Author Topic: Want: Purple or yellow mombin cuttings  (Read 2105 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Want: Purple or yellow mombin cuttings
« on: June 26, 2016, 04:24:13 AM »
I have one yellow dragon fruit (S. megalanthus) cutting, prickly pear cuttings, and moringa seeds to trade. :) PM if interested!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:16:42 PM by sildanani »
Anisha

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
Re: Want: Purple or yellow mombin cuttings
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »
I have one small yellow mombin that is almost a year old. They aren't hard to grow from seeds which I bought from tradewindsfruit.com. They also sell red ones periodically and even have kaffir plums, an African relative to the mombin.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 11:15:18 PM »
They are fool proof to grow from hardwood cutting.  Almost any thickness will do it.  Just stick it in a pot.  Take is near 100%.  The trees are pretty big, will be difficult to grow properly in a pot in Ohio.
- Rob

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 12:24:08 AM »
They are fool proof to grow from hardwood cutting.  Almost any thickness will do it.  Just stick it in a pot.  Take is near 100%.  The trees are pretty big, will be difficult to grow properly in a pot in Ohio.
Darn. That thought didn't even occur to me. Even with excessive pruning and a large pot?
Anisha

akanonui

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:19:21 PM »
I've heard the same thing. Dwarf june plum/ambarella is also a Spondias, and can be easily grown in a pot and will fruit within a year. That might be your best bet. It is fairly commonly sold in vietnamese markets but the fruits are usually picked green and far too early to have a good seed. I got one from Logee's a while ago but it since has died. I honestly don't know why either, it was healthy, then it went dormant for winter, I cut back watering and it still got moldy at the top and then it just died from top to bottom. I sprayed it with neem and still nothing helped. Anyway, I really want to fruit a Spondias of any kind as they are all quite delicious and like a small mango.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 10:09:34 PM »
I've heard the same thing. Dwarf june plum/ambarella is also a Spondias, and can be easily grown in a pot and will fruit within a year. That might be your best bet. It is fairly commonly sold in vietnamese markets but the fruits are usually picked green and far too early to have a good seed. I got one from Logee's a while ago but it since has died. I honestly don't know why either, it was healthy, then it went dormant for winter, I cut back watering and it still got moldy at the top and then it just died from top to bottom. I sprayed it with neem and still nothing helped. Anyway, I really want to fruit a Spondias of any kind as they are all quite delicious and like a small mango.
Could excessive humidity caused mold? If I could just grow mombin in an x-large pot with lots of pruning I'd be happy with that! :) I want to try growing it before investing in a grafted mango tree. Since cutting propagation is generally inexpensive.
Anisha

akanonui

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 10:58:10 PM »
I think it would work personally. People literally chop the entire tree down once dormant and new shoots appear in the spring. I think it will be fine for at least a few years. Root pruning might be possible as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk