Author Topic: If I already have frost and Okitsu satsuam, should I take a Xie Shan Satsuma  (Read 1627 times)

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
 If I already have Frost and Okitsu satsuma, should I take a Xie Shan Satsuma tree or Miho Satsuma ?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Yes, and trade the Xie shan to me.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
Oolie,is Xie Shan that good?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Haven't tried it yet, but the people who post here have made me excited to try it. I've tried grafting it several times this year without success.

That and I already have a mid season and late season mandarin, an early would give me a good, full season.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
I just looked what new varieties of mandarins in Japan.  It looks now they produce some new ones.  one of the two best is called Hamuri, which is better than Sumo.  But it is not on CCPP's lists.  Hamuri is derived from Kiyomi tango which is on the list. Kiyomi tango is not ranked as high.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
At two of the yearly Citrus Expos that I attended they held a citrus tasting contest.  Xie Shan won both contest.  I have a Xie Shan tree for ten years now, and the fruit is amazing, easy peeling, and seedless.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
At two of the yearly Citrus Expos that I attended they held a citrus tasting contest.  Xie Shan won both contest.  I have a Xie Shan tree for ten years now, and the fruit is amazing, easy peeling, and seedless.
I can't wait for mine to start producing. My dekopon has 3 fruit this year and my miyagawa has 4 fruit holding this year and I'm looking forward to trying these out for the first time this winter.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Here's my feedback on the tastes of these fruits I grow (in best -> not so good):
1. Sumo - excellent
2. Ponkan- excellent
3. Gold Nugget -very good
4. Honey mandarin- very good
5. Kyomi - good
6. Miyagawa- good
7. Okitsu - good
8. Xie Shan - no fruit yet
9. Miho - no fruit yet

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
Here's my feedback on the tastes of these fruits I grow (in best -> not so good):
1. Sumo - excellent
2. Ponkan- excellent
3. Gold Nugget -very good
4. Honey mandarin- very good
5. Kyomi - good
6. Miyagawa- good
7. Okitsu - good
8. Xie Shan - no fruit yet
9. Miho - no fruit yet
what is the difference in taste between the ponkan and sumo ?

if you had to keep only one which would it be the sumo ?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
I have an in ground Ponkan tree.  Ponkan, a cross between a mandarin and a pummelo, is alternate bearing unless the fruit is 50 percent reduced during the on year.  Ponkan is among the largest sized fruit in the  mandarin family, about the size of an orange.  I agree the taste is excellent, the only draw back is the amount of seeds it has.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:41:00 PM by Millet »

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
I have an in ground Ponkan tree.  Ponkan, a cross between a mandarin and a pummelo, is alternate bearing unless the fruit is 50 percent reduced during the on year.  Ponkan is among the largest sized fruit in the  mandarin family, about the size of an orange.  I agree the taste is excellent, the only draw back is the amount of seeds it has.

Yes seeds for me are a deal breaker with Mandarins. So Sumo it is  :)

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
yes, too many seeds can be a small problem

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
yes, too many seeds can be a small problem

But if it has a great flavor it would make a great one for juicing.