Author Topic: Maha Chanok close to ripening in San Diego  (Read 1831 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Maha Chanok close to ripening in San Diego
« on: May 19, 2017, 05:45:17 PM »
I visited Leo Manuel last week and was pretty surprised to see he had some Maha Chanok mangos nearly ripe. I've also noticed on my own small tree that I get a very extended season with this variety. One year I had two crops, the later crop ripening in Winter. The fruit is good, I would consider it second tier, but this tree is worth having because of its extended season, beautiful shape and color of the fruit, wonderful aroma and relative disease resistance.

I did not look to see if any other varieties were ripening but I'll check on the next visit.

Maha Chanok

Simon

Hak007

• Pakistan
    • View Profile
Re: Maha Chanok close to ripening in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »
Hi Simon can I have your email please. I need to discuss some queries related to mango IQF processing. Regards.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 06:15:57 AM »
Interesting as my Maha Chanok is just starting it's first growth flush in November.  This tree is on Turpentine root stock and my goal this year was to graft it onto one of my mango seedlings in the ground but the lack of growth and cool summer prevented that. Perhaps in 2018 it will grow better and I can do the graft.

Johnny

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 09:57:40 PM »
Mine is flowering crazy right now. The grafted rootstock and it's trunk is in really bad condition, completely cracked open and exposing the phloem and xylem.  But it's manage to look very healthy on top.  i will need to try graft onto a manila .  every branch has a flowering spikes.  fortunately, it's in the greenhouse unheated , keeping it away from the winter rain. once it gets colder in jan, i all start heating it with BBQ charcoals, that's the heating plan.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk