Author Topic: Miracid Foliar Spray Fertilizing For Pineapple Plants?  (Read 1095 times)

deac777

• USA, Northern, CA USDA Zone10A
    • View Profile
Miracid Foliar Spray Fertilizing For Pineapple Plants?
« on: May 15, 2020, 03:45:28 PM »
I'm relatively new to growing pineapples. I saw an article on the Internet from a guy growing pineapples in the Bahamas. He was suggesting to fertilize pineapple plants by foliar applying  Miracle Gro Miracid fertilizer.  Anyone have any experience fertilizing their plants using this method.  If so, did this work out for you?

Darryl

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Miracid Foliar Spray Fertilizing For Pineapple Plants?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 04:02:40 PM »
Yeah it will work well, then you can switch to high potassium when they mature and flower. 
Brad Spaugh

deac777

• USA, Northern, CA USDA Zone10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 03:13:15 PM »
I have three pineapple plants that are flowering. So for those plants should I switch over to Southern Ag 5-11-26? I have 30# available, as this is the fertilizer I use in my vegistable hydroponic mix.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 03:27:34 PM »
Patience for pineapples. It took me two years to get very nice and edible fruits from the two I planted and used no fertilizer on. I left the plants alone and this summer I am getting regrowth and two new beautiful fruits that should be ripe in two months.

Do others just leave pineapple plants alone and get crops each year? Plus mine are putting out off-shoots. So I might be getting a pineapple patch established.  I realize that commercial growers probably don't do it this way.

You grow them at home and let them ripen to perfection. You will get pineapples with a bare minimum of acid and lots of sweetness

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 05:15:22 PM »
I use a scant handful of slow release Nutricote Total w/micronutrients 180 day release but only once/year. I had another fertilizer which wasn't slow release and it evidently had too much release of copper. That one burned the leaf tips be careful bromeliads do NOT like copper. The planting I have looks like it will average 50 or more fruit/year. This was last year this year there are a few more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y20U4UJFV-U&t

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 06:21:06 PM »
I use a scant handful of slow release Nutricote Total w/micronutrients 180 day release but only once/year. I had another fertilizer which wasn't slow release and it evidently had too much release of copper. That one burned the leaf tips be careful bromeliads do NOT like copper. The planting I have looks like it will average 50 or more fruit/year. This was last year this year there are a few more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y20U4UJFV-U&t

I looked at your video. It all looks so good! You have some ripened to golden perfection pineapples there. Yeah I know this was from Jun 29, 2019. They are large, they should go for $4 minimum for such prime tastes. You never see such gold colors in the store. Golden all over the pineapple. Better than a watery mango any day of the week.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 06:36:15 PM »
I have three pineapple plants that are flowering. So for those plants should I switch over to Southern Ag 5-11-26? I have 30# available, as this is the fertilizer I use in my vegistable hydroponic mix.

Yeah, you want micro nutrient in there as well as calcium and iron. 

You may need to add a little of the miracle grow to get the nitrogen up just a bit. 

If that stuff is water soluable you can spray it but you can also mix in a watering can and pour in the plant and soil drench.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 06:41:11 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh