Author Topic: Can’t get rid of fungus gnats, any ideas?  (Read 1673 times)

Desertcitrus

• Hurricane, UT 8b
    • View Profile
Can’t get rid of fungus gnats, any ideas?
« on: January 09, 2020, 03:46:33 PM »
I have an infestation of fungus gnats. Every time I water my lime tree hundreds of gnats come out and swarm the house and windows by the plants. I have tried neem oil with soap and diatomaceous earth. The diatomaceous earth works a little bit not enough. I still have sooooo many. I’m sure they have laid tons of eggs to. Any suggestions?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Can’t get rid of fungus gnats, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 03:53:04 PM »
Most hardware stores sell a product called Mosquito Dunks.  They are donut shape looking round dunks.  Break them up  and sprinkle the on he surface and water them in.  You could also let a dunk dissolve inn water over night then water into the container.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 05:36:18 PM by Millet »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 05:10:24 PM »
Easy way is to install 1 inch of white sand over the soil in the pot. Gnats can not get to the soil and emerging ones can not get to the surface. They only live a week so in a couple of weeks you should be rid of them. They like wet soil....so....let the top two in hes of soil dry out before watering....then water from the bottom.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 06:44:18 PM »
Dawn dish soap...

Desertcitrus

• Hurricane, UT 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 06:20:04 PM »
Thank you. They do only live a week but they must lay eggs because they continue to back just as bad as before. The diatomaceous earth kills the adults but not the eggs. So they just keep coming back over and over and over. I will have to try the mosquito dunks. The sand sounds like it will kill them but not their eggs that keep hatching same with the dish soap. I put neem oil and dawn dish soap together and it only killed the adults.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 06:22:21 PM by Desertcitrus »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 09:46:56 PM »
Wine or fruit juice nearby may attract and drown them.  Or get a pitcher plant!  Mine works wonders for fly control

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 11:09:21 PM »
gnatrol...

the yellow sticky pads just made me feel good about catching those bastards. but gotta go to source..and gnatrol took care of it for me within the week.

ZAP

• WESTERN N.AMERICA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 06:00:46 PM »
Sand-mulch.  Just be aware that sand can be really alkaline, and burn plants trapped in pots?  Maybe rinse?   
Check your drain holes at the bottom.  Are they shady little Gnat Condo's?  I have had issues with the drain rock at the bottom of my pots - it lets gnats -and fruit flies access roots, bits of compost, and moisture, at the shady bottoms of many pots.

Old nylons placed into the pots before soil can help block the little buggers from flying in, as long as they don't plug up and cause water logging.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:03:34 PM by ZAP »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 06:07:58 PM »
Drain  rock on the bottom of containers does not increase drainage.  All they do is raise the perched water table higher into the container.