Author Topic: Mandarinequat  (Read 3328 times)

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
Mandarinequat
« on: July 18, 2019, 08:36:01 PM »
Does anyone grow the Mandarinequat? It looks yummy. I would love to grow this one, if anyone has cuttings to sell.  It looks really large for a quat but I would not mind munching on some. Hee Hee!
My name is Cindy

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Mandarinequat
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 10:13:53 PM »
If it is anything like an orangequat, I would save space for another tree if you don't have room.  The Nippon Orangequat is a larger sour kumquat without a sweet peel.  I would only use it like a lemon.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 07:48:04 AM »
Indio mandrinquat. This is what to grow. Quality fruit and pretty cold hardy

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 10:33:24 AM »
I have every quat.  Indio mandarinquat is poor, and really nothing like a mandarin.  The skin is thin, dry, and not really sweet.  Inside is sour and has a slight bitter taste like Rangpur lime.   Nippon orangequat is like a bland sweet orange with no noticeable kumquat heritage.  It is large, with puffy skin that is not sweet but just bland

If you want something like mandarin-kumquat the closest you will find a regular old calomondin.  I eat them whole and when they are very ripe they are pretty decent... but still sour. 

If you want a tasty kumquat I highly recommend fukushu/changshou.  Marumi, meiwa, and seedless nagami are great too.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »
I have every quat.
Brian,do you know of any hybrid between kumquat and citron ( C.medica)?
Best regards,
                       Ilya

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »
I dont known of any citron hybrid but there is a lemonquat (sunquat)

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 01:35:30 PM »
sunquat is a mandarinquat--clementine-meiwa cross.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 04:18:29 PM »
Petr Broža had in collection hybrids from Italy.
C6 - kumquat x mandarin
C2 - kumquat x lemon

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 05:50:50 PM »
I winder why there are no kumquat X  citron hybrids?
With sweet albedo and low acid juice they should be tasty and more resistant than pure citrons.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 06:00:27 PM »
With sweet albedo and low acid juice they should be tasty and more resistant than pure citrons.
I agree, had the same thoughts.

Many people here may not realize this but the peel of citrons are much more tender, edible, and less bitter than lemons.
Citrons are better for many culinary uses than lemon.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 08:02:41 PM »
As far as I can tell nobody is breeding new kumquats in USA.  It seems there was an effort a while ago that resulted in all the -quat hybrids (other than nagami, meiwa, marumi, fukushu/changshou) but they gave up on it. I'm not impressed with any of the hybrids as far as taste goes, but I'm sure they are useful for people in zone 8+ looking for citrus that can survive outside.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 09:33:38 PM »
I think the quats are low on the priority list as far as crosses. People seem to want to experiment with the "new" stuff that is around now. The lowly quat has been passed by. Shame as the little sweet meiwa is a taste treat, cold hardy, easy to grow and easy to propagate. Is it because they are small? Does small mean insignificant?

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 02:42:00 AM »

Гибрид 5956 (F.margarita CV. Nagami x Citrus medica L.). Плоды по форме, окраске, текстуре плода и вкусу мякоти и сока соответствуют типу лимона обыкновенного (С.limon), средняя масса 60,2 г. Цветение и плодоношение слабые. По морозостойкости превосходит родительские формы. Он представляет интерес в качестве гибридного посредника в селекции лимона обыкновенного.
Гибрид 5959 (F.margarita cv. Nagami х C.medica L.). Плоды лимоноподобные, с соском и воротничковой оттяжкой у основания, тонкокорые, по величине сильно варьируют - от мелких до нормального размера для лимона обыкновенного. Средняя масса 42,7 г. Вкус сока и мякоти - лимонного типа, аромат - кинкана. Цветение ремонтантное. Семена отсутствуют.

http://agro-portal.su/citrusovye-kultury/2875-gibridy-podroda-fortunella-kokaja.html
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 02:43:43 AM by Radoslav »

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 12:55:50 PM »
I think the quats are low on the priority list as far as crosses. People seem to want to experiment with the "new" stuff that is around now. The lowly quat has been passed by. Shame as the little sweet meiwa is a taste treat, cold hardy, easy to grow and easy to propagate. Is it because they are small? Does small mean insignificant?
Too bad, I like the quats. My best marmalade was made with the Calamondine orange, which I think is a quat.
My name is Cindy

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 12:56:05 PM »
Radoslav,
I have been looking for these hybrids for several years, but it seems that they were lost after the collapse of the USSR.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:57:46 PM by Ilya11 »
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 03:15:04 AM »
Radoslav,
I have been looking for these hybrids for several years, but it seems that they were lost after the collapse of the USSR.

From what I know, the plants are most likely still there, but for example in Suchumi (Сухумской опытной станции), during the war for independence, people  and database disappeared. Now they are working hard to identify plants in their possesion.

Btw.: Цитрофортунелла x Гибрид 5956
https://herbarium.info/Двудольные%20(Dicotyledones)/Сапиндоцветные%20%28Sapindales%29/Рутовые%20%28Rutaceae%29/Цитрофортунелла%20x%20Гибрид%205956%20%28Fortunella%20margarita%20CV.%20Nagami%20x%20Citrus%20medica%29/index.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:21:31 AM by Radoslav »

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 04:14:44 AM »
Interesting, thank you. I shall contact an owner of this site to see where he took these photos.
Strangely, in the catalogue of citrus plants in Sotchi collection these hybrids are not listed.From what I know on the fate of Sukhumi institute, it disappeared completely.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:18:36 AM by Ilya11 »
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 05:13:04 AM »
No its not disappeared.
I am trying to get Азахикан с Тенгу hybrids http://agro-portal.su/citrusovye-kultury/2856-gibridy-sorta-s-paradisi-macf-greypfrut.html  from there via contact from Belarus with contacts in Suchumi.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 12:52:18 PM »
Interesting, thank you. I shall contact an owner of this site to see where he took these photos.
Strangely, in the catalogue of citrus plants in Sotchi collection these hybrids are not listed.From what I know on the fate of Sukhumi institute, it disappeared completely.

I remember one hybrid from CRA-Centro di Ricerca per l'Agrumicoltura e le Colture Mediterranee show of new ornamental cultivars in 2012. It is kumquat ovale x budhas hand.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 03:30:02 PM »
I agree with Brian 100%.  Actual kumquats are worth growing,  All (each and every one) hybrids such as sunquat mandarin quat and etc. are totally worthless.  At least in my opinion.  The ones I had have all been thrown out.