Author Topic: Where to buy grafted mango tree in so cal?  (Read 11674 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy grafted mango tree in so cal?
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 11:25:27 AM »
Once the professors trees are released, you might see them at the big box stores and that might be the best place for you to pick one up depending on your location, budget and expertise. In fact the only one of his creations that you might actually be able to put in your car, his earliest, "Timotoyo," has been carried by Lowes, contra the claims by the big box store haters that big box stores don't carry unusual trees or cultivars.

For the rest you can place an order and wait.

Frankly I'm surprised that I'm the only one defending the big stores. I know there are dozens or hundreds of TFF members that frequent those stores regularly and appreciate their qualities (location, price, selection, service, etc). I also know that some of the people developing new cultivars will be happy to sell their trees through those stores and benefit by doing so. And yet we all sit around and listen to those stores being trashed and say nothing? I couldn't let it go. I shop there, I like it and its a good thing. I also shop at local nurseries and that's a good thing. In my area every nursery has good qualities and things to criticize. To single out big box stores for criticism is grossly unjust.
Shane

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 01:57:29 PM »
Once the professors trees are released, you might see them at the big box stores and that might be the best place for you to pick one up depending on your location, budget and expertise. In fact the only one of his creations that you might actually be able to put in your car, his earliest, "Timotoyo," has been carried by Lowes, contra the claims by the big box store haters that big box stores don't carry unusual trees or cultivars.

Frankly I'm surprised that I'm the only one defending the big stores. I know there are dozens or hundreds of TFF members that frequent those stores regularly and appreciate their qualities (location, price, selection, service, etc). I also know that some of the people developing new cultivars will be happy to sell their trees through those stores and benefit by doing so. And yet we all sit around and listen to those stores being trashed and say nothing? I couldn't let it go. I shop there, I like it and its a good thing. I also shop at local nurseries and that's a good thing. In my area every nursery has good qualities and things to criticize. To single out big box stores for criticism is grossly unjust.

Tim Thompson does not endorse La Verne's so call Timoteyo mango he wrote that he had no idea where they were getting their budwood 

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 02:20:19 PM »

Tim Thompson does not endorse La Verne's so call Timoteyo mango he wrote that he had no idea where they were getting their budwood 
Tim T. has mention before, that he gave some Timoteyo budwood to the original owner of La Verne nursery for a test trail, but some how, they accidentally or who knows, maybe intentionally release their propagated Timoteyo trees to the public. Since then, like JF mention, he cut all ties and stop doing business with them as well. So,  he doesn't know if the Timoteyo that they are still propagating and selling currently are from the original tree given to them or not.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 02:45:43 PM »

Tim T. has mention before, that he gave some Timoteyo budwood to the original owner of La Verne nursery for a test trail, but some how, they accidentally or who knows, maybe intentionally release their propagated Timoteyo trees to the public. Since then, like JF mention, he cut all ties and stop doing business with them as well. So,  he doesn't know if the Timoteyo that they are still propagating and selling currently are from the original tree given to them or not.

Tim will not certify their authenticity

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »

Tim will not certify their authenticity

Ditto :)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 03:26:07 PM »

I kind of got the impression talking to Tim that he was not a fan of Mango trees sold at big box stores in California (which most likely would be from La Verne).

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 12:45:22 PM »
I like shopping at the big box stores because of their prices and typically good quality products but I sometimes would rather pay a higher price purchasing my plants at a mom and pap nursery just to help out the small guy as long as they have quality trees.

If big box does so well that they eliminate the competition, that would greatly reduce the variety/diversity of locally available rate fruit trees because big box would typically only carry the best sellers which tend to be the more common varieties.

I wish the Costco down here in my area carried Mango trees as the quality of the trees at the mom and pap stores can be lacking at times. If quality is the same, I would personally pay more to help keep the mom and pap stores stay afloat so that they can help me get the really cool stuff.
Simon

stanslaton

• USA, California, Newbury Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »
Can someone please provide Tim Thompson's telephone contact number. I purchased 10 trees last year for delivery this year and yet to here from him or get a reply to my emails? Thank you.

Stan Slaton

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 12:42:19 PM »
Can someone please provide Tim Thompson's telephone contact number. I purchased 10 trees last year for delivery this year and yet to here from him or get a reply to my emails? Thank you.

Stan Slaton
I don't know his #, but I think the orders won't be process and sent out until this July? At least the group order I'm part of won't get their tree till then too, hope this gives you some comfort  :)

stanslaton

• USA, California, Newbury Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 02:51:58 PM »
Thanks, it would be nice if he was a bit more responsive to emails and had a phone number for contact. Someone must have his number?

Stan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk