Author Topic: My tropical fruit plants  (Read 1603 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
My tropical fruit plants
« on: June 20, 2020, 03:20:14 PM »
Hello, just wanted to show how my tropicals are doing , and i'm going to post updates here of the happenings ......so here I go .....
This is my greenhouse where all the plants stay. 

Those are my seedling cherimoya's which are growing very well , I am hoping for flowers next year since they are getting pretty big ....

Yellow passion fruit seedling

Another ypf ,along with purple edulis passion fruit grafted onto passiflora caerulea rootstock - I have two of those grafted purple passion fruits which overwintered in my basement with no light at all  and at a somewhat steady  temp of  aroud 4C /40F , they were grafted by me past summer and I was kind of shocked they made it through winter.

Purple passion fruit seedling

Dragon fruit started from the bases of grafted moon cactus

Avocado seedling

Grafted pomelo citrus and a seedling pomelo

Tamarind seedlings

Pistachio seedlings

Loguat seedling

Papaya variety red lady

My big carambolla seedling, near 5 y/o

The 2nd carambola seedling, my coffee arabica and kumkuat seedlings, in the front I have more loguat seeds just bracking the soil surface

Lychee seedlings -this things just dont want to grow , may toss them in the near future

Guava seedling ,not sure which was the fruit variety, by online pics it is or is similar to apple guava

Passiflora ligularis seedlings

More guava seedling from a different tipe ,fruits were small and yellow

Surinam cherry ,bought from a nursery starting to flower , and here I have a guestion - do I have to hand polinate the flowers , cuz one opened and just fell tree days after, hope that is not the destiny of the remaining ones.

Unidentified passiflora, I know its either p.guadrangularis or p.alata ....and possibly a hybrid of those ,if anyone identifies it for me I would be gratefull  :)

And lastly those are my tamarillo plants ,which too overwintered in my basement, last fall I had five of them but didnt took them for cover at the right time, they saw temps of -5C /23f so the roots, leaves and stems froze, but those two managed to survive somehow

Any opinions and guestions about the plants are wellcomed !!!

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Re: My tropical fruit plants
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »
Nice collection!

Kevin Jones

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 04:52:50 PM »
Very nice.

Basement overwintering is an often unmentioned option.  Seems like a good alternative to messing with grow lights and indoor watering issues.

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 05:13:14 PM »
 :D
P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 11:59:11 PM »
Tnx for the replies  :) ,as for the basement overwintering, this is necessary for me since I have very limited space in the hause ,i dont use grow lights so have to put all the plants by two windows......winter here is a hard time for them...

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 04:40:08 AM »
Nice collection .
Those guavas look like tropical guava.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 11:38:47 AM »
Cool greenhouse, impressed with what you are doing there. Keep it up, and us posted!

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 03:45:31 PM »
Nice collection .
Those guavas look like tropical guava.
tnx ,they are tropical, I just dont know the varieties ,juess will find out when and if they fruit

Cool greenhouse, impressed with what you are doing there. Keep it up, and us posted!
tnx very much ,and yeah I will sure post updates  :)

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 02:32:40 PM »
Hi, Plantinyum. I m interested for Passiflora ligularis, and if possible Passiflora quadrangularis. Can you send some plants to Greece? Or, if you visit Greece, bring me two ligularis and (if you have) 2 P. quadrangularis.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 03:32:36 PM »
Hi, Plantinyum. I m interested for Passiflora ligularis, and if possible Passiflora quadrangularis. Can you send some plants to Greece? Or, if you visit Greece, bring me two ligularis and (if you have) 2 P. quadrangularis.
loll  ;D u made me laugh...I have only 2 ligularis ,and 1 guadrangularis/alata -still unindentified ....no spare plants by now, i'm sorry ....

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 03:43:10 PM »
i have never seen that big flower cluster on a surinam cherry and for some reason i am not 100% sure its surinam cherry. At least it doesnt look like mine. As for flower set do your plants have access to bees?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »
i have never seen that big flower cluster on a surinam cherry and for some reason i am not 100% sure its surinam cherry. At least it doesnt look like mine. As for flower set do your plants have access to bees?
yes they do ,the greenhause is open in the day ,but I haven't  seen any bees going in. The flowers have no noticeable smell, and are falling 2 days after opening, dunno whats the problem but I have so many buds and have time to figure it out  :).The plant is just LOADED with buds ,I too was curious for the size of the flower clusters, and as for the identity at the nursery the plants were named eugenia uniflora ... with no particular variety name.