Author Topic: Scarring on fruit  (Read 2114 times)

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
Scarring on fruit
« on: August 11, 2018, 10:36:03 PM »
I found this on one of my Okitsu Wase fruit today. This is the only fruit on the tree like this. None of my other trees have any like this either.

Any ideas?

TFN

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Scarring on fruit
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 12:03:42 PM »
TFN, the peel scaring on your fruit is caused by an insect called a thrip.  Thrips are a sucking insect, as they feed on the peel it takes away the chlorophyll.  Actually not much damage to the fruit.  Can be controlled by a routine HO spay.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 07:58:25 AM »
Thanks, Millet.

TFN

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 04:38:11 PM »
Hey, Millet. How often do you recommend spraying citrus with HO?  I feel like I need to spray every time a tree flushes to help with the leaf miners, but it seems like there are always some trees flushing, somewhere. I don't want to over do it.

TFN

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 10:52:47 PM »
I always spray new flushes.  This keeps the leaves from being all crinkled up from aphids and thrips feeding on them,  We do not have leaf miners in my location, so luckily I never ever have to worry about them.  I spray the new flush several times until the new leaves reach good size.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 07:34:14 AM »
Thanks, Millet, that's what I needed to know.  If I could bother you with one more question, when would be the latest that you would spay with LBU, temperature wise. I have read several times it helps with freeze protection also. It may only help a little, but every little bit helps. Does it promote flushing?  Well, that's more than one question.Lol

TFN

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 12:50:42 PM »
Once you can see the flushes it might be too late.  CLM start laying eggs when the leaflets are too small to notice without a very close up inspection. 

My issue with HO is it’s stays so hot down here it’s hard to find a window to spray.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »
TFN, concerning cold weather it is the other way around from what you wrote above. Spraying with horticultural oil in the fall puts plants at increased risk for winter damage and dieback.   After the new leaves have firmed up, leaf miners normally start to leave the leaves alone.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 05:34:49 PM »
Millet, I was referring to foliar spraying with  low biuret urea (LBU) for enhanced cold protection. I don't know how long an application last.

TFN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk