Author Topic: Pinkerton avocado as rootstock  (Read 1715 times)

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Pinkerton avocado as rootstock
« on: November 23, 2020, 03:19:08 PM »
Has anyone tried to use Pinkerton avocado as a rootstock for Pinkerton scion?
Pinkerton is a small medium tree good for containers.
Most nurseries use maxican type resistant rootstock which are vigourous in growth and filling containers with roots fast.
Is this susceptible to root rot?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:11:27 PM by lebmung »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Pinkerton avocado as rootstock
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 04:20:34 PM »
You can use it sure why not?  Its maybe not the best one but it will surely grow an avocado tree.  If thats what you have then go for it.  I have trees on regular hass rootstock that are ok too. 
Brad Spaugh

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 04:57:03 PM »
You can use it sure why not?  Its maybe not the best one but it will surely grow an avocado tree.  If thats what you have then go for it.  I have trees on regular hass rootstock that are ok too.

Thanks for you reply spaugh, I know you grow many avocados.
I was thinking to use it because of its dwarfing habit. I am just a bit concerned about how strong the root is.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 06:15:42 PM »
Do you have any other choices?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 08:46:04 PM »
I doubt its going to be extra dwarfing but maybe a little less vigorous than some.  Pinkerton isnt really that dwarfing either once it gets growing it gets big.  What it tends to do is set an amazing amount of fruit and stunt its growth   its not that avocados are really dwarfish, some just set a huge fruit set then dont grow as fast as others. 
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 09:24:32 PM »
Im sure its "dwarfing" when its kept in an undersized pot. 
- Rob

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 04:09:45 PM »
Do you have any other choices?

I usually use Fuerte. But Fuerte is a larger tree.
I do a lot of root trimming when they are seedlings and use some substance that makes them grow more hairy roots.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 01:03:44 AM »
Large commercial grower in Fallbrook said to loon for big seeds or west Indian, and frank has seconded the west Indian suggestion. I've had great luck with bacon seedlings I got from Brad. Fast and vigorous growing trees.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 08:11:00 AM »
Large commercial grower in Fallbrook said to loon for big seeds or west Indian, and frank has seconded the west Indian suggestion. I've had great luck with bacon seedlings I got from Brad. Fast and vigorous growing trees.

I don't want vigorous growth. I need a dwarf cultivar, like flying dragon for citruses or falan for mangoes. That set fruit when they are small and don't grow roots fast.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 10:32:41 AM »
In Budapest the growing season may be shorter anyway keeping the trees smaller. I agree with some of the statements mage avocados and big trees, and trees the bear a lot of fruit stay small by the over bearing process. e.i. Beta cultivar.
Now. I also find that trees that are canopied changed a few times, specially with opposite races. West Indies and Mexican stay small.  Case in point. I toped worked a tree. Originally on Waldin rootstock, then Dupuis. These two where the original planting combination in 2004. In  2012 I cut the Dupuis, leaving 2-3 feet of Dupuis trunk and grafted the Mexicola. That tree stayed small under 15 feet until early this year 2020  that I pruned for canopy rejuvenation not because it was big, I had some dead wood in it and needed to get renewed.
I can basically tell you the same of my Pinkerton tree about the same time, always stayed small and produced a lot of fruit.    The reason is in my opinion  that different vascular systems, and the Mexican and West Indies are in fact different, slow sap flows. On the other hand does  not work with all trees. The more mexican the better for this slow growth syndrome.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 12:40:32 PM »

I have heard West Indian types are good for more saline soils and Mexicans are often more resistant to root fungus/rot..

I would rather have my avocados grafted to Mexican rootstocks because they also handle significantly more cold. You don’t want a rootstock that freezes and your producing part of the tree subsequently dies.. unfortunately they mostly graft to Lula here in Florida..

I have a Bacon and I believe it is a Mexican dominant hybrid.. well I thought the whole tree died due to over-fertilizing a few times on accident, and fungus issues that killed off 95% of the top graft.. but somehow it pulled through right at the graft line. I’m pretty amazed at its hardiness especially considering quite a few hass seedlings die randomly around here.. so Bacon is definitely a strong variety and would probably be a decent rootstock..

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 03:56:34 PM »
I think bacon is pure Guatemalan but haven't checked. It does prefer cool areas. Pimkerton is stand alone one of the best for taste and also like it a bit cooler and is Guatemalan.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 05:24:39 PM »
Bacon is mexican avocado weed tree.  Zutano is the other weed tree type. 

Pinkerton is hybrid mexican guatemalan rincon x hass seedling.  It is one of if not the best flavored avocado for sure.  Makes loads of fruit too. 
Brad Spaugh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 06:17:43 PM »
ok I stand corrected and didn't check just went on appearances

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 06:47:20 PM »
ok I stand corrected and didn't check just went on appearances

I just googled pinkerton its guatemalan.  But bacon is mexican.  Makes sense, guatemalans seem to be better fruit.

Heres what google says
"History
Pinkerton avocado variety was originally a chance seedling selected in Saticoy, Ventura County, California, USA by J. Pinkerton in the 1960's. It was patented in USA in 1975. Pinkerton has been shown to be a cross between the very compact and low winter-spring fruiting 'Rincon' cultivar, and 'Hass'. Oxford University genetics studies in 2009 showed Pinkerton appears to be 98% Guatemalan, not 'part Mexican' as previously thought. Hass is the pollen parent."
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk