Author Topic: What is wrong with this mango?  (Read 1345 times)

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
What is wrong with this mango?
« on: June 12, 2019, 06:03:28 PM »
This mango came from my mother in law's tree last week and it has always produced a ton of wonderful, delicious fibreless fruit. The fruit still on the tree didn't appear ripe but this one was on the ground and not ripe either. When I cut it today this is what I saw. I tasted a little piece that looked normal and it tasted good as always, but tossed the rest. The other 8-10 I picked up off the ground had the same rotten spot inside, and some of those had black splotches on the skin.

Does anyone have an idea what variety this is and what is the problem with that ugly spot inside. Thanks

Calusa

• View Profile
Re: What is wrong with this mango?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 06:05:17 PM »

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 11:29:25 PM »
likely maggots, I see those boring holes.  In the picture before you cut you can see a small black bruised spot, which was the entry point.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 02:34:40 AM »
I see this often with the imported fruit from Mexico.

Some speculation is that the voids are caused by lack of Calcium. You should ask what their soil pH is and if they fertilize their tree regularly.

I usually cut away the voids and enjoy the rest, but on that fruit it appears to be ripening from the inside to the outside, and the inside is almost at the spoilage stage. That is something you see often when the tree does not get Calcium.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 08:03:15 AM »
I think this may be part of the spectrum of disorders called Internal Breakdown specifically stem end but including "soft nose" and "jelly seed". You can google these terms and find out more. This is typical of what you may find;
https://ufdc.ufl.edu/AA00026798/00001/pdf

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 09:19:56 PM »
That dissertation has some interesting information about the calcium deficiency. I'll have to talk to my wife's Mom about taking better care of that tree.

Any guess as to the variety of this mango?