Author Topic: Does anybody use Microkote container paint?  (Read 2169 times)

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Does anybody use Microkote container paint?
« on: February 08, 2016, 08:55:40 PM »
This stuff is used by many members on different forums and they swear by it. I have seen rootballs coming from these containers and they look excellent.I am about to jump in, but still a little reluctant.
I got to repot a lot in the next few weeks. Help!!!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody use Microkote container paint?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:53:05 PM »
Copper is in Microkote because the copper will prune the root tips, causing new side branching of the root from the pruned tip back 4 inches (known as the "4-Inch Rule").   I guess it would be "OK" to use Microkote, but I would much prefer using Air Root Pruning  Containers, where the root tips are pruned by air. - Millet

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 02:56:06 AM »
There are a couple other threads on microkote and even how to mix your own. Just search for them.

You normally see people grow things like tomatoes which is not a good comparison to trees with tap roots. Carlos has videos of avocados grown in microkote and air pruning pots. I forget what the results were.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:14:59 AM »
Yep, Carlos's videos showed excellent results with MicroKote, which is why I started using it.

Actually I just upotted this week a Bearss Lime, Lisbon Lemon and Washington Navel Orange from 5 gallon (with MicoKote) to 10 gallon. The were *absolutely no* circling roots at all. And they were in the 5 gallon pots for way too long, at least 6 months longer than they should have been. But you could see the root terminals all over the rootball. They were extremely dense and fibrous (I wish I took a picture).

I have to go with MicroKote in my environment vs air-pruning pots. I would need to water my trees several times a day in AZ summer if I went the air pot route (high heat, almost no humidity). My mixes are also much heavier than what most people recommend because I need to retain much more moisture in the pot. It still drains well, but I have a lot of compost in my mixes to increase organic matter and water retention.
- Mark

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:20:56 PM »
check E/B for microKote and you can buy a 3 lb of copper powder for $38 00. From what i read you don't need much per one gl of paint. I have 8 25gls containers to do some uppotting. You only need 26 oz's per gallon and that is all i need.

danero2004

• Iasi,Romania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 02:42:30 AM »
Copper is in Microkote because the copper will prune the root tips, causing new side branching of the root from the pruned tip back 4 inches (known as the "4-Inch Rule").   I guess it would be "OK" to use Microkote, but I would much prefer using Air Root Pruning  Containers, where the root tips are pruned by air. - Millet

Is that real ? 4 inches pruning from a short touch on the painted surface ? I saw a video on a mango tree that was planted in a Microkote painted pot and it was ok , the tree looked healthy

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 12:40:16 PM »

Is that real ? 4 inches pruning from a short touch on the painted surface ? I saw a video on a mango tree that was planted in a Microkote painted pot and it was ok , the tree looked healthy

I think the 4 inches comes from the plants reaction to pruning rather than any direct physical effect of the tip damage.  Millet has posted some information on this before, and I think the RootMaker website explains it in detail.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 01:11:12 PM »
The Four Inch Rule:
The 4-inch rule to maximize root branching in containers should be a consideration at every transplant.  Anyone that has ever pruned shrubs or trees to make a hedge has experienced the "4-inch rule".  It has long been known that when a twig or branch is cut in the pruning process branching occurs, but did you notice where?  Typically from the point of the pruning cut and extending back about 4 inches.  Allow the numerous branches produced as a result of the first pruning to grow out 4 to 6 inches then prune again and more branching occurs.  Branching occurs as a result of the removal of the terminal bud, and the hormone that suppresses branching (also known as apical dominance). What has been known for only a few years is the fact that the four inch rule applies to roots as well.  This is especially dramatic with young roots, which are the below ground counterparts to the twigs pruned to create a hedge.  As roots grow older they become less responsive to pruning just as occurs with larger limbs and branches. Root tips exert an apical dominance just like twigs.  With roots, the white tip is most responsive, and when air root pruning , or copper pruning, occurs at the proper location, secondary roots typically begin to forum quickly and within 3 to 5 days the 4-inch rule is obvious. By utilizing the 4-inch rule, root branching is maximized through the growth medium, which in turn stimulates top growth and improves the tree's quality. Combine the 4-inch rule with alert and timely transplanting, plant growth and quality of both tops and roots take a giant step forware. - Millet
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:39:14 PM by Millet »