Author Topic: Newly grafted mango tree question on pruning/tipping  (Read 1201 times)

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Newly grafted mango tree question on pruning/tipping
« on: July 11, 2019, 09:08:11 AM »
I just recently had 4 successful sweet tart grafts. Currently they are done with their first flush and starting to turn green. My question is when is the earliest I can tip them to make them branch? After the first flush hardens or should I was until after the second flush hardens, or should you wait even longer?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:49:29 PM by chad6159 »

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Newly grafted mango tree question on pruning/tipping
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 08:32:18 AM »
Bump.....
I really don't want to kill them by pruning them too soon so if anyone can let me know when is the earliest I can prune it that would be great.

I have watched many videos on grafting but no one ever says how much you should let it grow before you prune it.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 09:47:21 AM »
Congratulations on the successful takes.
The trees I have bought were veneer grafted. The union is usually close to the
ground. I understand you should make your first prune when the center leader of your tree
is as high as your waist. Then you prune above a node. You are then looking for the 3-4 strongest
shoots that are evenly spaced. When the new shoots are 2 feet you tip them and so on.
A very good video has been shared on this forum. 

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 09:56:03 AM »
Congratulations on the successful takes.
The trees I have bought were veneer grafted. The union is usually close to the
ground. I understand you should make your first prune when the center leader of your tree
is as high as your waist. Then you prune above a node. You are then looking for the 3-4 strongest
shoots that are evenly spaced. When the new shoots are 2 feet you tip them and so on.
A very good video has been shared on this forum.

Thank you. I was grafting onto an already mature tree so the grafts are more around shoulder height. I was just wondering if it was okay to prune them after their first flush hardens or should you wait for a couple flushed before you prune to cause branching. I have seen the videos you are talking about. Great videos on how to prune a mango.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 06:20:27 PM »
If the tree has other branches, totally fine to tip the first flush. I have done this on nearly all the grafts on the cogs hall I'm topworking. The ones I didn't do it on was just because time got away from me...  I leave at least 2 leaves on the branch I tip.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 07:09:40 PM »
If the tree has other branches, totally fine to tip the first flush. I have done this on nearly all the grafts on the cogs hall I'm topworking. The ones I didn't do it on was just because time got away from me...  I leave at least 2 leaves on the branch I tip.

perfect thank you!