Author Topic: KP Mangoes from Australia keep finding new markets  (Read 4391 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
KP Mangoes from Australia keep finding new markets
« on: August 20, 2015, 05:54:18 PM »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-20/tesco-to-import-aussie-mangoes/6709774
Southeast Asia and Europe and I understand evn the US will soon be enjoying Australian mangoes on a routine basis.It will be dominated by KPs of course as they are in greatest demand.Japan pays top dollar for them at the moment.It will be interesting to see if some of turpsy and resinous varieties can compete.The US market could be interesting as it seems there is popular prejudice and misinformation about the quality of KP and it relatives.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: KP Mangoes from Australia keep finding new markets
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:02:51 PM »
http://www.industry.mangoes.net.au/resource-collection/2015/7/20/record-export-mango-announced
Even Inodnesia will have the chance to try a few proper mangoes.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 06:05:21 PM »
Can't wait!💩 😎
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 06:41:05 AM by jc »
JC

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 06:19:42 PM »
I am actually not pedalling them and some commercial types are alright like NDM,Okrung,keow sawoy, and a few others from SE Asia and KP relatives taste good.Being commercial doesnt make them bad tasting varieties but most commercial types are I suppose.The real trash are the TAs,kent,kiett,palmer,brooks and irwin with failed here as commercial and backyard varieties due to consumer criticism and dislike.They are not snobs and routinely eat NDM,caraboa and others that are plantation grown in vast numbers.Lemon zest and orange sherbert get the wraps and if good enough for enthusiasts should do alright commercially if they are productive and disease resistant.

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 09:44:53 PM »
Hey Mike, I've read that KP dosent fall under either the Indian or SE Asian types. Do you know what is different about it?

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 10:24:22 PM »
... SoCal mango snobs/connoisseurs on this forum don't eat commercial mangoes. Perhaps you should pedal your commercial mangoes elsewhere. 💩 😎

The dude is not talking on behalf of So Cal people!!!
Thera

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 04:12:49 AM »
They are a polyembryonic that arrived in a town called Bowen in the 1880s I think,from  India.Similar mangoes could not be found in India and they almost became a religion (sorry moderators) in Queensland after that.Mangoes from all over the world were brought to Queensland since and have always been inferior by the public and commercial growers.They became the standard that all other varieties were judged against.They are as entrenched in the psyche still as the highest form of quality mango.The other 100 or so varieties here  combined don't equal the volume of KPS aka Bowens that are produced in yards,parks and all manner of land as well as on farms.
Being a seasoned mango eater I am not claiming them as the best as there are many great mangoes.I have tried many varieties also that are held in high regard by some that I have found disapointing or even intensely average.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 06:13:07 AM »
Hope some KP's get sent to Fairchild mango festival and other Florida mango festivals. Would be interesting to see how they stack up against all the other mangoes.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 08:01:48 AM »
Hope some KP's get sent to Fairchild mango festival and other Florida mango festivals. Would be interesting to see how they stack up against all the other mangoes.

Do you mean the Australian grown KPs?  If so, they are going to have to visit that hot water treatment making them truly delish.  Otherwise,  Florida grown KPs can be found st the festival (s).
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 05:28:08 PM »

Do you mean the Australian grown KPs?  If so, they are going to have to visit that hot water treatment making them truly delish.  Otherwise,  Florida grown KPs can be found st the festival (s).
Yes exported Australian KP mangoes. That is what this thread is about. Don't think that the KP you have in Florida or the KP we have in Hawaii is identical to what is now being grown in Australia. We've hashed this all out before. But you're right about post harvest treatment, and also very early picking, required for long distance shipping is going to negatively affect the taste.
Oscar

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »
This SoCal Mango snob is eating, right now, some RALPH'S Mexican Kents which
somehow survived their hot water treatment and turned out.....dare I say it....
Quite DELICIOUS!!!! Fiberless, juicy, some complexity, sweet....I dont' know, they're
as good as my homegrown ones this year....

But that is not the norm, for sure, with store bought.....

I'd love to taste a Kensington Pride some day.....I only know the "other" Pride (V)

Gary

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 06:49:58 PM »
Just because a variety has been chosen by some farmers to use commercially does not automatically make them a bad variety.   Edward is grown commercially in South America, I doubt many would consider that a bad variety.

I think the only way to truly know for sure what a KP taste like in Australia, would be to eat one there at its prime.   As with Florida grown Alphonso which has been reported to taste different than those in India,  the same could be said of KP.   I have yet to try one grown anywhere,  maybe someday soon I will get the chance.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 07:55:09 PM »
A few people said in earlier threads that there is some sort of group delusion/taste bud hallucination as they have tried them in their own area and thought they were nothing special.The R2E2 exported from Australia are an embarrassment and other than size and a flash of red they have few redeeming qualities.It is a pity the KP picked for export are rock hard.You could crack walnuts with them.I am sure this influences the edible qualities. Calypso is another that is exported and I keep reducing my opinion of this variety.It may be brightly coloured but it is a strange combination of vry firm but spongy.It is rather like mango favoured cheese.
I find when I go around my neighbourhood picking park and roadside mangoes they are better than anything I can buy.

DaveT

• Australia,QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 06:12:50 AM »
I know Mike T is having a gentle troll here but what he says is pretty true. KP does have an iron grip on the Australian psyche. I think the breeders are going in the wrong direction by crossing in the Florida varieties. These varieties have a lot of great characteristics, colour, size, firm flesh but the flavour just doesn't get accepted. I know not all of them have that turpy taste but the early introductions appear to have queered the field. KP has strong Indian influence in it's flavour even though it is poly embryonic, and this is the direction the breeding should be going to intensify this aspect.
He is also right about those mangoes from the parks and beside the road, by the time the real mango season arrives you have already eaten yourself silly. It is a real education to go on an expedition with an Asian as the season develops. You end up with the full analysis of all the uses of the green mango. Not only that just about every park has a jak fruit tree or three. In the future I am sure we will see some durian and langsaat trees making and appearance.