Author Topic: Missile Wax Apple - Dying?  (Read 1814 times)

camerony

• Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
Missile Wax Apple - Dying?
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »
Hi,

I bought this tree from http://chfruittreenursery.com about 3 weeks ago.  This is a 5 gallon tree that had the soil and root ball trimmed to the size of a tennis ball and was wrapped in newspaper (which I left on).   The tree has been under a clear plastic bag with a few small hole the entire time. I'm concerned that it has lost all of it leaves and not seeing any new growth.  Perhaps, I'm being impatient with it.  You can see from the pics where I did a scratch test which was still damp.

What do you guy think?  Should I be concerned?

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Missile Wax Apple - Dying?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »
Sounds like root shock to me when it was trimmed, it'll definitely defoliate due to lack of sufficient energy.
I recommend keeping it in shade with the vented bag to assist with humidity.

Due to plant shock, you will likely see a late flush this year.
Give it time, and it should recover.

The scratch test should be less aggressive though :)
Those wounds look very deep, enough to see bark.

camerony

• Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 12:20:11 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  I'll wait a few weeks and see if it recovers from the shock.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 02:03:39 AM »
If the plastic bag is on the tree, in this heat and sunny location, you can expect a dead tree very soon. Keep it shaded and well watered minus the bag (if the sun is expected to hit the tree at some point during the day). Good luck. Chris
-Chris

camerony

• Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 10:22:26 AM »
If the plastic bag is on the tree, in this heat and sunny location, you can expect a dead tree very soon. Keep it shaded and well watered minus the bag (if the sun is expected to hit the tree at some point during the day). Good luck. Chris

It's currently in a well shaded area under our oak tree (no direct sunlight) with the plastic bag which has a few small holes.    I contacted the seller, they suggested keeping the bag on and adding small hole at the top of the bag. 

Thanks for the advise.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:25:04 AM by camerony »

Reafs

• Guadeloupe, French Caribbean Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 02:32:06 PM »

It's currently in a well shaded area under our oak tree (no direct sunlight) with the plastic bag which has a few small holes.    I contacted the seller, they suggested keeping the bag on and adding small hole at the top of the bag. 

Thanks for the advise.

How is your tree now?
Yohann