Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620774 times)

SplorKeLZ

• mmmm Cherimoya
    • Seattle WA zone 9a, 13a mini greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1775 on: December 03, 2023, 03:58:59 PM »
Hello Forum! I amquite exited that i found this place where people love tropicla fruit and plants like me, I live in seattle so growing some of these fruits can be a challenge but i have a house that i can fill. some of my plants include:
-Jackfruit
-Carambola
-Syzgenium samerengense
-Dragon fruit
-Hass avocado
-Lychee
-Passiflora edulis
-Tamarind
-Green Caimito
-Purple Caimito
-Mamey sapote
-Canistel

I look forward to meeting all of you! ;D

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: December 03, 2023, 06:32:52 PM »
Hello Forum! I amquite exited that i found this place where people love tropicla fruit and plants like me, I live in seattle so growing some of these fruits can be a challenge but i have a house that i can fill. some of my plants include:
-Jackfruit
-Carambola
-Syzgenium samerengense
-Dragon fruit
-Hass avocado
-Lychee
-Passiflora edulis
-Tamarind
-Green Caimito
-Purple Caimito
-Mamey sapote
-Canistel

Welcome!

I just visited Seattle for the first time this year, nice place.  I ended up eating gallons of currants from the Pike Place market, and discovered Shishito peppers there which am now also finding locally.  The huge bay leaf tree in the community garden is really cool.

When you say "fill up a house" do you mean a greenhouse?  If so you should post pictures of your setup, there are a number of dedicated greenhouse growers like myself amidst the Florida and California outdoor guys. 

How long have you been growing these types?  I have been trying most of them on your list in my greenhouse for the past 3-5yrs...

- Jackfruit is easy but wants to get big.  My just started flowering after 5yrs and I have to prune it constantly. 
- carombola/starfruit fruits easily in a container.  I'm not fan of its fruit but it has very pretty flowers
- I have malay apple which is similar to wax jambu/samerengense, it is very healthy but supposed to be a looong time to fruit.  Not sure if I can let it get big enough
- Dragonfruit cactus is a tippy thorny monstrosity.. that I would totally grow out if I had more space.  It looks so cool but I ditched mine before it flowered as I was sick of it falling on me.
- Never tried growing avocado because the grocery store ones are already so good
- Lychee has been incredibly difficult to grow for me, not sure why.  I think they don't like my soil or water (that every other plant seems to like).
- Haven't tried growing passiflora, the gooey fruit pulp texture grosses me out, though the taste is really good
- Tamarind is easy and a very pretty tree, I grew mine from Indian store tamarind paste seeds.  Long way from fruiting though.
- Never tried growing caimitos.  I tried the fruit once and it was kinda bland so it never caught my attention
- My green sapotes keep dying, no sure why, I assume mamey is similar.  I am going to keep trying though as I really like mamey.
- Canistel has been a massive success for me, the tree is gorgeous and I love the fruit.  I have a Ross Sapote/canistel that just started flowering and I hear it is even better than normal canistels.

SplorKeLZ

• mmmm Cherimoya
    • Seattle WA zone 9a, 13a mini greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: December 03, 2023, 08:05:24 PM »
-Jackfruit
-Carambola
-Syzgenium samerengense
-Dragon fruit
-Hass avocado
-Lychee
-Passiflora edulis
-Tamarind
-Green Caimito
-Purple Caimito
-Mamey sapote
-Canistel

Welcome!

I just visited Seattle for the first time this year, nice place.  I ended up eating gallons of currants from the Pike Place market, and discovered Shishito peppers there which am now also finding locally.  The huge bay leaf tree in the community garden is really cool.

When you say "fill up a house" do you mean a greenhouse?  If so you should post pictures of your setup, there are a number of dedicated greenhouse growers like myself amidst the Florida and California outdoor guys. 

How long have you been growing these types?  I have been trying most of them on your list in my greenhouse for the past 3-5yrs...

- Jackfruit is easy but wants to get big.  My just started flowering after 5yrs and I have to prune it constantly. 
- carombola/starfruit fruits easily in a container.  I'm not fan of its fruit but it has very pretty flowers
- I have malay apple which is similar to wax jambu/samerengense, it is very healthy but supposed to be a looong time to fruit.  Not sure if I can let it get big enough
- Dragonfruit cactus is a tippy thorny monstrosity.. that I would totally grow out if I had more space.  It looks so cool but I ditched mine before it flowered as I was sick of it falling on me.
- Never tried growing avocado because the grocery store ones are already so good
- Lychee has been incredibly difficult to grow for me, not sure why.  I think they don't like my soil or water (that every other plant seems to like).
- Haven't tried growing passiflora, the gooey fruit pulp texture grosses me out, though the taste is really good
- Tamarind is easy and a very pretty tree, I grew mine from Indian store tamarind paste seeds.  Long way from fruiting though.
- Never tried growing caimitos.  I tried the fruit once and it was kinda bland so it never caught my attention
- My green sapotes keep dying, no sure why, I assume mamey is similar.  I am going to keep trying though as I really like mamey.
- Canistel has been a massive success for me, the tree is gorgeous and I love the fruit.  I have a Ross Sapote/canistel that just started flowering and I hear it is even better than normal canistels.

Most of them are around 1-3 months old, still in small containers, i dont have enough yard space for a greenhouse, so am planning on transplanting most of these into different rooms of my house each suited for a different heat/humidity i would show my steup exept my phone is dead at the time of writing this. i am planning on selling the Mamey at some point because i dont love the fruit and the requirments needed to fruit are particular and the fruit takes around a year to ripen on the tree.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: December 04, 2023, 10:11:37 AM »
Ah I haven't tried much indoor growing, I wish you good luck.  Some of the tropical plants I have moved indoors from outside died instantly, from dry air I assume, but others do great.  If you have humidity control I think you should have success.

Zoli Durian

• Costa Rica
    • View Profile
    • Vivero Durian
« Reply #1779 on: December 04, 2023, 02:53:53 PM »
Hi all
I'd like to Re-Introduce myself.
In the past I have been selling tropical seeds on this forum with the account "Zoli and Nimfa"

We moved on from our fruit explorer - traveller state to a 1 hectare fruit farm in Costa Rica that we enjoy immensely.
I got into grafting, most of the trees we planted are durian trees grafted by me.

To those interested I put some links below about our current projects.

we started a youtube channel to share our progress:
https://www.youtube.com/@FruitForest.CostaRica
-there are some grafting farming and planting videos already

we have our current nursery offerings listed on this website
http://www.viverodurian.com/sales
-we sell a wide variety of grafted durian trees

I develop an app (for now only iOS) to track my farm. This app is available on the app store and has a nice free part where you can track trees on your farm.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fruitforest-app-map-your-farm/id6464332739

DavidBYE

• USA, Florida, Jacksonville, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: December 29, 2023, 12:06:43 AM »
Hello! David here in 9a, tough growing tropical plants in North FL but can be done with some planning and care. Have a food forest which is a work in progress. Started an orchard in 2010 and have been adding plants every year. Always searching for new varieties to grow. Suggestions are welcomed.

handarius

• Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: January 01, 2024, 11:50:17 PM »
Hello,
I am from Indonesia (native of some exotic and rare tropical fruits)

KesarLover

• USA, California, Cupertino
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: January 07, 2024, 02:10:36 PM »
Hi All,

I currently reside in Cupertino, CA! I've joined to learn all there is to learn about kesar mangoes, and mangoes in general. My long-term goal is to grow mangoes somewhere suitable in California at a hobbyist scale  8)

JBRO

• Port St Lucie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: January 07, 2024, 10:41:01 PM »
Hi,

Recently bought a house in Port St Lucie, Florida (USA). Finally have a *little bit* of land. I have a lot of experience growing cacti and succulents but this will be my first foray into tropical fruit trees/vines.

Cheers,

JB

endemic2earth

• USA, Hawaiʻ#699#699#699i, Kalihiwai, 10b
    • View Profile
    • kauaifoodforest.org
« Reply #1784 on: January 11, 2024, 07:46:17 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm happy to be part of the tropical/subtropical fruit community. My name is Paul Massey and I have lived on the island of Kaua'i for 25 years, and have been studying and growing trees since the outset of my Hawaiian residence. I am a certified climbing arborist and co-manage the Kaua'i Food Forest, an eleven year old, 3 acre multistory agroforestry system on the windward side of Kaua'i. We grow many standard as well as rarer species/varieties of perennial fruits. Grateful for all the expertise of the members here!

http://www.kauaifoodforest.org

jacobrts

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: January 22, 2024, 02:36:33 PM »
Hi everyone.  I'm on the Big Island, south of Hilo (Zone 11a).
Joining to learn more from the community about caring for my plants and to buy/sell/trade rare plants.

utopiatreesfan#1

• Socal
    • View Profile
    • Utopia Trees
« Reply #1786 on: February 05, 2024, 01:40:55 AM »
Hi Everyone my name is Carlos. I am the owner of Utopia Trees based out in SoCal. I have a few trees planted in my backyard and some are Peach cobbler mango, sugarloaf mango, Mallika mango, Paterna, Cara Cara Orange, a 5 in 1 mandarin Tree and more! A customer told me about this website and tonight is my first time on it. Very cool how Tropical fruit growers have a kind of resource center to go to.

Lauta_hibrid

• Argentina, Buenos Aires, La Plata 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: February 06, 2024, 05:08:44 AM »
Hello everyone, I am Lautaro and I am from Argentina, I have always been interested in genetics and today I am developing a citrus improvement project, creating new varieties and making fruit hybrids.  I am also interested in bananas (Musa sp.) so just this year I started making hybrids with them.  Basically I know that everything exists because there was hybridization of species and varieties and thus the characteristics that we were saying appeared, so with that in consciousness we can create things again, as in the case of bananas, using Musa velutina as a parent we can create a new banana of pink color and with a mutation to make it seedless.  I have my TikTok and YouTube channel where I show and teach my crosses and collection.

redrock79

• Australia, Qld, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: February 28, 2024, 07:25:05 PM »

Hello everyone on the tropical fruit forum, my name is John and I live in subtropical SE Qld in Australia. I have come here to learn, to grow my knowledge as I grow my trees and hopeful avoid any major mistakes. I have a veggie garden, I grow gingers and caudex plants and I hate mowing and need  much more shade in my yard, so why not have some tasty fruit as well. I have a small yard but have managed to fit the following trees in:

Kampong White Sapote
Superb Black Sapote
Tahitian Black Sapote
Apollo Feijoa
Indian White Guava
Yellow Cherry Guava
Strawberry Cherry Guava
Florida Sweet Acerola
Aurea Canistel
Super Dwarf Cavendish Banana
Dwarf Red Dacca Banana

This community has a great amount of knowledge and while I learn now, hopefully I will in time be able to add to it and help others grow  :)

JP Samy

• South India
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: March 07, 2024, 11:49:54 AM »
Good day All..
I live in the tropics, South India to be specific.
I am starting my backyard/terrace gardening journey this year.
I have ample space in the ground but I cannot use it yet, hence I'm starting with what I can i.e, most of my plants are in grow bags.
I plan to plant them on the ground eventually.

I am a retired Engineer from Oil and Gas field, I'm still young though, so I can put in the work.
I am currently on the process of bringing back the  soil biology to live on a small patch of land, as an experiment and also I plan to grow some veggies there lol..
On my terrace I have small plants of Rambutan (cesar), Apple (hopefully Anna), Sapodilla, Custard apple, Surinam Cherry, Mulberry, grapes, passion fruit, carambola, Indian lemon, Mandarin Orange, passion fruit, white jamun, water apple and some veggies..
I am yet to plant Israel apricot (that's what the nursery said), Abiu and Mangosteen.
I'm also trying to learn the art of grafting on the side..

My soil mix includes cow manure, compost, local soil, coco and rice husks for aeration..

Pleasure to meet you all 🙏
I hope to learn a lot and cultivate some genuine friendship amidst you 😉

guavasmellsgood

• USA,PA,Lancaster,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: March 09, 2024, 11:00:53 PM »
Greetings! I'm Tee.
I have been gardening my 1/2 acre in Pennsylvania (zone 7a) for maybe 5 years now (seriously for 1yr).
I am looking for guidance to increase my yields.
I have made a LOT of mistakes and I'm still learning.
ALL of my trees are dwarf varieties.
Right now I have in the ground:
3 peach trees (elberta, redhaven)
1 nectarine
3 apple trees (pink lady, honeycrisp)
1 fig
1 goji berry
2 large raised beds (1 for veggies- lettuce,cabbage,tomato,bok choy,chard,asparagus,broccoli,cauliflower/1 for flowers- many)
1 small raised bed for herbs
This year I plan on doing a lot of growing in containers. I have:
1 valencia orange
2 navel oranges
1 celestial fig
1 beer's black fig
1 meyer lemon
1 sweetsop/custard apple
1 ice cream mango (which isn't doing so well)
1 nectarine
2 bonanza peach trees
2 Ruby Supreme guava (on order)
I love seeing things grow! Now I just have to keep up with all this.

Green dream 973

• French guyana
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: March 17, 2024, 05:07:17 PM »
Hi I'm Mos, passionated by plants since my teenage years I have been working to make it my main activity for some time now. Currently based in French Guiana, at the gateway to Amazon rainforest, I already had the opportunity to discover a treasure (Eugenia patricii near an abandonned village) and my goal is to build a diverse collection and share my discoveries with fellow enthusiasts like yourself. I plan to post regularly about new fruits and palm trees found in the markets and in the forest since I like to walk and search for plants out here even if here it requires more preparation than elsewhere due to garimperos , blood sucker insects and jaguars. If you need something DM me and maybe I'll be able to get my hands on it (palm tree or Amazon fruit tree)

To summarize, plants take up too much space in my life and that suits me well .

Good grow !
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 05:08:57 PM by Green dream 973 »

raregarden

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Rare Garden
« Reply #1792 on: March 22, 2024, 03:21:21 PM »
Hello Tropical Fruit Forum!

I'm Ryan.  My wife and I are small farmers in North Carolina.  We are also avid collectors of rare and unusual plants, as well as native species.
We are pursuing a nursery business this year as well, and currently participate in local markets.

We have grown many tropical species, including many from South America.  Naranjilla, jua acu, cocona are just to name a few.

This is a great forum and one of the best resources on the planet for information about tropical fruit. 

Thanks for all that you all do! 

CanarianParadise

• Canary Islands, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: March 22, 2024, 05:05:11 PM »
Hi everyone.  My name is Roberto.
 I've been reading this forum from the shadows for almost a year, I think it's time to enter and introduce myself.
 I live in the Canary Islands, Spain and I'm excited about everything related to tropical fruits, but especially eating them.
 Cultivation is also interesting to me.  But I am too useless as a cultivator.
 I am lucky to live in a place with a subtropical climate and this allows me to experiment with some varieties that cannot be grown in the rest of Europe.
 Every day I read the forum and I learn a lot from all the posts.  I hope I can help in some way, although from my deepest ignorance, there is little I will be able to do.

I send you greetings.  Have a nice day.

Pelagosdiver

• Belgium,Antwerp,Puurs-Sint-Amands,zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: March 25, 2024, 08:58:21 AM »
Hi everybody

My name is Stef.
I started collecting exotic plants and especially fruit trees many years ago. I’m interested in all really rare to get edible fruits.
As I live in Belgium, you maybe can imagine this can be a bit of a challenge.
There is a big greenhouse in the back of my garden which I keep frostfree in winter for those species that tolerate
 0 degrees Celsius temperatures.
The other ones I try to survive inhouse.
On my travels I’m always on the lookout for new fruits to try to germinate them at home.
Tonight we are leaving for a trip to Vietnam so there is a big change I will find some new housemates  ;)
In my collection are Hylocereus, litchi, longan, mangosteen, some bananas, citrusses, eugenia’s, sizygium, kadsura, plinia, che, jackfruit, salak, pawpaw and many more.
This forum seems like a fabulous source of information and experience to me, so no doubt I will enjoy it a lot.
Kind regards,
Stef