Author Topic: Avocado cultivation and production in Republic Of Georgia, NEED ADVICE  (Read 1132 times)

Iraklisani

• Republic Of Georgia, Tbilisi
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm from Republic Of Georgia and i'm planning production of Avocado

reed a lot of info about zones and climates for avocado, shortly i'm stopped at Mexican and Mexican hybrids like

‘Brogdon’
‘Ettinger’
‘Gainesville’
‘Mexicola’
‘Winter Mexican’
currently he in Georgia we have a lot of berry, citrus .........an so on but unfortunately no avocados (( i wonder why ?

So if you can give me a direction of how can i get related info about cultivation or any advice or climate matching of certain avocado i'll appreciate

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
If you can grow oranges, you should be able to grow avocados.  Is your climate Mediterranean?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:07:23 AM by johnb51 »
John

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
With John there, whats your climate like? I never really put the Ukraine down as a warm climate but if you guys have warm type citrus and not just Satsuma and red grapefruit you should be ok, probably better since you probably don't have the wilt disease that's here in FL. From experience, Brogdon is a tough fast grower. If you have deer or deer-like varmints running around you will likely need to fence them off because deer absolutely LOVE avocado trees.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Spain is the largest avocado producer in Europe. You can see the varieties grown there. In southern Spain along the coast. If you can visit Spain you can see how they cultivate them. Italy and Greece have good avocado climates but it seems few if any avocado plantations.
http://www.avocadosource.com/temp/OLD%20WAC%20II/WAC2_p647.htm

‘Brogdon’
‘Ettinger’
‘Gainesville’
‘Mexicola’
‘Winter Mexican’

I doubt you will find these in Europe, where you can buy the young trees to be sent to you in Georgia.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Looking at your weather averages, you may want to look into the cold-tolerant varieties they grow in Texas, because they are probably most appropriate for your type of humid subtropical climate.

Iraklisani

• Republic Of Georgia, Tbilisi
    • View Profile
Hi all, first thank you all for your replies
here In Georgia we have different climate zones , i would describe more subtropical but we don't have jungles and typical environment i assume as a subtropic like in Brazil or India with jungles, snakes, spiders and strange spices  around )) here is a link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Georgia_(country)

In general we have 2 part zones (Lets call them A and B)
A zone- fruits like kiwi, orange, feijoa, citruses, (but not bananas or coconuts)

B zone-wine, wine and wine  :)  (we are oldest wine producer country, wine is our main culture)

In general i'll try to cultivate in both regions, i stopped at cold hardy avocado types (could not fined any in Spain) so i assume to search in US due to verity of zones and avocado types. I guess i have to shot all cold hardy avocados and make a selection  :(

JSea

• New Zealand, 9b
    • View Profile
Your zone A sounds good for avocados - those listed species are roughly indicator species for avocado in NZ (although also we usually find ornamental bananas in areas that have avocados fruiting).

The zone B is perhaps too 'continental' of a climate (i.e. temperates go both too cold and too hot, and summer is too dry) to really let avocados thrive, but I didn't check the specifics - and these problems can usually be overcome with effort/expense.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Looks like you may be able to grow HASS there, Give it a try. Saw a nice temperature range  with winter lows of 2 °C (35.6 °F) 
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk