Author Topic: Up potting jackfruit and some pics of the new trees.  (Read 886 times)

AlexE

• Atherton, Nth Queensland, australia
    • View Profile
Up potting jackfruit and some pics of the new trees.
« on: November 22, 2020, 04:55:59 AM »
Hi, so I've been lurking around for a while, learning a lot. Decided to finally post some pics.
I cleared some corn in my mini agroforestry/ food forest and took the opportunity to transplant my jackfruit seedlings into bigger pots and move them into some more light. I've been using root training pots to try and stop the issues with the tap root that can come from keeping them in pots for long periods. There's 6 J33/ tekam gold and then a mix of crunchy yellows and oranges. I also have some cheena jackfruit seedlings just coming up.

My two cupuasu trees with a baby rollinia, cacao and illama underneath.

My new sawo manila and krasuey sapodilla.

And some various other pics from around the years. Rollinia, soursop, bananas (Cavendish, dwarf ducasse) cherry guava and some of the collection in pots under my pisang Ceylon bananas.

And my little direct planted cheena jackfruit thats just popping up.

johnnym33315

• US, Florida, Ocala, 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Up potting jackfruit and some pics of the new trees.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 09:31:37 PM »
Cool stuff! Regarding the root training pots, the ones I have seen have openings in the bottom so the air will stop the root growth, what is stopping the tap root from just sneaking into the dirt? I've had mangos in nursery pots on several layers of landscape fabric push right through into the ground, not pretty.

AlexE

• Atherton, Nth Queensland, australia
    • View Profile
Re: Up potting jackfruit and some pics of the new trees.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 10:37:21 PM »
Cool stuff! Regarding the root training pots, the ones I have seen have openings in the bottom so the air will stop the root growth, what is stopping the tap root from just sneaking into the dirt? I've had mangos in nursery pots on several layers of landscape fabric push right through into the ground, not pretty.

I've been keeping my eye on that, so far the roots have air pruned in the smaller pots. There are holes that allow a fair bit of air flow under the base plate so we will see. We're expecting a really heavy wet season starting in the next month or so so it will be interested to see.

Funny you should say that though, I used to keep a variety of mango I got from an elderly man up the road in really big fabric pot, no idea of the variety (he got it from a friend who used to breed mangoes as a hobby) but it never ever pushed through the fabric. Maybe it depends on the variety.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk