Author Topic: new growth flushes turning yellow/white  (Read 4541 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: new growth flushes turning yellow/white
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 10:49:14 AM »
I have used spinosad for leaf miner.  Its standard treatment on citrus for leaf miners.  The bottles says it kills mites on contact. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 10:51:31 AM »
"Spinosad products can be used directly to kill spider mites on contact, but can also be used when watering plants to systemically kill spider mites via the roots."

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 10:56:33 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 11:33:09 AM »
Thanks, I just ordered a bottle. 

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 02:21:10 PM »
So that damage might have been sunburn after all, or a mix of spider mite damage and sunburn.  After a nice hot day yesterday I noticed a few of my trees had obvious sunburn damage, even ones that have had no spider mites.  Luckily the last of my fogger parts arrived today so I can set this up before everything cooks.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2019, 09:13:28 PM »
I tried the predator mites again after the spider mites came back even after a couple spinosid sprays.  This time instead of placing the mites around the base of the tree as the instructions said I spinkled them all over the leaves of the affected trees.  This was about two weeks ago and I haven't noticed any new spider mite webs.  I think it is working.

jbclem

• USA, California, Topanga, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2019, 12:36:39 AM »
I've been dealing with spider mites on vegetable plants for years, fortunately not yet on my citrus.  But you guys seem to be guessing about the spider mites and the effect of the various treatments.  By the time you see webbing, you usually have a huge population of spider mites and their eggs.  By the time the leaves are all stippled, you have many many spider mites.

Here's an easy way to know exactly if you have spider mites and how many are left after you've soaked yourself trying to wash them off the trees (where do they go when they are washed off, and are the eggs also washed off?):

Try a hand held microscope, somewhere between 10x and 20x.  Here are links to the two kinds I've been using for about 5 years.  They work really well.  The first one isn't anywhere near the advertised 60x, but it gets you close enough to count the eggs, see the really young spider mites, watch them all wiggling their feelers/whiskers/front legs as they suck the life out of the plant.  The second one is a little less powerful than the first, but has a larger field of view and is better made.

https://www.amazon.com/Grow-Room-Microscope-Handheld-Magnifier/dp/B01D96ERFU/ref=sr_1_10?crid=33BCDG8EL033Z&keywords=hand+held+microscope+with+light&qid=1569298048&s=gateway&sprefix=hand+held+microscope%2Caps%2C536&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015VGEBS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Myself,  I don't use pesticides, so I'm stuck with Safer Soap which kills them dead but you have to be very persistent since the eggs will keep hatching if you don't come back every 3 or 4 days.  I'm also experimenting with a handheld vacuum cleaner, trying to find a way to do it without damaging the leaves. Citrus leaves are much tougher than vegetable leaves, so vacuuming might be easier to use on Citrus.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »
Turns out I already have a microscope... though it is intended for slides it works fine if I hold a light source above the sample.

I see a bunch of mite corpses, and a couple live mites.  The live ones seem to be investigating the corpses, maybe this is a predator mite.

It's tough to hold my phone camera steady in front of the eye piece... it is much clearer seeing it in person.