL AVOCADO
SOME OF MY MANGOS HAVE SOME GROWTH STUNTING AND NEED SOME ADVICE ON WHAT I AM DOING WRONG.
CAN ANYONE HELP?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 12:30:27 AM »
Ekimllabmik,
Hi and welcome to the forum. If you have a lot of questions that differ from the original thread you are posting in, please create a 'new topic'.

ekimllabmik

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 11:24:28 AM »
Robbie
My favorite mangos are carrie and himsager, but I have tried the lancetilla.  They are absolutely huge, I would not rank them in the top ten but I was certainly surprised how sweet and fiberless the fruit was.  It has a very nice color as well, very orange.  I dont believe I have tried Neelam, I will put that on my list to try next year as well as julie.  I would also like to try the Maha Chanok and spirit of 76, along with just about any other mango someone wants me to try!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »
I'd agree with you on that one personally. However, my wife really likes them, due in part to the texture, and probably also because it lacks tart.

You should lose the Lancetilla and plant any one of these instead. Or top work it into something else.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »
I'd agree with you on that one personally. However, my wife really likes them, due in part to the texture, and probably also because it lacks tart.

Elsie likes Lancetilla?  :o ???
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »
@JF
All the way from CA and you tasted em before me :D . Maha was inground mid october and push out it's first growth flush early Dec (pre-pugging). LZ interests me as well (Jeff raves about it). Beverly and Duncan. CC, I'd have to taste my self for the "coconut" flavor. Bailey's Marvel looks delicious. How was Alampur Baneshan? And what would be # 4 and #5 to complete your top 5 list?
I'm from Trinidad and based on the looks of it, I don't think I've tasted a Graham ;D . The only mangoes other than Julie to impress me were Starch and Calabash (what I call spicy). Similair to Buxton Spice mango but bigger, less fiber and not watery. I'd try any mango I havent tasted :D. Even a Tommy Atkins or Tebow (Young mango) :D .

Robbie
Don't even bother, you are not missing out on anything. Those are below average mangos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk