Author Topic: MIni Yard Update (OK, maybe not so mini anymore)........1/19/2013 & 1/26/2013  (Read 25594 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: MIni Yard Update........1/19/2013
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2013, 06:35:46 AM »
Do you think the mango season will be earlier than usual this year?

It certainly looks that way.  My first mango is going to be Rosiegold.  I have one fruit sizing up from the second blooming this season.  If I had some fruit set from the first blooming, I'd be eating mangoes now.  The rest of the mango schedules seem all early and somewhat screwed up, actually.  There are some late that will be early and some early that will be later.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
Harry - is the winter time still a nesting ground for those Orb Spiders?  I know your lychees and canistel were food suppliers for the weevils but just curious, have you ever seen the weevils captured in their webs?

The spiders come and go with the winds, it seems. It doesn't seem that they have any real season.  I have seen weevils in their webs but rarely.  I don't think weevils are their prey of choice.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
Harry, how has the production / flowering on your Dot been this year? The panicles on the ones I have in pots seem like anthracnose magnets. Excellent tasting mango, but will it stand up to the lazy-man's approach to gardening??

Good question.  I have two trees and I haven't paid close enough attention.  Will check it out and report back. As far as it being a good choice for the lazy gardener....the answer is probably no if you want substantial, anthracnose free production.  But the mango is so good, even a lazy gardener will relish the fruits he or she does get to maturity.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: MIni Yard Update........1/19/2013
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »
HAHAHAHAH OK Thanks, Harry.

Harry (and the others who've tried the angie), what is the level of acidity in the angie? Is it more of a 'sweet' mango or a sweet and tart mango?

Very tough to give an accurate description from memory.  Angie is complex in flavor in my recollection.  So for me that means a blend of sweet and some tart with some other flavors blended all together.  It is not purely sweet like okrung. However, I think it would pass the "Elsy" test.
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
hehe no doubt. It sure is one heck of a great tasting mango.

Let us know when you get a chance to inspect your Dots.

Thanks

Harry, how has the production / flowering on your Dot been this year? The panicles on the ones I have in pots seem like anthracnose magnets. Excellent tasting mango, but will it stand up to the lazy-man's approach to gardening??

Good question.  I have two trees and I haven't paid close enough attention.  Will check it out and report back. As far as it being a good choice for the lazy gardener....the answer is probably no if you want substantial, anthracnose free production.  But the mango is so good, even a lazy gardener will relish the fruits he or she does get to maturity.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
If I ever buy a home with a large lot like Harry's, I would plant the Dot away from the other trees where it's fully exposed to wind and not let the canopy get too dense to the point that it decreases cross-ventilation. I think that might decrease the chance of fungal problems that Dots are known for. I'm not an expert, so I'm not 100 percent sure.
Alexi

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile

Thanks

I guess there was a reason I hadn't noticed much going on with Dot this year.  Closer inspection reveled limited blooming and very light fruit set on both of my trees.  I do see some anthracnose on some of the fruit that have formed.  Its not going to be much of a Dot year this year.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
Ahh OK. Thanks for the update.

Going on the recommendation of Sargeant Zands, I'm going to try to use phyto-fos on my Dot. There seems to be some evidence that it acts as a fungicide. Maybe it will copper a run for its money!

I guess there was a reason I hadn't noticed much going on with Dot this year.  Closer inspection reveled limited blooming and very light fruit set on both of my trees.  I do see some anthracnose on some of the fruit that have formed.  Its not going to be much of a Dot year this year.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
It rained a lot in my area, Martin County, while the little Dot was in bloom.  I paid a lot of attention, maybe too much, but compared to the rest of my trees that were in in bloom at the time, the Dot looked like some of the "science protects" that used to grow in my college refrigerator.  The fungus was among us!  I chased the anthracnose all over the panicles with copper and plant doctor, small applications using spray bottles. 

Out of about 10 to 12 panicles that bloomed, I have three left. No idea if it will hold until harvest, but I'll give it a shot. 

This tree is by far my highest maintenance tree thus far.  Had I not tasted a Dot mango last year, I probably would have replaced this tree, but I think the fruit is that good.

Thanks

JC

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
Hey Rob (bsbullie),

How is the beautiful Excalibur Dot? Is she holding fruit yet?  I haven't been able to get there recently, too busy and my back is all jacked up. Maybe this Saturday, depends on the back...
JC

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Hey Rob (bsbullie),

How is the beautiful Excalibur Dot? Is she holding fruit yet?  I haven't been able to get there recently, too busy and my back is all jacked up. Maybe this Saturday, depends on the back...
Last time I checked it was holding an average number of fruit for that tree....it has never been a super heavy bearer most likely due to its issues with anthracnose and powdery mildew.  I will try and provide an update.

Hope you are feeling better...see you Saturday if you are up to it.
- Rob