Author Topic: Advice Please - Wrong Section, Moving to Citrus  (Read 828 times)

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Advice Please - Wrong Section, Moving to Citrus
« on: February 24, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
My small  Xie Shan is blooming like crazy after being planted in the ground this Spring.
Since it is small (about 40" tall), should I pull the blooms off?

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 04:23:24 PM by cmichael258 »
Michael

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Please - Wrong Section, Moving to Citrus
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 11:49:28 PM »
If you pull them now it will waste energy and bloom again. Most people want a few fruit
now and won't sacrifice the fruit for the extra growth. I had a fairly large ortanique bloom last year
and didn't set fruit. It grew so much with out the burden of putting it's energy into producing fruit.
If the tree was in a grove they would leave the fruit on. They don't have the time to pull fruit off
small trees. It will definitely grow more and produce allot more fruit next year if you wait 4-6 weeks
and pull the fruit. If you have other citrus trees it makes it easier to pull fruit, that is suppose to be
one of the best tasting fruits if it gets some cold. Down here allot of citrus ripens when the fruit is
green in September or October before we have had cool weather. I have ponkans, kishu, and owari
satsuma and I have had fruit get ripe in August. The fruit is still green but gets soft. I waited a couple times
until the fruit turned orange and it was dry and worthless. The green fruit is tangy and very good, but
not a sweet California tangerine. The Xie shan is suppose to be earlier then the owari. You probably will
end up eating green fruit when the tree is in production?

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Please - Wrong Section, Moving to Citrus
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:57:10 AM »
Thank you!
Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk