Author Topic: Best Zill Mango Variety?  (Read 5347 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Best Zill Mango Variety?
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2020, 04:12:44 PM »
Cac sounds good.
I would be curious if grafted on Piva rootstock if it would tame the vigor much
How many on this forum have said i only want one mango tree! It goes to 3 six 9 and on.You bought a house with a view and now you have to climb on the roof to see past your trees LoL
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2020, 05:46:24 PM »
I've heard that squirrels dont like Coconut cream mango, but the tree is rather odd looking with scraggly limbs.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

quesofreshcoh

• Sanford FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2020, 08:00:11 PM »
Carrie is not fast growing and is a small tree, and Coconut Cream is an ugly tree.  So forget those two.
As far as Coconut flavor my M-4 seems vigorous but u need try one first. I've  had Coconut Cream and barely taste coconut. My wife would give my right hand for one. :D

Ugh I wish I lived down in South Florida sometimes and have all the mango varieties available. Coconut flavored mangoes sound otherworldly. I went down last year to the Fruit and Spice park and then stopped to get fruits at Robert is Here. That's where I had my first ever tree-ripe mango (it was a Keitt) and I nearly died. Store bought fruit is nothing compared to the fresh stuff. I would definitely love to get my hands on all these varieties and taste them myself. I might start off with one and slowly develop it into a cocktail tree like another member here (forgot their name) since I know a few nurseries in the area and I might have to do some begging for scions, but I'm getting waaaay too ahead of myself. I have no experience with grafting but I would love to experiment with it lol.
-Gabe

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2020, 08:03:43 PM »
Previous posts have indicated that E4 and M4 failed to attract the attention of most pests.

Certain new Zill varieties like Super Julie are said to be as fast growing as VP if not faster.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2020, 08:23:15 PM »
I chose my front-yard mango tree with the same criteria except for production, because it would seem the newer Zill varieties are just too new to have unbiased production results geographically. I chose a “sugarloaf” it’s doubled in size in a year and it’s very attractive. The fruit is PHENOMENAL. To me the Names were accidentally switched at Zill’s place because the “pina colada” tastes like a sugarloaf pineapple and the “sugarloaf” tastes like a delicious pina colada. It’s a green mango which I hope will keep thieves and squirrels away. The tree grows upright and has a symmetrical canopy. I planted 5 mango trees in my backyard and “coconut cream” is the lamest looking tree. It should have been named “droopy Hawaiian Tropic” Because it sags badly and Tastes like coconut sunscreen. I believe The sugarloaf Is supposed to have “keitt” parentage so maybe it will be a bit scraggly like my keitt but looks great now and I just tipped it and cut off some old leaves.

Good luck! Maybe some one with more experience can tell you how “sugarloaf” produces after some years?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:30:14 PM by Honest Abe »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2020, 08:39:43 PM »
I've heard that squirrels dont like Coconut cream mango, but the tree is rather odd looking with scraggly limbs.

Squirrels ravaged the fruit on my Coco Cream when I lived in Boynton.

Once squirrels discover mangoes, they are not picky.  The will hit any tree they find with fruit hanging.

- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2020, 07:39:37 PM »

Once squirrels discover mangoes, they are not picky.  The will hit any tree they find with fruit hanging.
Would putting up bird feeders to be the focal point distract them or would that just magnify the problem. An extortion payment to keep them fat and happy

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:44:51 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2020, 07:49:22 PM »

Would putting up bird feeders to be the focal point distract them or would that just magnify the problem. An extortion payment to keep them fat and happy

Makes it worse, then they know whose yard they can live off of.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2020, 08:08:49 PM »
I feed squirrels in the front yard, away from trees, when mangoes are ripening.

It helps, but won't stop them.

You have to pick them at the earliest signs of ripening.

CC is no exception. My squirrels rate it at a "5" for now, but seem to be warming up to them. They prefer Glenns. But then again, Glenns are more abundant, have been growing here longer, and are more similar to the neighborhood mangoes.

There is no such thing as a squirrel-proof mango. Like shrimp in a reef tank, eventually they learn to eat anything edible and to their taste around them.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2020, 08:44:35 PM »

Makes it worse, then they know whose yard they can live off of.
I think you on to something there.When my in-laws come over for the holidays they only leave when food and alcohol are gone.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2020, 08:45:34 PM »
Kill the squirrels (live traps or pellet gun).
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2020, 08:48:34 PM »
Roof rats live in trees

The secretive, nocturnal nature of rats means that they often go unnoticed in a neighborhood until dooryard citrus and other fruit starts to ripen. They then make their presence known with a vengeance. In citrus, papaya, cantaloupe, and watermelon the characteristic damage is a circular hole about the size of a quarter or half dollar and the whole fruit hollowed out

As we progress through the citrus season (from September through March), the roof rats that may have been living quietly around your house or grove make themselves known. Hollowed-out fruit is the most common evidence of roof rats.

In apples, peaches, tomatoes, carambolas, bananas, pineapples, and mangos, large sections of fruit are eaten away. They remove whole fruits from blueberries, figs, grapes, strawberries, lichees, Surinam cherry, loquat, and dates, so the damage is less noticeable or birds are blamed for the missing fruit. In Florida, roof rats—along with our native cotton rat—destroy or damage a great deal of sugar cane every year.
Nothing like having a good cat

I'm innocent I tell you it' was my little friend

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:05:23 PM by bovine421 »

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2020, 09:12:15 PM »
Roof rats live in trees

The secretive, nocturnal nature of rats means that they often go unnoticed in a neighborhood until dooryard citrus and other fruit starts to ripen. They then make their presence known with a vengeance. In citrus, papaya, cantaloupe, and watermelon the characteristic damage is a circular hole about the size of a quarter or half dollar and the whole fruit hollowed out

As we progress through the citrus season (from September through March), the roof rats that may have been living quietly around your house or grove make themselves known. Hollowed-out fruit is the most common evidence of roof rats.

In apples, peaches, tomatoes, carambolas, bananas, pineapples, and mangos, large sections of fruit are eaten away. They remove whole fruits from blueberries, figs, grapes, strawberries, lichees, Surinam cherry, loquat, and dates, so the damage is less noticeable or birds are blamed for the missing fruit. In Florida, roof rats—along with our native cotton rat—destroy or damage a great deal of sugar cane every year.

Great info!
The silver lining is the rat population in the sugarcane fields(completely detrimental to our waters) Seems to be the last stronghold for our native Endangered snakes such as Indigos, in my experience.

Sorry waaaay off topic I still say “sugarloaf is best NEW  Zill variety.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2020, 09:43:20 PM »
Roof rats live in trees

Great info!
The silver lining is the rat population in the sugarcane fields(completely detrimental to our waters) Seems to be the last stronghold for our native Endangered snakes such as Indigos, in my experience.

Sorry waaaay off topic I still say “sugarloaf is best NEW  Zill variety.
It's been awhile since I saw an indigo snake. My father who is long time past used to have an 8-footer on his property, i used to like to watch him eat other snakes. My problem with those little furry creatures is they won't just eat one fruit the whole thing they like to sample as many as possible and when they get thirsty they go down to the pond and creeks and leave a scent Trail for water moccasins to come to my back door. I've bush axed two of them that where at least 5 foot and fat. My 70+ mother in-law did a back flip back into house one morning.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TnoprkeK1xG14CVe7
Corn snake on Peavine Rd Kenansville Fl
Not off topic
After parsing through your statement you want a

Vigorous Tree
Attractive Tree
Productive Tree
Precocious Tree
Great tasting fruit (not necessarily "top tier")
Squirel resistant fruit
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:59:54 PM by bovine421 »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2020, 12:20:36 AM »
It seems the torch has been passed from Lemon Zest to Sugarloaf, which has been the Zill Superstar of 2020.  But I'd still like to try Phoenix and Carla, too.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2020, 12:11:31 PM »
It seems the torch has been passed from Lemon Zest to Sugarloaf, which has been the Zill Superstar of 2020.  But I'd still like to try Phoenix and Carla, too.
Yes i to have high hopes for E4 and miss an opportunity to taste it. From what I understand it stays green and has a long window that it taste good. I to also have high hopes for Carla. I'm finding out that I prefer the classic acid group more so than the coconut flavored ones. Here's a picture of my E4. Is it just me or is it hot outside :)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:20:18 PM by bovine421 »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2020, 12:58:01 PM »
Yes i to have high hopes for E4 and miss an opportunity to taste it. From what I understand it stays green and has a long window that it taste good. I to also have high hopes for Carla. I'm finding out that I prefer the classic acid group more so than the coconut flavored ones. Here's a picture of my E4. Is it just me or is it hot outside :)

Did you grow these mangos or buy them?
The first mangos I ever ate (CA 1970's) were shipped from Mexico so that means Tommy Atkins, Irwin, Haden, Kent, and Keitt.  Of these Kent was always the best so that has given me an affinity for "classic acid group," as well.  I'm always in search of the Super-Kent.  (Yes, it's July, and it's freakin' hot!)
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2020, 02:32:34 PM »

Did you grow these mangos or buy them?
The first mangos I ever ate (CA 1970's) were shipped from Mexico so that means Tommy Atkins, Irwin, Haden, Kent, and Keitt.  Of these Kent was always the best so that has given me an affinity for "classic acid group," as well.  I'm always in search of the Super-Kent.  (Yes, it's July, and it's freakin' hot!)
I am still  building my team but should have a sizable crop of Sweetart and OS next Season. These Came from WPB every couple weeks during the season i drive down the back scenic route and buy 30 lbs. I pay for premium varieties a week ahead of time and do not bother making wish list, i like being surprised.I find it to be a good value in the summer when it to hot to vacation any where IMHO. Think about it one night New Year eve at the Marroit World Center Orlando is or was $600 i am sure Marco Island would not be much cheaper.We enjoy sitting at kitchen table trying the different varieties. Its amazing on what we agree upon and don't. Picking the top mango is like be a judge at Miss Universe Pageant. As Steve Harvey would say! The winner is Miss Columbia!!! I apologize Philippines! :) :o :(

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 03:19:23 PM by bovine421 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »
@bovine421 -----  You are representing in a great way. I like all your posts but where the heck is half hop Florida? All i know is that under our South Florida summer sun we endure. You seem to have the money so plant lots more mango trees  so your family and children friends can eat them and smile and say thank you.

Selling of course too. Too many trees...you must sell and take money. Especially if this is EBT/welfare money dropped on them. No one appreciates free stuff. In fact they will hate you.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 04:36:37 PM by zands »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2020, 05:18:39 PM »
@bovine421 -----  You are representing in a great way. I like all your posts but where the heck is half hop Florida? All i know is that under our South Florida summer sun we endure. You seem to have the money so plant lots more mango trees  so your family and children friends can eat them and smile and say thank you.
Its a skip and a jump from Whittier which was the capital of Mosquito county in 1827. Its a fur piece from the Sugar Belt Railroad much closer to the Flagler's spur tracks by the Turpentine camps head towards Okeechobee. Its yonders way from the Cow Palace restaurant are we clear now LOL
ps mango trees are much cheaper then building a mud truck or owning a boat

Half Hop is on the other side of the fence where they keep Silver Spurs Rodeo Bulls

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:57:25 PM by bovine421 »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2020, 09:54:20 PM »
Its a skip and a jump from Whittier which was the capital of Mosquito county in 1827. Its a fur piece from the Sugar Belt Railroad much closer to the Flagler's spur tracks by the Turpentine camps head towards Okeechobee. Its yonders way from the Cow Palace restaurant are we clear now LOL

I found Whittier FL 34739 off of 441, north of Yeehaw Junction.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2020, 10:54:44 PM »

I found Whittier FL 34739 off of 441, north of Yeehaw Junction.
Yes it is not as well Know as Fort Drum where the Okeechobee Milk Maiden resides.LoL

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:58:48 PM by bovine421 »

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2020, 12:26:45 PM »
I feed squirrels in the front yard, away from trees, when mangoes are ripening.

It helps, but won't stop them.

You have to pick them at the earliest signs of ripening.

CC is no exception. My squirrels rate it at a "5" for now, but seem to be warming up to them. They prefer Glenns. But then again, Glenns are more abundant, have been growing here longer, and are more similar to the neighborhood mangoes.

There is no such thing as a squirrel-proof mango. Like shrimp in a reef tank, eventually they learn to eat anything edible and to their taste around them.

Another method is to place the trees far away and use a metal shield around the main trunk of the tree.  This will deter any type rodent from climbing up the tree or jumping into it.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.