Author Topic: Offering orange seeds to FL members  (Read 1971 times)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Offering orange seeds to FL members
« on: February 09, 2019, 08:35:38 PM »
Have seeds from two different orange trees. My boss has trees on his land that have been growing there since about 120-130 years ago. Not necessarily the same trees but successive generations planted by seeds. His parents planted the originals in the very early 1900s. He's an old guy himself. He claims they come up more or less true from seed and are sweet and good. Said they are Valencia but I can tell there are two distinct types. First time I went to pick some today. Definitely aren't any graft marks on the oldest trees and there really is many from different generations. They are really good that is for sure. Sweet and juice worthy without sweetening. After seeing them in person I do believe him. Kumquats too from seed and are good as well as and a white grapefruit. He says they do take a long time to produce but they always turn out good just the same.

One type is a thinner skinned one and one is thicker skinned. Wanted to offer them since I juiced a ton and want not to toss all the seeds since I can see they really do end up good from seeds. If you pay shipping I'll send some to FL members. Definitely willing to trade for stuff too. I'm particularly looking for cold hardy edible nuts, fruits, perennial veggies and herbs, or annual heirloom veggies or herbs.

Thanks! DG
Trying to grow it all!

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
Re: Offering orange seeds to FL members
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 10:04:47 PM »
Citrus seeds should generally be kept moist. Some say otherwise, but the research is out there. I would like to take you up on your offer, sounds good. Thanks!

Go Florida... Bring back Florida oranges
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:13:22 PM by MameyDisco »
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

efletche

• Edgewater, Fl Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:03:37 AM »
I wouldn't mind trying them.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 10:40:27 AM »
I'd love to try them as in indoor plant.  Outdoor citrus trees get HLB pretty much immediately in my area.

Regards,
Scott

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 07:36:47 PM »
Hit me up via PM to settle details and such. Will send them out Friday most likely so would like to gather up all interested parties by then.
Trying to grow it all!

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 08:00:08 AM »
I am really interested in your offer.  I have some  perennial vegetables for trade like, tree collards, longevity spinach available now.  I also have some improved Apios americana, Yacon that hopefully will be ready to divide near the end of the year.

efletche

• Edgewater, Fl Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 11:13:59 AM »
Seeds arrived yesterday. Thanks.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 08:39:33 AM »
I'm gonna go this weekend to pick more of these oranges and kumquat. I'm gonna pick some of the white grapefruit too this time. Good sweet ones that taste like red grapefruit. Also my boss was saying there's another kumquat type growing on the back corner of one of his properties I didn't see last time. Round ones that are sweet inside and sweet skinned. The ones I picked last time were oval and sweet skinned but tartish on the inside. If you want any seeds hit me up over this next week or so.
Trying to grow it all!

efletche

• Edgewater, Fl Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 03:25:46 PM »
The seeds you sent me have started sprouting already. Now, I have no more pots to put them in!! It's always something, isn't it?!