Author Topic: tree labeling  (Read 22211 times)

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
tree labeling
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:00:04 PM »
I'd like to have some visual marker as to which trees are which, both to remind myself and to help other people know what's going on in my yard. Does anyone out there have an attractive solution? I know some of you guys have hundreds of trees - what is your approach to keeping things organized?

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Re: tree labeling
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:07:10 PM »
Hi,

here is what I use:

Then I keep an inventory on my computer for all the numbers. I never have to write a single label and I don't have to worry about fading of the text. And if a plant die then I can reuse the same label without any hassle.

Tomas

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:19:33 PM »
Tomas,
Great idea!  Where do you get the set of numbered tags?
Har

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:33:23 PM »
Hello Har,

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/drilldown_pages/view_category.asp?cat=128

They are called "Round Numbered Tags" and they have numbers up to 10,000. I should also mention that I use insulated twisted copper wire to hang the labels with. They last forever and they don't cut into the stem like a naked wire does.

Tomas

happyisland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:37:49 PM »
Cool solution, tomas! I currently have a version of that, a list in my computer that just describes where everything is, like "pickering mango, planted by the driveway, closest to the street"...

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 10:17:49 PM »
Thomas, too cool i have been thinking along that same line for my trees but don't know how the Alum.-tags would hold up to salt air. I'm about two miles inland on central coast of Ca. How are your tags holding up and how long have you had them!

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 10:24:48 PM »
Hi Scott,

They haven't eroded anything yet. But I have only had them for no more than 2 years. I live just a few miles from the ocean myself.

Tomas

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 10:58:01 PM »
It's best to have both a map as well as labels on the trees. Labels can get lost, vandalized, or disappear, so map provides a good back up. I like Tomas' idea of embossed metal labels, but i would want to have more than just a number on the latel. It would be great to have the cultivar name, and maybe date planted. If you have only a few plants numbers would be enough, but if you have hundreds you're not going to remember what number 596 corresponds to. Or you would have to have the key with you also at all times, which also defeats the purpose of having labels. Some plants are kind of tricky to attach a label to, like bananas, and pineapples. The best all around would be to have the label on a stake with a sign. Kind of like is used in arboretums. But this gets kind of expensive to do lots that way.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 11:12:34 PM »
Great timing as I was just going to ask a question on this.  I do think the numbers will work fine.  They could always be attached to a stake for bananas or pineapples.  I tend to "know" my plants eventually. It in the early days if a label fades, it is a problem.  For items that may take years to fruit, I need durable labels and for me if it means a number only, it certainly doesn't defeat the purpose.  596 corresponds to a Maha Chanok Nw seedling secured from harry.  (kidding).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »
Whatever works for you is the best. In my case numbers don't work. Most of my plants are in rows, the rows already are numbered, so very easy to find them on a map. Putting a number on individual plants doesn't really help me.
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 01:22:10 AM »
Cool idea with the tags,  I was thinking of making a list of the mangoes with rows as letters and number for the position,  B-4  would be the 4th mango on the second row,  this would be ok if you had a plantation type layout because nothing would have to be tagged, only listed somewhere.  but for a non linear like a back yard,  tags would be the best way.

I guess is someone wanted to get fancy, they could make those little pedestal type things you may see at a botanical garden.  probably be nice if you are displaying your trees a lot to people.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

happyisland

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »
Since I don't have that many trees (fewer than 30) my #1 goal would be to have an 'arboretum-style' naming system that would display the tree's common name on a small stake near the trunk. Does anyone out there have anything like this for trees or for their garden?

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »
The dedicated plastic plant tags with permanent ink take years to wear off.I have to scrub them with turpentine and the writing still doesn't come off properly.There are a few styles of aluminium tags that you scratch the name on.I have seen the rounded edge ones that are a little bendy and take a scratch well in packets.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 08:19:13 PM »
I need to do something like this with my trees. Currently I have a tree map but its kind of a PITA to keep current. 

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »
Another way to label these round tags, or any other shape of thin flat metals is to use an alphabet set of hand stamps/punches.  Using a hammer and the letter punches, one can just stamp in the name.  Doesn't take long and will last almost forever.  Can place around trunk or branch using a sturdy wire such as fishing leader and crimping wire in place.  A number set of stamps/punches is also available if one wishes to use a combination of letters and numbers.  I also like to use a bingo card style system when laying out an orchard.  Letters A-Z for the rows and 1- thru how many trees within each row.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »

The right tags and permanent marker can keep you out of ID strife.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »
Soft-strap plastic tags written on the rough side with an artist's black soft pencil, and hung on a shaded part of a tree, will be legible for half a dozen years--- until brittle enough for the birds to yank off for nest making.
Har

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 08:57:33 AM »
I found a way to label and recycle.  It does require trash picking, but I am ok with that!
Whenever we see people throwing out window blinds, we pick them up.
The vertical ones are/were made out of a very hard plastic.  Lasts for years.  We cut it to size, drill a whole in it for a hanger and then use a zip-tie to hang it.
We mark them using a paint pen from Walmart (in the craft section).

For smaller plants, potted plants or seedlings, we use the horizontal blinds.  They are a thinner plastic, but still durable.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 10:05:05 PM »
I use aluminum tags like these.  http://www.amekron.com/
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 10:12:21 PM »
I use aluminum tags like these.  http://www.amekron.com/

I used tags like that when i first started out. Was a big mistake! Don't know if it was the same brand or not, but the wires that came with the tags rusted out and the tags fell off. So i had to go back through and retie all the tags with stainless steel wire. Then the tags being too thin over time get crumpled and wrinkled and pretty much become ilegible. I think they are ok for about 5 years and then rapidly degrade after that. It's better in my opinion to use a thicker metal and an embossing tool. For trees you need to think of something that will last at least 25 years or more.
Oscar

WhitH

• Vero Beach, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »
I actually sell the Amekron tags on eBay. They are great for identifying potted plants, young unground trees, etc. not the best for past 5 years, as Oscar said, but very easy to use. They indent with a pencil or ballpoint pen, so you don't have to worry about ink fading as with some homemade tags.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270617549007

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread, David :)

This will be most useful indeed ;)

A friend taught me a nifty low cost way of making tags with aluminium drink cans and using a nail to write the trees names.  8)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »
I'd like to have some visual marker as to which trees are which, both to remind myself and to help other people know what's going on in my yard. Does anyone out there have an attractive solution? I know some of you guys have hundreds of trees - what is your approach to keeping things organized?

The ideas here got me thinking and I am going to be labeling my trees and keeping a record on computer backed up by "cloud" via sugar sync (free 5gb on line backup) which I do other important records

My distillation is get aluminum and tie it to tree with insulated copper wire. Bare copper wire will erode due to contact with aluminum. The wire's insulation may breakdown and fall off in 5 years due to sunlight...so need replacement. But aluminum tags have very good durability and non-erosion

• Aluminum is all over. What I have on hand to use as tags are
  • sardine tin...can be cut into 4 tags
  • aluminum flashing
  • aluminum chaffing and baking dish. These are nice and thick, thicker than aluminum foil. You can cut tags out of these though you should double them up for your tag. Use two layers
  • aluminum soda and beer cans..... need to double them up too  (jf-whisper's idea)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »
At Fairchild gardens, they wrapped the wire used for tags in a coil like a spring, so that it could expand as the tree grows.  They had permanent aluminium tags that were extra thick.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.