Author Topic: How many mangoes can this small tree handle?  (Read 4458 times)

Marcel

• Pretoria, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Rare Fruit Growers South Africa
How many mangoes can this small tree handle?
« on: October 20, 2014, 03:42:08 AM »
My question is related to the small size on this tree (scion-ed so fruiting early), and how many mangoes this small tree might be able to get to maturity?

Currently I have 12 left, after I took off 12 out of 24.

I am thinking this small tree can support no more than 5?

Pics:

Join the Rare Fruit Growers South Africa Community:
https://www.facebook.com/RareFruitGrowersSouthAfrica

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Re: How many mangoes can this small tree handle?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 03:56:03 AM »
Without knowing the variety and other particulars about the tree, it's care and environment. ..I'm guessing based on size alone (which still is a little hard to tell from the pic) that 5 may be optimistic.  Maybe 2, 3 if you're really lucky? In most cases the tree will naturally drop what it can't support (which may be all) even without thinning. Although rarer, some young mango trees may take on more than they should and severely stunt themselves for a while after, injure themselves with broken limbs from fruit weight, or even fruit themselves to death by directing so much energy into holding fruit.
always longing for a JA Julie

Marcel

• Pretoria, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 04:16:18 AM »
Without knowing the variety and other particulars about the tree, it's care and environment. ..I'm guessing based on size alone (which still is a little hard to tell from the pic) that 5 may be optimistic.  Maybe 2, 3 if you're really lucky? In most cases the tree will naturally drop what it can't support (which may be all) even without thinning. Although rarer, some young mango trees may take on more than they should and severely stunt themselves for a while after, injure themselves with broken limbs from fruit weight, or even fruit themselves to death by directing so much energy into holding fruit.

I hear you. 2 to 3 makes sense. Nutrition is excellent, rock dust and compost tea being fed regularly. But I think I will try 2.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:17:06 AM »
I would remove all fruit, the tree is very small. It doesn't even have any branches yet. Most my mango trees were the same size as yours when I first recieved them and I have been removing all the fruit for the last three years. This year, I will start letting some of my trees hold fruit.

Simon

Marcel

• Pretoria, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:39:10 AM »
I would remove all fruit, the tree is very small. It doesn't even have any branches yet. Most my mango trees were the same size as yours when I first recieved them and I have been removing all the fruit for the last three years. This year, I will start letting some of my trees hold fruit.

Simon

Thanks Simon. Why would you remove them all though an not even leave 1?

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:45:31 AM »
It's ultimately your call Marcel, if you want to see if it can hold a fruit or even a couple to maturity. Some (like Simon I'm guessing) believe in removing all from young trees. I understand that,  however, especially if you have a lot of trees I don't see what's too wrong in letting the occasional young tree hold a fruit or two, or see if it can rather. Once you accept that there are some risks involved in doing so, I say go for it if that's what you want. Again in most cases (I think) the tree will drop what it can't support,  which for a tree of that size may just be all of them.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 09:48:44 AM »
Oh I meant to add that I have let small mango trees your size fruit before with no adverse effects, they went on to flourish. And I have had a small tree take a couple seasons to recover and grow again after letting it hold fruit.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »
When I first started planting trees, I thought it wasn't advised because the branches would snap from the weight.  I grew a carambola on an espalier wire and since, it was supported, the young tree gave like 25 carambolas!!  Man, did I think I had it figured out.  Now, a year later, the tree hasn't even thought about blooming, yet all my other carambolas were.  It's like a young teenager having a baby.  She may be able to have a baby, but that doesn't mean it's best for her health.

It ultimately depends in your patience level, but doing it simon's way and providing the right nutrition for the tree will ultimately give a great harvest once it finally comes.  That being said, I usually keep 1 fruit to try, and if it turns black or drops, so be it!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 12:50:30 PM »
Full size, Full flavor?

Zero

Do the tree a favor.  Don't let it try.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »
Hello Marcel,

Jani is right, the tree will likely drop fruit that it cannot handle but I prefer to let all the energy that would otherwise go into fruit, go into developing the canopy. If you let it hold fruit, there is a chance your tree will not have a veg flush until after the fruit is removed. Also, like sleep doc mentioned, with so few leaves for photosynthesis, you may not get the true flavor and sweetness of the mango.

By letting your tree establish now, it will be better situated to grow and fight off adverse conditions or insects and diseases or the cold. I would rather have two cookies tomorrow than one cookie today:)

Simon

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 01:47:26 PM »
Marcel, i don't know your weather situation in SA but if possible and space permits the tree would grow a lot faster in the ground  ;)

Other than that i agree with SleepDoc and Simon Don't let it fruit. You need a distraction . If you can swing it get a couple larger trees 15-25 gal that will bear fruit quicker to take your focus off the small one and satisfying your cravings for mango. You will be surprised how fast the small one will grow for you when you stop paying it too much attention. Just my 2 cents .

Mike - in the desert, 90 degrees in late October - gotta luv it!

Marcel

• Pretoria, South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 03:37:19 AM »
Thanks guys.

I cut them all off... but for one. I just cant get my heart over it.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 04:42:04 AM »
Thanks guys.

I cut them all off... but for one. I just cant get my heart over it.

That's also what i would do. Also i would repot it or plant it in full soil.

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 06:39:30 AM »
Agreed, dont know much about growing mango yet, but its almost universal in my experience with fruit trees to let the plant develope before it fruits. I dont let citrus fruit for the first 2 years. If its a good size plant in year 3 I let it fruit. Same with with blueberries, no fruit until the second year, maybe 3 if its not sized up. Figs same thing, no fruit for at least the first year. One thing to remember about growing fruit, its a marathon, not a race!

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 11:57:14 AM »
Marcel,
Well done!
Next year do the same thing you did this year, remove every single fruit when they are pea size.  Your mango tree will pay you back with interest and consumer price index correction.  For instant gratification, go to "Adega", near Silverlakes, Pretoria, and hit some chicken/squid/ and shrimp with a great South African white wine.  Tell the owner that Berto, the Brasilian rare fruit collector sent you!

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 11:02:20 AM »
It is well known by experienced growers not to let fruit form fr 2 to 3 years....I have seen pics of two identical size trees.......one had fruit removed and the other didnt.....the size and canopy of the tree that had fruit removed was very impressive compared to the one that was allowed to fruit......its a drain on the tree to produce fruit....let the root system and canopy become larger ...so it can hold fruit in the future.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 04:45:32 PM »
20 full leaves per fruit, give or take depending on your condition. I'm assuming you want them to develop to the right size.
Not letting it fruit would be best, as others have recommended.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 09:56:01 PM »
Mango trees seem pretty good about dropping fruit if they can't handle it without any help. There's a good chance the tree will drop all on its own.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 10:51:09 PM »
2 years ago i grafted 2 scions of chocanan on my tree. Both flowered after 2months. I let one keep the fruits and the other one i removed the flowers.

The one who set fruit never grew after that. The one without fruit has 5 branches now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk