Author Topic: Best P fertiliser  (Read 3681 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Best P fertiliser
« on: June 07, 2019, 10:01:56 PM »
In my city we have legends about a bearded vulture that was living in the city and was soo friendly that people could pet him like a stray dog.When it died shot by a german soldier that got skared by the vulture ,houndreds of kids and people took the vulture and they got to burry him in the most expensive cemetary.2 books were written about this bird,one brand of beer was named ,,Vultur,, and one pub named after him,Vulturul Ilie.
Now to the subject,these vultures eat only bones and theire the only birds in the world that do this.Since they dont eat flesh they are peacefull and make great pets.They let the crows and otther birds to eat the flesh and then they go only for the dry bones wich they take into the air and drop them on stones from above if the bones are too big to swallow.Altough its the most peacefull possible raptor bird it did killed a human in recorded history.A bearded vulture killed Aeschillus,the father of the greek tragedy ,when the vulture dropped a dead tortoise in Aeschillus head ,because aeschillus was bald and the vulture thoght his bald head was a stone.So i immagined that this vulture poo should contain lots of Phosphorus because the bones are made of calcium Phosphate.
This vulture specie is now extinct in my country or close to be extinct and in fact Vulturul Ilie was the last one left and didnt find a pair to mate  wich led him to live in the city among the people that wiped out its specie because somme politician said to shot them all for a wrong reason.But instead of vulture poo thats high in P im thinking to fed bones to my dog and colect the white droppings wich should make a verry high in P fertiliser.I have only a few trees that need P fertiliser and a little goes a long way.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Best P fertiliser
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 08:42:05 AM »
After i fed bones to my dog i finally got a little of the P fertiliser ;D.Ive also made somme calculations( by volume ,not scientific by molar mass ,but i think the fertilisers NPK ratios are calculated by volume for farmers not for scientists) and this type of white dog poo its probably 1-20-1 NPK.N might vary between probably 0 and 5 ,having more N if the ,,dog manure,, its more brown than white.I think its the best P fertiliser because its part fast soluble,part low soluble that might last a few years and provide P long term.The alternatives ,crushed ,calcinated bones 0-20-0 ,are verry low soluble and Guano ( fossilised bat poo) is fast soluble altough this might have more P , like 0-30-0 .

A note for beginners.Even thogh these look like regular calcium stone ,dead corals or seashells rock,these are bones and are calcium phosphate .The calcium rocks are made of calcium carbonate therefore they are not good as a phosphorus fertiliser because they usually,99 percent of the cases ,dont contain any phosphate.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:05:32 AM by SeaWalnut »

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 05:54:53 PM »
you should start breeding that bone vulture

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 10:08:13 PM »
you should start breeding that bone vulture
Its oficially extinct in my country but a vulture released by the french ( they got them from slovakia )came here all the way from France and still travels between Romania-Hungary- Ukraine.Its the only bearded vulture that likes to travel such long distances.
While i cant do much to save the specie ,i  presented him here because i got inspiration to make a good phosphoruus fertiliser.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 07:12:03 PM »
Great read about phosphorus and iron oxides and i like that it ends humble= we can only speculate / the more you know ,the more you realise how little you know. http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1413-70542016000400369

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 06:05:17 PM »
Thanks @SeaWalnt for sharing somuch pictures of your Chermioya seedlings. For me your seedlings how a little bit more hairs han my seedling the potential hybrid. But I can well imagine that there are scatters among cherimoya plants as far as hair formation is concerned. There are also differences in the shape of the leaves: I myself have two different types, one with a rounded leaf end and one with a pointed leaf end. Tomorrow in daylight I will compare your photo with my local plants and post one or two macro shots of the leaf hair and the leaf tip.
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 11:22:26 PM »
Pollution caused by phosphorus acumulated in the water of the Lake Erie in N America.
The Nitrogen being a gas ,leaves the water and goes into the atmosphere but phosphorus is a solid wich doesnt leave the lake.
The algae are verry good at taking the Nitrogen from the air and putting it in the lake if they have phosphorus.
Basically increasing level of phosphorus is drawing nitrogen from the air each year until the algae dies off in autumn and kills everything that breathes oxigen in that lake.
In order to stop this eutrophication the phosphorus needs to be locked by bonding it to calcium = calcium phosphate( bones).
There is the silver carp ( most hated chinese carp) wich its a filter feeder that eats planctonic algae and has big bone to weight ratio.
This carp is the only solution to fix this lake but unfortunatedly ,north american people dont have a ,,carp coulture,, to know this fish and respect it for its enviromental protection role .
This is an example of damage to the enviroment because of ignorance.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:24:04 PM by SeaWalnut »

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 07:25:53 AM »
Those carp are actually naturalized here. They don't taste very good...They follow the shorelines and eat the algae. D

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 01:03:58 AM »
Those carp are actually naturalized here. They don't taste very good...They follow the shorelines and eat the algae. D
They taste better than tilapia and are healthyer than rainbow trout farmed with cat food pellets in a bath tub.
In lake Erie there arent silver carps thats why its soo poluted.

Since i told the story of the bone eating vulture.I have to add that the name of the vulture ,,vulturul Ilie,, was my grandfather nickname because we share the same family name Ilie.
At the entrance of my city there is my grandfather jet plane installed in a roundabout and he was also bomber pilot not just fighter pilot.
I cant think of a bird better suited to represent bombers ,otther than the bearded vulture that actually killed a famous man for real ,Aeschillus,throwing a dead tortoise into its head.
The plane from the roundabout its an L39 trainer just like the ones from Breitling watch commercials( Breitling team).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:06:43 AM by SeaWalnut »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 08:26:41 AM »
Lake Erie was in far worse condition almost dead in the 1950's and phosphorus reduction began to bring it back. then invasisve Zebra and Quagga mussels came into the system.
The original food web was:
sunlight → phytoplankton → zooplankton → fish
the change was towards:
sunlight → phytoplankton → dreissenids → fish
Previous dominant phytoplankton algae was nitrogen fixing but has moved towards blooms of mycrocystis which doesn't fix nitrogen.
The molluscs filter water increasing light for photosynthesis and also graze hard surfaces opening up attachment points for filamentous mussels. However, the molluscs also excrete both nitrogen and phosphorus introducting new complexities into the system.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 05:05:07 PM »
That is a good looking vulture SeaWalnut. Here are some of my neighbors

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 05:11:04 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 06:30:12 PM »
Lake Erie was in far worse condition almost dead in the 1950's and phosphorus reduction began to bring it back. then invasisve Zebra and Quagga mussels came into the system.
The original food web was:
sunlight → phytoplankton → zooplankton → fish
the change was towards:
sunlight → phytoplankton → dreissenids → fish
Previous dominant phytoplankton algae was nitrogen fixing but has moved towards blooms of mycrocystis which doesn't fix nitrogen.
The molluscs filter water increasing light for photosynthesis and also graze hard surfaces opening up attachment points for filamentous mussels. However, the molluscs also excrete both nitrogen and phosphorus introducting new complexities into the system.
It looks like its was in worse conditions then ( when EPA and clean water act was established) because it had more animals ,fish that died.
Now it has a lot less fish in it and when it crashes each year doesnt seem too manny animals die .
But now a days it has 3 times more phosphorus acumulated in it and is counting .
Zebra mussels ? This lake is soo polutted that kills even its zebra mussels each autumn( mussels breathe oxygen and eutrophication suffocates them).
Zebra mussels invasion in this lake are of a least concern. And indeed they are not a phosphorus sink because their shells are calcium carbonate not calcium phosphate like the bones of the silver carp.
But still zebra mussels can help fight eutrophication if you add the black carp wich eats zebra mussels and stores the phosphorus into its bones.
Black carp its not that eco friendly as the silver carp because the black carps will eat native mussels and snails too and has a higher ecological impact.
Silver carp thogh eats only planctonic algae and has zero negative impact or verry cloose to zero.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 08:04:09 PM by SeaWalnut »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 06:33:29 PM »

Nice neighbors you have there.
The first one looks like the american eagle and second is a vulture.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 06:43:12 PM »

The Crested Caracara (Caracara cheriway) is a member of the falcon family despite its quite non falcon-like behavior and appearance. It occurs in Florida, Texas and Arizona and southward into the tropical areas of Central and South America. A similar species, the Southern Caracara (Caracara plancus) occurs all the way south to the Tierra del Fuego area of South America. The Crested Caracara will often feed on snakes, lizards, and other live prey, but it will readily feed on carrion as well. This species has often been referred to as "Mexican Eagle"
This is American Eagle

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:50:33 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 06:48:01 PM »

The Crested Caracara (Caracara cheriway) is a member of the falcon family despite its quite non falcon-like behavior and appearance. It occurs in Florida, Texas and Arizona and southward into the tropical areas of Central and South America. A similar species, the Southern Caracara (Caracara plancus) occurs all the way south to the Tierra del Fuego area of South America. The Crested Caracara will often feed on snakes, lizards, and other live prey, but it will readily feed on carrion as well. This species has often been referred to as "Mexican Eagle"
This is American Eagle

I got it.
Here is a picture with Vulturul Ilie wandering through the city like a stray dog.In my firstcomment i say we have ,,legends,, about this vulture but they are actually not legends,its was real .

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 09:53:07 AM »
I think that if we released more humans into lake Erie they would eat all of the algae blooms and phosphorous
 Humans have no impact on any ecology and are only good. Highly reccomend. Oh yeah, the phosphorous magically bonds to bones which is why that happens.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:55:32 AM by nattyfroootz »
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com