Author Topic: Sending plants throughout the U.S.  (Read 1524 times)

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Sending plants throughout the U.S.
« on: January 17, 2020, 10:04:42 PM »
So, I soon want to start a YouTube channel about mainly watches but also a lot about my indoor tropical fruit growing experiences (and other plant-related experiences). I want to start a Patreon page at the same time, and I want one of the rewards to be that I send the patron some plants. I would most likely send things like cacao, passion fruit, dragonfruit, perhaps some autocarpus and lychee family fruit seedlings. No citrus for now. Can anyone tell me what the rules are about sending plants/do I need special permits? I know how to get seed permits, I have a USDA aphis account that allows me to get permits online, is the process for plant permits the same as for seeds? I live and would send out shipments from Virginia, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Tomek

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Sending plants throughout the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 10:12:57 PM »
I apologise to corect you but its Artrocarpus not Autocarpus.

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 10:30:29 PM »
Yes, sorry I wrote it too quickly and did not proofread. By the way, is it artrocarpus or artocarpus, I see it written both ways.

-Tomek

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 11:07:14 PM »
Tomek, states have their own rules about what they allow in. For example, you can't send potatoes, or anything in the onion family to Idaho.  Each state's department of agriculture will have lists of prohibited items. 

Sounds like a fun project you are embark8ng on!

Carolyn

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 12:53:34 AM »
Yes, sorry I wrote it too quickly and did not proofread. By the way, is it artrocarpus or artocarpus, I see it written both ways.

-Tomek

Artocarpus.

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 06:57:02 AM »
Thanks for the replies! Carolyn, other than the prohibited items, do I need a permit for the unprohibited plants? I guess I’ll check each individual state.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 03:08:18 PM »

-Tomek
Correct is Artrocarpus.Artro means to plow in latin and is refering to the arrangement of the seeds in the fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 03:43:22 PM »
Sending plants inside USA falls under jurisdiction of each state's agriculture. So your USDA permits won't help you. Those are for international shipments. Best thing is to contact your own state agriculture department. They will have info sheets on what you can send to each state and how. The four most difficult states to send to are California, Arizona, Texas, and Louisiana. Those 4 states you need a nematode certificate, which means all your plants must be grown in sterile medium, and are up on benches that nematodes can't get on. For that you need an inspection. The other 46 states are much easier to deal with. Unless you have a nursery certificate you will have to go into your state ag department office each time to have your plant packages inspected before mailing them out.
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 05:01:24 PM »

-Tomek
Correct is Artrocarpus.Artro means to plow in latin and is refering to the arrangement of the seeds in the fruit.

Dude, are you just fucking with us now? So many of your posts have misinformation. It’s Artocarpus, not artrocarpus.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 05:47:53 PM »

-Tomek

Dude, are you just fucking with us now? So many of your posts have misinformation. It’s Artocarpus, not artrocarpus.
Manny of my posts have disinformation?
Im not fucking anybody here,relax,take your Xanax  ;D .
I give you an advice.Why dont you act like a sissy dictator and ban me with all my disinformation posts?
For me it wouldnt be a big deal.

EDIT: your right its Artocarpus not artrocarpus but artro and artro means basically the same thing ,to press a seed or to plow a seed ( roughly).
I complained politely after i googled the original ,,autocarpus,, after i seen it writed twice ( not sure if by the same author) and after a google search this plant does not exist.
So i made a mild mistake but that doesnt excuse you rude comment.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:22:02 PM by SeaWalnut »

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 07:38:44 PM »
Ah, you gotta love those high-tech apps like Spellcheck and Google Translate!
Until the Siri app came out, every time I tried to send an email to my daughter Siri, Spellcheck corrected it to Sorry.
I tend to ignore typos when I read posts, even in Latin names, since Autocorrect is always changing them to weird things...

On the ORIGINAL subject - Tomek, are you growing your own cacao? If so, how are you doing with pollination?  I have to do mine by hand, but there was a big greenhouse I saw in Australia that had ONE cacao tree, AND they were not pollinating it by hand, but it was loaded with fruit.  Still trying to figure out some sort of insect to help me.

Carolyn

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 07:59:50 PM »
Well, for now I have no need to worry about pollination of cacao. My cacaos are all just barely surviving! My oldest one is most likely going to die, and the others never really prosper past a certain age. I get 100% germination but lose 75% of the plants the first winter. Sometimes I’m left with a twig that stays a twig for some months and then starts to grow again- I did not know some cacaos are deciduous! Oh well, such is life when you must bring cacao indoors for the winter into a 40-45% 69 degree environment. I really do need a greenhouse.

I did recently donate some of my cacao to the US botanic gardens, where the curator who took the plants showed me some of the cacaos in the growing facility (not the conservatory- a separate building where they actually keep most of the plants that is in my opinion much more interesting than the conservatory itself). He explained that they pollinate the cacao by first taking off all the open flowers on one day, then on the next day they take a few of the newly open flowers and touch them to some other newly open flowers on another tree. They only get good success when they do it in the morning. Supposedly some cacao varieties are self fertile, but I don’t know much about that.

These are the three largest cacao I have. They look worse in real life than in the photos. On a more positive note, my cara cara navel oranges (from seed), mamey sapote, and rose apple all seem to be fine indoors for the winter, the cherimoyas survive (though they sometimes lose all their leaves, most come back), passion fruit and dragonfruit grows too fast for me, and my tree tomato is touching the ceiling!

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 08:56:27 PM »
Yeah, I have a big tropical greenhouse, so my cacao are doing great. The two oldest are hitting the ceiling and very bushy. I really love them! I pollinate in the morning also, but it is very time-consuming, since I have to do it EVERY morning so I dont try to hit flowers that opened yesterday. My rose apples are doing really well too. I have my first crop of fruit set on, and my mouth is already watering!
Good luck in your venture!!!

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk