Author Topic: Avocado that does well in a large container in South FL?  (Read 3272 times)

scashaggy

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
Avocado that does well in a large container in South FL?
« on: October 18, 2020, 07:54:53 AM »
I'm looking to get an avocado but want to container grow it.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado that does well in a large container in South FL?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 08:53:48 AM »
I found a list of avocados that grow in South/Central Florida if that helps refine your list.

https://www.flgardening.com/growing-avocados-in-florida/

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 09:09:18 AM »
If you're worried I gave wrong information then you write your own advice?

Why don't you stop posting information/misinfornation you have absolutely ZERO knowledge on.

People are also tired if seeing your, "thats nice," "sorry, I don't know" and "thats cool" responses.  They mean nothing, add nothing, a clutter up people's posts who are actually posting for specific reasons.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 09:17:24 AM »
To get back to the topic, the list of what can be grown in pots beyond the short term is small.  You can try any variety to begin with but to keep it in a pot for an extended timeframe, you options are extremely limited. You will eventually need to got to pits in the 100-500 gal size and then moving and root pruning will require expertise and a bobcat.

Bacon is probably the smallest variety but not very good in quality.  Next would be Florida Hass but it has its own issues, especially with uneven ripening.  Day, Wurtz and Lula are choices but with those, they will eventual outgrow the pots (and need to be in larger pots as described above).
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 09:44:24 AM »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:33:08 AM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:32:37 AM by johnb51 »
John

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 11:32:41 AM »
Bacon is a small variety? 
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 12:57:14 PM »

Here in Florida it is more compact and smaller.

Just like Wurtz is the opposite here. It can reach over 20 feet with a spreading growth habit.
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 02:04:13 PM »
mm. if you truly mean well, then please listen.

no one wants to fight with you.

when people ask questions on this forum, they are not looking for google links. they are looking for information and advice from knowledgeable growers. that usually does not include you and i.

many of us receive updates from this site and specific threads, and are curious to read new posts. if new posts do not add anything to the conversation, it is annoying. most people will not post or speak up about this, for a variety of reasons.

i like your mango diary thread. you are doing something few are in the uk, and have an appreciation for tropical fruit. we share that love.

let's find some balance here. we can all learn from each other

...as for avocados in containers, i do not know much, and am curious to hear what other have to say. florida haas sounds like a good choice, despite issues, as container cados aren't easy to find. another way of looking at it is short term. grow a good cado in successively bigger pots till it is too big, then put another, young cado in its place
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:09:12 PM by roblack »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 02:17:37 PM »
"Blessed are the peacemakers..."  Thanks for trying to explain to her, roblack.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 02:46:23 PM »
I keep hoping someone will tell me I'm wrong about this variety.This Utuado is 5 years old. It did produce some fruit on the third year but it got transplanted into the butterfly garden and hasn't produced since. It's 3 ft tall so I don't think you would have to worry about it out growing a pot and not much chance of getting foundered on the fruit

John you wouldn't happen to know what the first step of the 12-step program for Forum addiction is I think I may need help. Lol

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 03:03:39 PM »
At least you're funny, Monty.
John

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 03:42:48 PM »

Just like Wurtz is the opposite here. It can reach over 20 feet with a spreading growth habit.

Wurtz gets huge here too.  Most "dwarf" avocado trees just set a ton of fruit and stunt themselves.  But if the fruit is thinned or completely removed and the trees are allowed to grow they get big. 

That sounds really strange about Bacon, its a huge tree.

I think avocados arent good container trees and it should just be avoided as you really dont see many fruiting avocados in pot.  Im sure theres a few but if people want a good avocado crop, the trees need to get some size.  Plus thry tend to be difficult to keep really happy in a pot. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:45:21 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 03:44:52 PM »

Wurtz gets huge here too.  Most "dwarf" avocado trees just set a tin of fruit and stunt themselves.  But if the fruit is thinned or completely removed and the trees are allowed to grow they get big. 

I think avocados arent good container trees and it should just be avoided as you really dont see many fruiting avocados in pot.  Im sure theres a few but if people want a good avocado crop, the trees need to get some size.  Plus thry tend to be difficult to keep really happy in a pot.

I do agree that they are not a good candidate for pots, especially in a location of prime climate for avocados.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 03:46:35 PM »
yes :) but the point I was trying to make, is that if I found the cure to mortality he  would still  made an issue with it(about me)..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF-Rl5acQdA
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »
yes :) but the point I was trying to make, is that if I found the cure to mortality he  would still  made an issue with it(about me)..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF-Rl5acQdA
woohoo oh thanks I feel so much better now.Lol
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 04:11:04 PM »

Wurtz gets huge here too.  Most "dwarf" avocado trees just set a ton of fruit and stunt themselves.  But if the fruit is thinned or completely removed and the trees are allowed to grow they get big. 

Extracting from what you're saying and in hindsight I feel maybe I did stunts that Utuado tree. I should have thinned sooner and not let it carry that one fruit but Temptation got the best of me wanting to taste test it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:14:39 PM by bovine421 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 07:55:19 PM »
If you're worried I gave wrong information then you write your own advice?

Why don't you stop posting information/misinfornation you have absolutely ZERO knowledge on.

People are also tired if seeing your, "thats nice," "sorry, I don't know" and "thats cool" responses.  They mean nothing, add nothing, a clutter up people's posts who are actually posting for specific reasons.

If people tired of me can put on ignore list. Comments form a part of discussion.

You do realize this forum does NOT haven an ignore feature?  You obviously have been at this on other blogs that do...
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2020, 12:06:01 AM »
No I did not realize that because so many of my post have been ignored. Probably with good reason. The textual silence can be quite deafening. Nevertheless I appreciate this forum I have gained so much useful information to help me properly take care of my trees :)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »
I don't understand the reason why anyone would plan to grow a fruiting tree like avocado in a pot. To me that is like keeping a dog in a small kennel, or chained up. These trees strive to have a good life and keeping them in a pot means they can't reach their potential and are forced to remain completely dependent on the owner with very little margin for error.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2020, 10:59:40 AM »
I don't understand the reason why anyone would plan to grow a fruiting tree like avocado in a pot. To me that is like keeping a dog in a small kennel, or chained up. These trees strive to have a good life and keeping them in a pot means they can't reach their potential and are forced to remain completely dependent on the owner with very little margin for error.
Very true.  A tree that would normally grow to 20 feet or more with roots extending beyond 10 feet is not a small ornamental plant.  A little philosophical perhaps, but every life form seeks to realize its full potential.  I don't know how much trees can feel our affection and appreciation, but my trees always seemed to respond with robust growth.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 11:07:09 AM by johnb51 »
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
Getting back on topic on container avocados.
You can get them to grow well in containers even to fruit and hold a couple of fruits but seems that after year 3 or so. Is very hard to keep them healthy and producing.  I volunteer at UF Tropical Research Station doing exactly that,  maintaining avocado trees in containers for experiments. After 3-4 years is very hard to keep them nice and healthy.  If you keep up potting you can may be get to 15 gal or 25 gal container and that can give you some extra time. But what is the point I have a hard time moving a 15 gal, a 25 gal out of the question.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2020, 12:56:10 PM »
So what varieties do best in such potted situations Carlos?

If someone does not have to room to plant in ground, and is open to passing along or chopping their tree and starting a new one every so often, and they REALLY love avocados and cannot get good ones locally, then this idea could make sense.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2020, 02:43:12 PM »
So what varieties do best in such potted situations Carlos?

If someone does not have to room to plant in ground, and is open to passing along or chopping their tree and starting a new one every so often, and they REALLY love avocados and cannot get good ones locally, then this idea could make sense.
Honestly I think none  But in your situation to do it for fun,  because it will be cheaper to order on line or buy in the store. I would buy a grafted 3 gal of your choice and plant in 7 or 15 gal with a good fast draining media and hope for the best. Make sure it gets sun.   
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County