Author Topic: Understanding Jaboticaba botanical names  (Read 594 times)

beachybryan18

• Haiti, Sud, Fond-Des-Blanc 13A
    • View Profile
Understanding Jaboticaba botanical names
« on: January 09, 2020, 11:33:28 AM »
Can someone help me understand the confusing systems Jaboticabas are labeled with. I understand that when it comes to common names there's sometimes confusions coming from language barriers. However that's not usually the case with most fruits when it comes to botanical names, but it is a problem with Jaboticabas. WHY?  Why do I see the same tree labeled, Plinia jaboticba / Plinia cauliflora / Myciaria jaboticaba or Myciaria cauliflora? The biggest thing to me is how Myciaria and Plinia seem to be interchangeable, I believe the actual Genus is "Plinia" Why are people using Myciaria? I understand there are synonyms and I know allot of plants have at least a few, but why cant everyone just label the trees with their Latin Binomial name? It would be much less confusing in my opinion!
Can someone explain this?

BR

• SWFL
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding Jaboticaba botanical names
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 06:43:53 PM »
Oh boy, this ones a doozy...

My understanding is there is no real logic to the various botanical names, but the most correct one is plinia jaboticaba . I believe this is the botanical name used in Frutas no Brasil.

HOWEVER, I almost never see that name used in nurseries. Most common around me seems to be myrciaria cauliflora and myrciaria jaboticaba

I'm curious to hear from the experts on this one.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding Jaboticaba botanical names
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 07:35:19 PM »
Search out the jabotiholics anonymous thread.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk