Author Topic: Lemon Guava Leaf Spot  (Read 1128 times)

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Lemon Guava Leaf Spot
« on: May 09, 2019, 08:01:57 PM »
My lemon guava's leaves aren't lasting nearly as long as I think they should. As shown in the pictures, starting from the lowest leaves of this spring's growth (8 weeks since these leaves broke bud), the leaves are developing brown spots near the leaf tip, moving gradually down the edge, with the entire leaf eventually turning red. I thought this was normal initially, but I'm starting to worry that I'm going to run out of leaves by the middle of the summer, and haven't seen anything similar being reported online. One of my Cherries of the Rio Grande has two leaves with brown spots not similar to these, but in general the plant looks healthy, and none of my other plants have shown this symptom yet. I'm in Northern California. It seems like some kind of fungal infection to me, but that might just mean that the plant is being weakened by something else that I need to address, for example low humidity or insufficient water. It isn't currently pushing new growth, so something may be stunting its growth, I'm just not sure what's typical. The tree has been in the ground for a bit over a year.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:30:15 PM by NateTheGreat »

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Guava Leaf Spot
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 07:45:14 PM »
Pictures are not loading, for me at least.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 11:30:23 PM »
Oops, fixed.

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 02:34:34 PM »
I’m no expert, but to me that looks a bit more like cold damage or a fertilizing imbalance. My strawberry guava’s get leaf spots in cold weather and seem to have problems taking up nutrients and nitrogen in the cold ground, no matter what I feed them. The moment the weather warms up and with some rainwater they usually turn healthy green again.