Author Topic: Alphonsos in SoCal  (Read 5701 times)

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Alphonsos in SoCal
« on: August 26, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »
Is there anyone in SoCal that's had success growing Alphonsos. I have planted two trees with no success. If so, can you post some pics??? Thanx.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Alphonsos in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »
Is there anyone in SoCal that's had success growing Alphonsos. I have planted two trees with no success. If so, can you post some pics??? Thanx.

Yes. Gary had a few fruits last year, I have 8 this year which you will be sampling in a few weeks in our tasting. I can tell you this, it's a dirty tree! I had to spray it with copper during our rainy season for anthracnose and with sulfer in May for powdery mildew.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:50:54 PM »
J, I don't get any of those where I live. I have never seen it in any of my plants. Is it worth trying again???

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 12:07:19 AM »
J, I don't get any of those where I live. I have never seen it in any of my plants. Is it worth trying again???

In my opinion, NO. They are very hard to grow and not worth the effort.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »
Hi Senior Cubano - my Alphonso grows like crazy...BUT...no fruits this year!  (6 last year)  I've
added  all the micronutrients this summer and more pottassium and phosphorous and light nitrogen as well to see what will kick it in to production for next year - but it's a fast-growing real healthy tree.....here's a pic from it's April Flowering time.  It's put on at least a foot of growth since then:

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 04:44:47 PM »
Gary and J, thanx for the feedback. I think I will be using that space for something else.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 11:48:24 PM »
Gary and J, thanx for the feedback. I think I will be using that space for something else.

good decision 007....alfonso is not worth the hassel

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:04:01 AM »
I have an Alphonso that grows as fast as my Glenn here in San Diego.  I do not spray my Alphonso with any fungicides and I do not notice any health issues with it.  It was holding lots of marble sized mangoes which I removed since my mango trees grow so slowly.  At the rate my mango trees are growing, I will probably remove all fruit for the next two years so that my trees can gain some size before I finally let it hold fruit.  I hear some people mention it is a good idea to give Alphonso trees some extra Iron and rock dust.  The Alphonso mangoes I ordered from Mangozz.com were very good if you like that piney taste, which I do like.
Simon

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 02:15:06 PM »
yuck, simon, and it's that piney taste I'm hoping will go away with mine
in time!

:P

Perhaps I've planted the wrong tree..........and now it's TOO LATE!!!!!!!!
I think it's going to get big......luckily it is out near the sidewalk so perhaps
I won't be so mad at the future thieves - yeah, that's the bright side!

Gary

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 12:08:01 AM »
Wow, so many bombs flying all over the place about the 'Alphonso' mango/tree.

For so many years I had heard that it was the 'King of Fruits,' 'Legendary,' 'the King of Mangoes,' etc. The Europeans import it from India like there's no tomorrow. Most famous, and reputed to be the best tasting 'mango' in India. Well, it's finally here in the U.S.A. I've tasted it in a 'sorbet' ice cream form, at a major national chain supermarket, and it tasted like mango heaven.

And now, it's kind'a all the contrary. Anthracnose, low production, piney taste, mildew... I'm getting whiplash. Could it be that it'll prefer some part(s) of the U.S. over others? Like, maybe, Miami, South Florida, USA, Zone 10b, where I live?  ;)  Maybe that's it, with time, we may find out what part of the country, or Temperature Zone, it likes best. My 'Alphonso' mango tree is growing beautifully and it's picking up speed, after about four years of slow growth. It's now seven feet tall and I'm expecting it to flower next year. It's been raining almost everyday here, and it's loving it. I haven't heard in S. Florida, the horror stories that I'm now hearing from California. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope for the-best/(a-miracle?).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:01:51 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 03:44:29 PM »
I ate an central Florida grown Alphonso yesterday and it was really-really good.  I would say top ten in taste (if  you can have a top ten list).

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »
Central Floridave .....but did it have that "piney" taste?

:P

Gary

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 07:43:32 PM »
I ate an central Florida grown Alphonso yesterday and it was really-really good.  I would say top ten in taste (if  you can have a top ten list).

Alfonso is a good mango but I wouldn't consider it top 10..,,I let you know after my mango tasting

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 09:27:36 PM »
Central Floridave, thank you for the good news, I'll take it. Maybe someone in Central Florida is doing something right when it comes to growing the 'Alphonso' mango tree and fruit. Maybe that person(s) has figured out some technique that produces good tasting 'Alphonso' mangoes. And, maybe there's something else going on here, maybe the 'Alphonso' mango tree has chosen S. Florida as its-preferred (or one-of-its-preferred) growing location(s), other than India. According to the horror story experiences of growing 'Alphonso' in California, and the reports of growing 'Alphonso' in Florida, it seems that S. Florida may be better suited for growing 'Alphonsos,' thanks for this report.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk