Author Topic: Can you grow avacado, mango and banana indoors?  (Read 5628 times)

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
Re: Can you grow avacado, mango and banana indoors?
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2019, 05:49:47 PM »
I selected my greenhouse design so that pollinators can easily come and go at will.  2' roof vent, 4' drop down guillotine vent (which I hate cause it's leaky).
Mark, what would you use instead of the guillotine vent if you got to redo it? (what a name for just a window....)

SeaWalnut, that geodesic dome looks nice! A wood heater sounds like a lot of work during long cold nights, though...

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2019, 07:22:46 PM »
Bees, honey and bumble, are just a small part of my pollinators.  I have moths, butterflies, wasps, and several species of flies.  This Gwen avocado was covered in flies.

I dont know much about avocados but i assume they must be like those annonaceae that are not pollinated by bees but by flyes,ants and somme otther bugs.Those plants il most likely polinate with a brush myself but to have a small bumblebee hive indoor in the winter here its good because they are easy to keep and we dont have any polinators in winter.

avocados have small flowers that bees can pollinate.
Brad Spaugh

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2019, 09:30:47 AM »
Mangos and avocados are cheap and can be found at any supermarket so i wont try growing them.The heating will be made with a rocket stove on wood but probably il only use that just a few weeks a year

Mango ripe on tree cost 5 euros a piece, no so cheap.
You will use that rocket stove everyday to heat the dome, especially in the night for at least 2 months. Anyway welcome to the tropical fruit growers you have time to learn!

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2019, 10:20:05 AM »
I selected my greenhouse design so that pollinators can easily come and go at will.  2' roof vent, 4' drop down guillotine vent (which I hate cause it's leaky).
Mark, what would you use instead of the guillotine vent if you got to redo it? (what a name for just a window....)

SeaWalnut, that geodesic dome looks nice! A wood heater sounds like a lot of work during long cold nights, though...

Same rack and pinion vent that I have in the peak.

Only wood heater I'd consider is a wood pellet type.  They can be regulated and are super efficient, like 88% efficiency.  I have a wood pellet smoker/grill with a very accurate PID controller.  Set it manually with your phone's app or manually on the unit to say.....225F, and it stays there for up to 16 hours a fill.  Heat can be graphically tracked with the touch of your finger.  I can cook 4 meals with this thing and have maybe a 1/2 cup of ashes to dump.  Easy peasy.......

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2019, 03:52:43 PM »
The rocket stove on wood that il build its verry efficient and my invention that will have a rotating feeder with pipes that are filled with just regular wood branches ( i dont have pellets here ).It will work similar to a revolver magazine and il  feed it with wood just once a week or so( at least thats the goal).The burning chamber will be made of a verry high temperature resistant material wich i also used it for my mini metal foundry and the fire will be soo intense that it will burn even the smoke wich its why are rocket stoves soo efficient probably close to 100 percent but if il choose to add a condensing system for the heat transfer with recirculating pump,a pressure vessel and radiators,then its efficiency might go beyond 100 percent up to 110 percent efficiency.The rocket stoves are a relatively new invention and little known .In Europe i think there is a single manufacturer that makes rocket stoves certifyed ,the one in the link,Gamera.https://youtu.be/xywNEmDYYXk
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:56:53 PM by SeaWalnut »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2019, 04:31:38 PM »
Rocket stoves have been around for centuries all over the world.  Search "rocket mass heater" on youtube for ideas.  The goal is to run a long exhaust run under many tons of mass (rocks, bricks, cob, etc) to slowly warm it and the mass acts as a thermal battery.
Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2019, 05:04:19 PM »
Rocket stoves have been around for centuries all over the world.  Search "rocket mass heater" on youtube for ideas.  The goal is to run a long exhaust run under many tons of mass (rocks, bricks, cob, etc) to slowly warm it and the mass acts as a thermal battery.
I dont call my rocket stove rochet mass heater because i didnt decided iet how i will make the heat transfer(i am thinking to have a water with antifreeze run by a pump to somme heating radiators instead of having a mass battery or simply to not use any mass or liquid.heat transfer).The discovery of rocket stoves its thousands of years old( swedish log its a rochet stove) but they become available for sale only recently.This inventor rocket stove its my favourite and it features a stirling engine that spins a generator to produce electricity for the recirculating pump and can also produce electric energy to power the whoole house.Its from him that i got my inspiration to build the rocket stove.https://youtu.be/PaU_fjUtbmo
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 05:25:58 PM by SeaWalnut »

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2019, 06:12:11 PM »
Cool heater!
If you heat-exchange to a liquid, do you end up with more long-wave radiation than if you had just an air-air heat exchange? Is that easier to keep contained in the GH or harder?
If you have hot water you can heat the soil, but I don't know up to what point that's beneficial...
Have you had a condensing heater of some form? I did and I'm glad I no longer have. It was a total disaster from a maintenance point of view (corrosion).

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2019, 09:23:49 PM »
I would use heat exchange to a liquid just to transfer the heat from the stove to the GH ,in wich case i would have the stove mounted outside of the greenhouse for safety issues .As for condensing boiler,i never had one but i know verry well how it works and that its so.ething extra i could add to increase the efficiency.I know the water from condensation its slightly acid ( ph @5) and off course il use food grade stainless steel pipes from beer cooling barrels to make the condenser coil.I also have a good source of quite cheap titanium(TA2) condensers for just 50 dollars.First il nake the stove with the revolver like feeder and after that i will think at heat transfer solutions.I would like to use a stirling engine to direct drive the recirculating pump .It would be awesome just to make a fire and have an autonomous non electrical sistem to recirculate the water.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2019, 11:45:50 AM »
That technology sounds really cool.

Dwarf pineapple plant producing for the first time.  It's a miracle baby! Went thru 18F, recovered, put off a pup and bloomed!  Fruit is about 1" or so high. I'll have to be careful peeling this one.  ;D

Desertcitrus

• Hurricane, UT 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2019, 01:21:20 AM »
Mark in Texas. That is really fun to see your pineapple flower.

Desertcitrus

• Hurricane, UT 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2019, 01:29:11 AM »
I would be putting them in pots and putting them outside most the time. In the winter I have a corner of my house that has large  east and west windows that come together that give lots and lots of sun in the winter. That’s actually one reason I bought the house. I would not plant them in the ground and my yard is to small for a real greenhouse. With that in mind and others have said it’s possible, how hard is it to grow those 3 individual things in pots. Inside in winter outside in the summer. It also gets to 108-110 in the summer but I can bring it in on those really hot days.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2019, 07:09:53 AM »
I would be putting them in pots and putting them outside most the time. In the winter I have a corner of my house that has large  east and west windows that come together that give lots and lots of sun in the winter. That’s actually one reason I bought the house. I would not plant them in the ground and my yard is to small for a real greenhouse. With that in mind and others have said it’s possible, how hard is it to grow those 3 individual things in pots. Inside in winter outside in the summer. It also gets to 108-110 in the summer but I can bring it in on those really hot days.

Grow what?  All tropical trees want to get big.  Yeah you have some dwarfs like Pickering mango which can be maintained in a small pot. I have a Meyer in a 15 gal. bottomless RootBuilder bed which I should have expanded long ago.  It's doing very well.

Have a friend in Austin that built some carts with large 8" wheels, 2 that pivot.  Does the RootBuilder thing and stores his trees in the garage during the winter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk