Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211478 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado 24/7 Thread
« Reply #600 on: June 16, 2019, 04:43:49 PM »
Choquette and Lula aren't even in the same league.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 16, 2019, 09:37:25 PM »
I'm sure you're right, Mark.  All they're saying is it wasn't successful commercially due to low production, and Lula and Choquette were used instead, not that they're equal.  (Lula is better than Choquette, but less flesh.)  But I'd still be curious if anyone has grown it outside of Homestead.  Would be worth a try in zone 10a or 9b.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:45:10 PM by johnb51 »
John

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 18, 2019, 10:15:33 AM »
I'm sure you're right, Mark.  All they're saying is it wasn't successful commercially due to low production, and Lula and Choquette were used instead, not that they're equal.  (Lula is better than Choquette, but less flesh.)  But I'd still be curious if anyone has grown it outside of Homestead.  Would be worth a try in zone 10a or 9b.

I would think zone 9 would be a great match for ya'll.

Found a cluster of 5 Reed babies yesterday.  Lots of fruit set on this tree.  How and why it set fruit is beyond me.  It was the only one blooming in the greenhouse and was 3 months late.  Last of the flowers just fell off.

poofystuff

• Melbourne, Florida 9B/10
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 18, 2019, 10:22:40 AM »

I would think zone 9 would be a great match for ya'll.

Found a cluster of 5 Reed babies yesterday.  Lots of fruit set on this tree.  How and why it set fruit is beyond me.  It was the only one blooming in the greenhouse and was 3 months late.  Last of the flowers just fell off.

I have a Reed in a 7 gallon pot in 9B, a few hours north of Miami. Will plant it soon and see how it performs here in the next few years.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 18, 2019, 09:34:43 PM »
I have a Reed in a 7 gallon pot in 9B, a few hours north of Miami. Will plant it soon and see how it performs here in the next few years.

Excellent!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 10:06:14 AM by johnb51 »
John

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 19, 2019, 08:17:08 AM »

Good luck!

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 18, 2019, 01:46:38 AM »
This is an update on the ‘Monroe’ avocado at my location. It’s near the shade of a giant ‘Royal Poinciana’ tree; It’s probably growing slowly and with very low yearly production as a result. Nevertheless, and for the first time ever, the fruit production this year has been tremendous:

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 01:56:20 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

AKMIKEB

• Silver Creek MS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 23, 2019, 03:53:05 PM »
Hi all
I am looking for suggestions for types of avocado trees to grow, for myself, in zone 8b Mississippi. Maybe three different trees that might fruit at different times of the year. Thanks for your help.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 02, 2019, 03:30:27 AM »
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:39:43 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 02, 2019, 07:26:54 AM »
Hi all
I am looking for suggestions for types of avocado trees to grow, for myself, in zone 8b Mississippi. Maybe three different trees that might fruit at different times of the year. Thanks for your help.

8b, is pushing it.  Might get away with Stewart or Mexicola.  Have a friend who says he witnessed an old Mexicola take temps in the single digits and make it.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 02, 2019, 07:42:12 AM »
This is an update on the ‘Monroe’ avocado at my location. It’s near the shade of a giant ‘Royal Poinciana’ tree; It’s probably growing slowly and with very low yearly production as a result. Nevertheless, and for the first time ever, the fruit production this year has been tremendous:

Very nice, congrats!  I like Monroe.

I can't wait until my trees start producing which won't be until next year.  The Reed is holding fruit.  The Mexican grown Hass at our local grocers is really crap. Always harvested premature and probably warehoused forever.  If it doesn't ripen it will surely turn black when soft.

Since I like this fruit so much not only for its taste but its health benefits thought I would order from my old standby,  Morro Creek Ranch Avocados near Morro Bay.  In the old days I used to get a box of 18 shipped for $30, about 8 oz each.  Here's the crap I got this time, 10 for $31 shipped.  These puny fruits averaged 6.1 oz each.  I wrote the company about how I felt ripped off and expressed my disgust on their Facebook page, Yelp, etc.

Due to limited supply there's got to be some money in this for you Florida and SoCal folks.

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #611 on: November 11, 2019, 03:15:03 PM »
Mark can you update us on you Reed? Also anyone with a LULA that can chime in on if it's alternate bearing? Thank you.
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 11, 2019, 03:24:56 PM »
Mark can you update us on you Reed? Also anyone with a LULA that can chime in on if it's alternate bearing? Thank you.

My Reed is on steroids, holding 20 fruit.  It's vigorous, I tip about 3X a year.

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #613 on: November 11, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »
 :) Amazing! I just planted a brodgon and it is tall with short lateral branching. Should I tip it at the top to promote more branching?
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 12, 2019, 10:14:45 AM »
:) Amazing! I just planted a brodgon and it is tall with short lateral branching. Should I tip it at the top to promote more branching?

You can but be careful.  I tipped my Reed back in 2012 low.  It became a weird football field goal post and which I never could retrain, not until a freeze took it down to a stub. The 3 shoots I selected worked our fine.

BBF

• Houston
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: January 27, 2020, 10:22:12 PM »
Hello Mark: Please list which varieties of avocados are doing well for you in Central TX. I am new to avocados, but would like to grow Wilma (Brazos Belle) and Opal (Lila) that are suggested to do well on Lula rootstock in Houston area. Thanks-

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 28, 2020, 06:55:41 AM »
Hello Mark: Please list which varieties of avocados are doing well for you in Central TX. I am new to avocados, but would like to grow Wilma (Brazos Belle) and Opal (Lila) that are suggested to do well on Lula rootstock in Houston area. Thanks-

I have not met any Texas grower (but one and he seems very bias declaring his are better than Hass) who likes the "Tex-Mex" avocados.  Why they're selling them is beyond me.  I grew Joey and it is crap.  For cold hardy in ground pure Mex avocados I can only recommend Stewart and Mexicola.

I'm growing Oro Negro, GEM, Pinkerton, Lamb Hass, Sharwil, Ardith and Reed.  For a very small, high quality container tree I recommend Pinkerton.  Of all my trees I can truly say it's a runt.  You can decrease the internode space, dwarf your trees with treatments of a PGR like Bonzi.  I hit all mine about a month ago.

Use a root pruning potting system.

Reed fruit now, should be ready come July:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:59:43 AM by Mark in Texas »

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 28, 2020, 11:11:53 AM »
PGRs like Bonzi (paclobutrazol) are showing up in cannabis being grown for human consumption.  In spite of an "organic" label the residues are there.  Several European countries have banned them, usage in our parts are only for ornamentals.  Be careful.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 28, 2020, 12:00:19 PM »
PGRs like Bonzi (paclobutrazol) are showing up in cannabis being grown for human consumption.  In spite of an "organic" label the residues are there.  Several European countries have banned them, usage in our parts are only for ornamentals.  Be careful.

1.  Am still standing Jack,

2.  Paclobutrazol has been used in mango orchards and avocados for decades, still do under trade names like Austar.   https://www.google.com/search?ei=-2YwXo-KHIjb-gTY3bC4Dg&q=paclobutrazol+australia+avocados&oq=paclobutrazol+australia+avocados&gs_l=psy-ab.3...6166.11828..12608...0.2..0.1138.10726.6-6j5......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i67j0j0i22i30j33i160.2H2Mmo03r7I&ved=0ahUKEwjP84n74KbnAhWIrZ4KHdguDOcQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

3. Texans don't do Cali Prop. 65's.   ;D

BBF

• Houston
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 28, 2020, 12:33:50 PM »
Thank you Mark. I hear you. Mexicola and Stewart are high on my list to acquire this year. Which rootstock are you using for your collection. I have heard about Lula and Duke and continue to look for seeds of either of these or other preferred rootstocks for TX weather.
I didn't know about AuSTAR. Where do you buy this.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 28, 2020, 05:23:55 PM »
Thank you Mark. I hear you. Mexicola and Stewart are high on my list to acquire this year. Which rootstock are you using for your collection. I have heard about Lula and Duke and continue to look for seeds of either of these or other preferred rootstocks for TX weather.
I didn't know about AuSTAR. Where do you buy this.

Thanks to a VERY kind and generous member here I've got some Stewart rootstocks going.  Hope to graft Stewart and/or Mexicola to them and some others and help out a poor kicker brethren here to usually have to settle for crap while clapping in glee when their Hass seed pops - "I'VE GOT AN AVOCADO TREE!!!!"  Having said that the rootstocks I used in the greenhouse are Florida "Slimcados", those big watery store types.  I have not found a better rootstock than those.  For some reason others can't match their vigor and scion acceptance.

Lula and Duke should be good ones.  Have no experience with them though. 

BBF

• Houston
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 06, 2020, 09:54:24 AM »
Hello Mark: Good to know that slimcados as a rootstock has the best vigor. I have started some of these seeds this year. Does slimcado do well in winter? How long do you wait before grafting? Some of the videos I have seen show grafting on a very young plant.  Thank you-

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 06, 2020, 10:25:44 AM »
Hello Mark: Good to know that slimcados as a rootstock has the best vigor. I have started some of these seeds this year. Does slimcado do well in winter? How long do you wait before grafting? Some of the videos I have seen show grafting on a very young plant.  Thank you-

If you're going with cold hardy I'd use a pure Mex race as the rootstock.  You can always cover up the graft too like Bill Schneider does in Devine using Lula.

The seedlings were amazing.  I started them in the late fall and by Feb. they were grafted.  Seedlings grew like weeds, 2' tall, fast.  Grafted about 5, they all took.  Here's Reed May 2012, side veneer graft.  Trunk is about 6" thick now.

Same tree in August.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 10:30:06 AM by Mark in Texas »

BBF

• Houston
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 06, 2020, 07:48:18 PM »
That's awesome growth in 6 months. Please share the source of these rainmaker large pots you are using for avocados. Thanks

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 07, 2020, 09:47:08 AM »
That's awesome growth in 6 months. Please share the source of these rainmaker large pots you are using for avocados. Thanks

rootmaker.com