Author Topic: Question about the base of the trunk of my mango tree...  (Read 2618 times)

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
Question about the base of the trunk of my mango tree...
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:24:47 PM »
I have a question about the base of my mango tree (Coconut Cream). At the base of the trunk there seems to be a couple of splitting areas. My other mango trees don't have this happening, just this one. Is it something to worry about or does this happen every now and then?

The other splitting is where the post is, but I couldn't get a clear picture of it, even when changing angles due to the post being in the way. The post is touching the other splitting area, should I detach the post and move it out a little bit?

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the base of the trunk of my mango tree...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 11:03:10 PM »
To me it looks as though it went through a dry spell, heavily watered and then split. That is common in phoenix with such dry weather. Regular applications of plant doctor (organicide) with some neem oil added should keep the area free of fungus and pests. After a season or two of growing it should become less noticeable.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 11:48:34 PM »
I'm no expert but when that happened to my tree, I cleaned out the dead wood and sealed it with plant sealer I got from the nursery. Try to keep water and moisture out of the wound.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:59:45 PM »
I'm no expert but when that happened to my tree, I cleaned out the dead wood and sealed it with plant sealer I got from the nursery. Try to keep water and moisture out of the wound.

Simon

No, do not seal it.  Mangoes are tough.  Let it heal on its own.  I dont think this will cause you any direct problems.
- Rob

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 01:56:56 AM »
That is just a flesh wound... ;D

I have some mean scars on my mangos from the pigs. They heal and scab over.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 02:06:35 AM »
I was told long ago that unless you paint/seal a cut instantly, then it can lock in harmful things as much as keep them out.  Not recommended, nor necessary.

What i find funny is after our flood season, lots of my fruit trees get splitting bark on trunks or branches.  Then later, this "self-scoring" seems to make those fruit a lot more than those without any sustained damage. 

I've always let them heal naturally, and had no issues.  Scars seem to dissipate after a few years.

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 12:23:19 PM »
What I have noticed is that with a potted mango tree, the rootstock grows wider than the grafted tree so - I only have one potted mango and it looks like your as well, with some cracks.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:43:01 PM »
I have a question about the base of my mango tree (Coconut Cream). At the base of the trunk there seems to be a couple of splitting areas. My other mango trees don't have this happening, just this one. Is it something to worry about or does this happen every now and then?

The other splitting is where the post is, but I couldn't get a clear picture of it, even when changing angles due to the post being in the way. The post is touching the other splitting area, should I detach the post and move it out a little bit?

What I see looks either like some incompatibility between root stock and graft or some hydration issue which caused the split.  Either way, the advice above about doing nothing is the correct advice in my opinion.  The wound looks mostly healed and will, in all likelihood, continue to be a non issue other than from a cosmetic stand point.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 09:35:11 PM »
That is just a flesh wound... ;D

I have some mean scars on my mangos from the pigs. They heal and scab over.

OK, you got my interest... ;) These pigs, are they your's or are they feral? I know there are wild boars in Florida and they are quite destructive to yards, seen a lot of them when I was in Fort Myers.

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:20 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll just let my Coconut Cream be and heal on its own! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk